Lincoln - the North's Farce That Keeps on Giving Even Today

11,899 Views | 276 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Redbrickbear
Thee University
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many Americans cherish the image of Honest Abe Lincoln: a lad born in humble circumstances who succeeded by hard, sleeves-rolled-up work; became President, fulfilling his lifelong goal of freeing the slaves, meanwhile saving government of, by and for the people; and was martyred and wafted to Heaven by angels.
This image is folklore, no more related to the facts of Lincoln's career than the legend of Paul Bunyan, but the image seems ineradicable. For many it serves as the cornerstone of their identity as members of a peculiarly virtuous American nation, as a substitute for religion and cultural heritage. I say folklore and not myth because a genuine myth rises from the people, but folklore is an artificial commercial product.
There has always been a minority who have questioned the folklore. They have pointed out that Lincoln was a wealthy corporation lawyer and a crafty and pathologically ambitious politician, who had an ambiguous and opportunistic relationship to slavery and Christianity. Who carried out a cruel war of invasion and conquest against other Americans, countenancing total war against civilians. Who caused a war that he thought would give him a short and easy victory but led to the greatest bloodbath in American history. Who turned loose the slaves without any interest in their survival or progress. Who installed the rule of Big Business in U.S. affairs. And who violently changed the American regime from a Union into a centralized empire.
There are some, like George Will and James McPherson, who admit that Lincoln made a revolutionary change in our country but praise that as a good thing. But many of us who are dissatisfied with living in a decaying American empire think that Lincoln revolution is the key to many of today's ills and that Americans must obtain a realistic view of his history in order to recover a healthy course.
The anti-Lincoln argument has created a great literature in the past few decades. Dr. Thomas DiLorenzo's works, The Real Lincoln and Lincoln Unmasked are seminal in this effort. The poet Edgar Lee Masters's expose' from the early 20th century, Lincoln-The Man, has been republished. We also have Charles T. Pace, Lincoln as He Really Was; Jonathan White, Northern Opposition to Mr. Lincoln's War; John A. Emison, Lincoln Uber Ales; Howard White, Rebirthing Lincoln; and recently Walter D. Kennedy and Al Benson, Lincoln, Marx, and the GOP, and Kennedy's Lincoln: Non-Christian President. I understand there is a book in process with new information about Lincoln's less than philanthropic treatment of the slaves acquired from his wife's family.
"Lincoln's Quest for Empire," a new two-hour documentary, is a splendid addition to the true Lincoln case. One viewer writes: "I didn't think anyone in our times had the courage to tell the truth on so many levels." Another says: "You will never find anywhere a superior presentation in word and picture of what happened in those {Lincoln] years and its questionable results."
The documentary was produced by the Seppi family of Californiaa long project based on their own knowledge and resources. They are neither professional historians nor professional documentary makers, but they have mastered both crafts superbly.
There are beautiful pictorial selections and a dozen extended interviews covering every varied aspect of the Lincoln case with a very appropriate theme "Lincoln's Quest for Empire." Among the many interviewed are people who will be recognized by most readers of this siteDonald Kennedy, Donald Livingston, Paul Graham, the Rev. J. Steven Wilkins, the Rev. Douglas Wilson, Kirkpatrick Sale, and others.
Here is a good and unique presentation of those troubled years of American history, the long effects of which trouble many of us today. The DVD can be acquired at https://lincolnsquestforempire.com and other formats will become available
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Redbrickbear
I give it 30 years before Liberals in America dumb Lincoln.

He was basically a White nationalist and wanted to deport the black population back to Africa.

He is only useful to them right now as a symbol of Federal power crushing the States
KaiBear
Amazing what an assassination can accomplish for a president's legacy if conducted at the right time.

Lincoln was widely hated in many areas of the North 6 months before his death.

But dying so soon after the war was won elevated Lincoln to a status completely out of proportion to his accomplishments.

Same thing occurred involving JFK.

Whose presidency, objectively, was a complete failure.

Mitch Blood Green
My man from Illinois

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2024/02/19/biden-14th-in-scholars--presidential-rankings--trump-last
Mitch Blood Green
Greatest General in American History

BellCountyBear
Mitch Blood Green said:

Also likely the most chronically inebriated. Weird.
Mitch Blood Green
BellCountyBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Also likely the most chronically inebriated. Weird.

I'd be drunk too if I were tasked with fighting countrymen who were willing to send boys to die so that they could enslave people for profit.
KaiBear
Mitch Blood Green said:

LOL

Mrs Lincoln bitterly referred to Grant as ' butcher ' because of his horrific casualties. At Cold Harbor alone his army suffered over 10,000 killed and wounded in less than 48 hours .

Due to Grants insistence on 4 straight infantry attacks against massed confederate artillery located on higher ground.

But at least you are consistent with your choices.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Redbrickbear said:

He was basically a White nationalist and wanted to deport the black population back to Africa.

Not true. He wanted to send them back to Africa because at the time it was the right thing to do. It just was not economically feasible.

So you not only hate the Jews, but hate Abraham Lincoln as well. Can't say that I'm surprised.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Hopefully there are a couple of Honest Abe statues remaining in Austin that you can tear down with your
Ford F-250.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Not sure who is worse, - the Loony Tune Lefties intent on changing/ deleting history or extreme right Conservatives that want to change history. Both factions are dangerous.

-- Barack Obama
Wangchung
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Not sure who is worse, - the Loony Tune Lefties intent on changing/ deleting history or extreme right Conservatives that want to change history. Both factions are dangerous.
We should load them all up into box cars and force Quebec to take them.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Mitch Blood Green
KaiBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

LOL

Mrs Lincoln bitterly referred to Grant as ' butcher ' because of his horrific casualties. At Cold Harbor alone his army suffered over 10,000 killed and wounded in less than 48 hours .

Due to Grants insistence on 4 straight infantry attacks against massed confederate artillery located on higher ground.

We have 4 pictures hanging in our home. Martin Luther King Jr. jFK, Ulysses S Grant and White Jesus.
KaiBear
Mitch Blood Green said:

KaiBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

LOL

We have 4 pictures hanging in our home. Martin Luther King Jr. jFK, Ulysses S Grant and White Jesus.

Doubt you would pay for frames for any of them.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
KaiBear said:

But dying so soon after the war was won elevated Lincoln to a status completely out of proportion to his accomplishments.

I respectfully disagree on both counts. Lincoln made some tough decisions and was hated by half the country. JFK was the first President to threaten to dismantle the Deep State. It cost him his life.

1961 - "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

2024 - "To Hell with you - we are sending all of your money to other countries."

-- Barack Obama
KaiBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

I respectfully disagree on both counts. Lincoln made some tough decisions and was hated by half the country. JFK was the first President to threaten to dismantle the Deep State. It cost him his life.

1961 - "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

2024 - "To Hell with you - we are sending all of your money to other countries."

JFK was the poster child for Deep State.

Too many failures to list here.

However he had a handsome mug, , a gorgeous wife , great speechwriters and Daddy's millions.

But most of all JFK had all the DC media securely in his pocket. Keeping his numerous affairs and drug addictions quiet even for a decade after his assassination.
Redbrickbear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

I respectfully disagree on both counts. Lincoln made some tough decisions and was hated by half the country. "

He violated the Constitution and suspended civil liberties to prevent the Southern States from being independent.

Got 600,000 Americans killed vs letting natural secession take place and let people form their own country.

He was basically King George but more hypocritical.

(King George of course did not exercise real political power in the British system)
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

However he had a handsome mug, , a gorgeous wife , great speechwriters and Daddy's millions.

But most of all JFK had all the DC media securely in his pocket. Keeping his numerous affairs and drug addictions quiet even for a decade after his assassination.
With all due respect, Sir, I enjoy the conversation. But I thought I was on your "ignore" list?

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

Can you imagine if Joe Biden was in a Cuban Missile Crisis situation with Russia? Would he surrender or send Putin a couple of pallets of U.S. $Benjamins$???? Or both? Sending piles of money seems to be ole Joe's solution to any problem.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Redbrickbear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

I respectfully disagree on both counts. Lincoln made some tough decisions and was hated by half the country. "

He violated the Constitution and suspended civil liberties to prevent the Southern States from being independent.

Got 600,000 Americans killed vs letting natural secession take place and let people form their own country.

When Joe Biden wins in November by 10 million votes, I don't think he will take the same hard line with the seceding states that Lincoln did. Besides having no mind left, he has no balls and no backbone.

-- Barack Obama
KaiBear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

With all due respect, Sir, I enjoy the conversation. But I thought I was on your "ignore" list?

You are.

Saw your initial comment only because I had not logged in yet . Thought it was worth a response .

My mistake.

Back you go.
ATL Bear
Redbrickbear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

(King George of course did not exercise real political power in the British system)
Like King George, the Confederacy lost the war. Most pivotal historical moments typically boil down to lost wars/battles.
KaiBear
ATL Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

Like King George, the Confederacy lost the war. Most pivotal historical moments typically boil down to lost wars/battles.

True

Unfortunately the US has a terrible habit of losing the peace.

Which it certainly did in regards to the civil war and the horrible hypocrisy that was Reconstruction.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

You are.

Saw your initial comment only because I had not logged in yet . Thought it was worth a response .

My mistake.

Back you go.
LOL! Such drama!

Have a good evening.

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
Thee University said:

Many Americans cherish the image of Honest Abe Lincoln: a lad born in humble circumstances who succeeded by hard, sleeves-rolled-up work; became President, fulfilling his lifelong goal of freeing the slaves, meanwhile saving government of, by and for the people; and was martyred and wafted to Heaven by angels.
This image is folklore, no more related to the facts of Lincoln's career than the legend of Paul Bunyan, but the image seems ineradicable. For many it serves as the cornerstone of their identity as members of a peculiarly virtuous American nation, as a substitute for religion and cultural heritage. I say folklore and not myth because a genuine myth rises from the people, but folklore is an artificial commercial product.
There has always been a minority who have questioned the folklore. They have pointed out that Lincoln was a wealthy corporation lawyer and a crafty and pathologically ambitious politician, who had an ambiguous and opportunistic relationship to slavery and Christianity. Who carried out a cruel war of invasion and conquest against other Americans, countenancing total war against civilians. Who caused a war that he thought would give him a short and easy victory but led to the greatest bloodbath in American history. Who turned loose the slaves without any interest in their survival or progress. Who installed the rule of Big Business in U.S. affairs. And who violently changed the American regime from a Union into a centralized empire.
There are some, like George Will and James McPherson, who admit that Lincoln made a revolutionary change in our country but praise that as a good thing. But many of us who are dissatisfied with living in a decaying American empire think that Lincoln revolution is the key to many of today's ills and that Americans must obtain a realistic view of his history in order to recover a healthy course.
The anti-Lincoln argument has created a great literature in the past few decades. Dr. Thomas DiLorenzo's works, The Real Lincoln and Lincoln Unmasked are seminal in this effort. The poet Edgar Lee Masters's expose' from the early 20th century, Lincoln-The Man, has been republished. We also have Charles T. Pace, Lincoln as He Really Was; Jonathan White, Northern Opposition to Mr. Lincoln's War; John A. Emison, Lincoln Uber Ales; Howard White, Rebirthing Lincoln; and recently Walter D. Kennedy and Al Benson, Lincoln, Marx, and the GOP, and Kennedy's Lincoln: Non-Christian President. I understand there is a book in process with new information about Lincoln's less than philanthropic treatment of the slaves acquired from his wife's family.
"Lincoln's Quest for Empire," a new two-hour documentary, is a splendid addition to the true Lincoln case. One viewer writes: "I didn't think anyone in our times had the courage to tell the truth on so many levels." Another says: "You will never find anywhere a superior presentation in word and picture of what happened in those {Lincoln] years and its questionable results."
The documentary was produced by the Seppi family of Californiaa long project based on their own knowledge and resources. They are neither professional historians nor professional documentary makers, but they have mastered both crafts superbly.
There are beautiful pictorial selections and a dozen extended interviews covering every varied aspect of the Lincoln case with a very appropriate theme "Lincoln's Quest for Empire." Among the many interviewed are people who will be recognized by most readers of this siteDonald Kennedy, Donald Livingston, Paul Graham, the Rev. J. Steven Wilkins, the Rev. Douglas Wilson, Kirkpatrick Sale, and others.
Here is a good and unique presentation of those troubled years of American history, the long effects of which trouble many of us today. The DVD can be acquired at https://lincolnsquestforempire.com and other formats will become available
"Many Americans cherish the image of Honest Abe Lincoln: a lad born in humble circumstances who succeeded by hard, sleeves-rolled-up work; became President, fulfilling his lifelong goal of freeing the slaves, meanwhile saving government of, by and for the people; and was martyred and wafted to Heaven by angels." said No historian anywhere
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf
KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

You missed at least one thing here, if I'm going along with this premise, he has an exceptional way of delivering those speeches. He made people "feel" like he was speaking directly to them. It was like he empathized with them personally. He was able to connect with people like no other president.

Looking back at his personal life, he was certainly a scoundrel, right up there with LBJ.
Oldbear83
Wow, lots of spleen-venting here.

I have read up on the Presidents over the years, and while there are some clear failures and clear winners, on the whole I believe that most of our Presidents have been decent men doing a difficult job which demands change sometimes by the hour.

I agree with some of the criticism of both JFK and Lincoln, but still believe context matters. Kennedy certainly got the DNC nomination pretty much because daddy bought it for him, but his economic policies were generally sound and while he screwed up both the Bay of Pigs debacle and the Cuban Missile Crisis, he also did a good job setting up a line of communication between the White House and the Kremlin, and JFK's NASA vision was a great ideal for the nation.

As for Lincoln, writings from the time show that the nation was already careening towards Civil War when Lincoln ran for President. So it's hard to say who could have averted that war. As for the expectation that the war would be an easy win, my understanding is that the South got much better officers than the North expected or realized, and McLellen, who had a well-deserved reputation for training good soldiers, was out of his depth in a major campaign where he would actually have to take risks.

As for what Lincoln meant to do with freed slaves, I think he originally meant to not touch the Slavery issue but did so after the South made Slavery it's be-all reason for every dispute. Without much prior thought, the question of what to do with so many people suddenly given freedom but none of the resources to make it practically effective was bound to lead to something like what we saw in Reconstruction.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TenBears
So now JFK, Lincoln and Grant were all losers. Is this heading toward a conclusion that Trump was the only acceptable president in US history?
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

I give it 30 years before Liberals in America dumb Lincoln.

He is only useful to them right now as a symbol of Federal power crushing the States
Odd way of saying "let them go home".
Thee University
Any President that would unleash Sherman in the name of "reconstruction" and look the other way is/was evil.

I was raised rural Texan and grew quickly to understand why there is still a large percentage of those living below the Mason-Dixon who have very, very little respect for the North and their attitudes toward the South.

I still do not respect a lot of what constitutes the North. The documentary I mentioned above is further proof (since the contributors reference actual Lincoln comments & actions) that he was a fraud and the Yankees quickly scrambled to write their version of his fraudulent legacy.

Every single monument or statue of Lincoln should be given the exact same treatment the woke, knee-jerk shaming crowd continue to carry out. A large percentage of our spineless countrymen, countrywomen & countryits will undoubtedly rally together to lift up thugs, losers and the wicked over greater Americans.

Tell the truth! Honor the truth! Accept the truth!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
KaiBear
Forest Bueller_bf said:

KaiBear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

KaiBear said:

You missed at least one thing here, if I'm going along with this premise, he has an exceptional way of delivering those speeches. He made people "feel" like he was speaking directly to them. It was like he empathized with them personally. He was able to connect with people like no other president.

Looking back at his personal life, he was certainly a scoundrel, right up there with LBJ.

Yes, he could deliver a good speech AFTER he got his daily injections .

But please keep in mind …….JFK had the good fortune to follow a series of old presidents.

Eisenhower ( heart attacks ) Truman , FDR ( crippled with polio then clearly dying his last 10 months )

The media immediately fell in love with JFK's young glamorous wife, and the couple in general.

JFK's long list of affairs while president was widely known among DC insiders but they kept quiet.

His addiction to various steroids and pain killers was less known . But again, no one spilled the beans.

More important than his personal failings were his policy failures

1. Failed to do much of anything about racial equality except a phone call to MLK's wife when the civil rights leader was in jail.
2. Repeatedly demanded for the assassination of Fidel Castro . When the CIA failed JFK called upon his Daddy's mafia connections and then they failed as well .
3. Bay of Pigs fiasco
4. Cuban Missile Crisis fiasco.
5. Vietnam fiasco
6. Directed the CIA to arrange the murder of the president of South Vietnam.

Easily the most overrated president of the 20th century.

Yet the fantasy of ' Camelot ' still endures .

Redbrickbear
There are certain facts about the past they don't want to teach kids…

"The [Emancipation] proclamation invites servile insurrection as an element in this emancipation crusade--a means of warfare, the inhumanity & diabolism of which are without example in civilized warfare, and which we denounce..."
-Illinois State Legislature, 1/7/1863

Mitch Blood Green
KaiBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

KaiBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

LOL

White Jesus has the nails through his hands for effect.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Thee University said:

I was raised rural Texan and grew quickly to understand why there is still a large percentage of those living below the Mason-Dixon who have very, very little respect for the North and their attitudes toward the South.

Man, you almost sound like you want some of them thar slave owner reparations!!!

-- Barack Obama
KaiBear
Mitch Blood Green said:

KaiBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

KaiBear said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

LOL

White Jesus has the nails through his hands for effect.
Figured a big spender like you routinely used thumb tacks for all your Dollar Store posters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.