Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,683 Views | 998 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by wongobear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IvanBear said:

bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

BUbackerinET said:

IvanBear said:

BUbackerinET said:

Ok, I get your meaning, but did you get mine? He could win multiple additional Nattys right here, and there is no impediment to that. To the contrary, we have given him literally everything he has asked for, and he is in the top 6 in salary now. He has a shiney new basketball arena, a bevy of donors willing to give more, a good staff, and a nice class coming in. Regrettably, despite all the reasons he should stay, I think he's going to leave, along with this class, and likely some existing players. If this does happen, my vote is for McClaslin, first because he's a helluva coach, knows the culture, and best of all would stick to TTU for the McGuire fiasco.
I want to believe this, but we're still losing recruiting battles over NIL. It's just not true we're giving him everything he needs, I don't think we realistically can.

What is your source or example for the NIL comment? Iirc, we won 3 battles last year, and one high profile one in Escombe.
Everything I hear about Trey Johnson was it was a bidding war we lost.
Do you expect Baylor to match the resources of the haves biggest blue bloods. That's not going to happen. It's frankly a minor miracle that we've been in as many of those battles as we have.

No, but Trey Johnson did not go to a blue blood.
That's likely because Edgecombe chose us over two of them. We don't have unlimited resources. And Texas has way more money and resources than we have.
boognish_bear
How am I supposed to get anything done today?
ScottS
Does Mack need to redo Drew's contract ASAP?
IvanBear
Bleed Green said:

BUbackerinET said:

IvanBear said:

BUbackerinET said:

Ok, I get your meaning, but did you get mine? He could win multiple additional Nattys right here, and there is no impediment to that. To the contrary, we have given him literally everything he has asked for, and he is in the top 6 in salary now. He has a shiney new basketball arena, a bevy of donors willing to give more, a good staff, and a nice class coming in. Regrettably, despite all the reasons he should stay, I think he's going to leave, along with this class, and likely some existing players. If this does happen, my vote is for McClaslin, first because he's a helluva coach, knows the culture, and best of all would stick to TTU for the McGuire fiasco.
I want to believe this, but we're still losing recruiting battles over NIL. It's just not true we're giving him everything he needs, I don't think we realistically can.

What is your source or example for the NIL comment? Iirc, we won 3 battles last year, and one high profile one in Escombe.
18 months ago we announced a $3.5 million NIL budget for the athletic program according to One3. They also reported Arkansas is setting up a $5 million NIL budget just for basketball. Our coaches do not have everything they need. I'm not advocating that we have to match those numbers, but the truth is the truth.
This goes back to the story of, we have boosters with Tyson level money. They just hate everyone in charge of our school.
Johnny Bear
If it's true that he's flying to Lexington it's likely a done deal as I'm sure he's already well aware of the terms being offered and the time to negotiate with your existing employer for a counter offer is before you go to that trouble. Not saying it's impossible that he could travel there and then come back to give Rhoades a "last chance" to persuade him to stay, but that would seem to be highly unlikely - especially for a guy like Drew.
BUbackerinET
Perhaps, but will prove to be a blessing, if Edgecombe comes, but I suspect he is now headed to Kentucky. I think I'm going to be sick
DR0941
Quick someone get Bill Gates and Hurd married so he can throw us an NIL bag
bear2be2
BUbackerinET said:

Perhaps, but will prove to be a blessing, if Edgecombe comes.
He's not coming. He'll be let out of his LOI if Drew leaves, and rightly so.
ScottS
DR0941 said:

Shotgun wedding possible?
Bleed Green
Drew is the exact kind of guy that would fly there without knowing for sure he is going to take it. He is the type of guy who would like to go get a feel before he agrees. That doesn't mean he isn't going to agree, but he is definitely the type of guy that goes and feels it out before signing on.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BUbackerinET said:

If Drew is gone, everyone is gone. We start from scratch.
cowboycwr
Bleed Green said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

Jordan said:

This isn't an institution of football (or basketball). Baylor we are and Baylor we will always be. Banners fly forever, enjoy '21, we got lucky af to have CSD and CAB for the time we had them and accept the reality we don't have the stones to be a major player. It is what it is.
We don't have the lineup to play with the really big boys. We have big HR hitters but don't have enough of the doubles and triples people to play in the upper echelon. We will never be a Goliath. And anyone who thinks David's shot wasn't an anomaly (or guided by God in my case) or would be a regular result is silly. Our NIL will not compete with almost any major state school. To blame Mack for that is coping. It is imperative that our coaches know how to maximize NIL. I give Aranda one more year to figure that out, because I know that he is incredibly respected for his X & O's knowledge in HS and college circles. I absolutely loved the CAB days but looking back can understand what they were. We should have been given the chance but we would not have beaten Alabama in any playoff. Lots of his kids got drafted and almost none of them stayed in the league more than a couple of years. He was a an awesome football magician, who probably would have left for a big time program if not for the scandal. Mulkey... i probably know more than I should but I loved her strictly because she won. Nothing else about her was desirable as a representation of Baylor and I cannot imagine what she would have been like with NIL in place. I don't have sources in the program anymore, but I can almost guarantee the basketball office is a better place to work without her there. She is the bad side of Bobby Knight without the witty humor.
I don't care how a coaches players perform in the NFL. I care about wins at Baylor. I have always and will always hate that argument when talking about coaches.

No one says that about Saban and his lack of QBs or running backs lasting in the NFL for much of his time at Bama.

Also, no one at Bama cared that they did not win Heisman trophies because they were winning National Championships (they only won their first Heisman two years before Baylor got one)
Nobody cared about Bama QB's or RB's (almost all of which were as or more successful than ours) because they kept talking about the LB's, DL's, OL's, DB's and WR's who were killing it in the NFL and didn't have enough time to get to the QB's and RB's. Saban won with defense and the vast majority of his defenders were successful in the NFL. We won with offense, and almost none of ours made it 3 years as a starter. How many teams have made the CFP without NFL talent? Probably very few if any. It will get better with the new system but the final 2 will still be filled with NFL talent 95% of the time.

And I loved the CAB days! Exciting and fun!
No they didn't care about ANY position and how they do in the NFL.

They care about NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

And no the QBs (until the last few years) have not had more success in the NFL than us.
BUbackerinET
bear2be2 said:

BUbackerinET said:

He's not coming. He'll be let out of his LOI if Drew leaves, and rightly so.

Modified my original to say that.
Big12Fan2024
Johnny Bear said:

If it's true that he's flying to Lexington it's likely a done deal as I'm sure he's already well aware of the terms being offered and the time to negotiate with your existing employer for a counter offer is before you go to that trouble. Not saying it's impossible that he could travel there and then come back to give Rhoades a "last chance" to persuade him to stay, but that would seem to be highly unlikely - especially for a guy like Drew.
The fact that a few assistants around the country apparently talked last night and said he was vetting potential staff basically says he was gone then.
Bleed Green
cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

Jordan said:

This isn't an institution of football (or basketball). Baylor we are and Baylor we will always be. Banners fly forever, enjoy '21, we got lucky af to have CSD and CAB for the time we had them and accept the reality we don't have the stones to be a major player. It is what it is.
We don't have the lineup to play with the really big boys. We have big HR hitters but don't have enough of the doubles and triples people to play in the upper echelon. We will never be a Goliath. And anyone who thinks David's shot wasn't an anomaly (or guided by God in my case) or would be a regular result is silly. Our NIL will not compete with almost any major state school. To blame Mack for that is coping. It is imperative that our coaches know how to maximize NIL. I give Aranda one more year to figure that out, because I know that he is incredibly respected for his X & O's knowledge in HS and college circles. I absolutely loved the CAB days but looking back can understand what they were. We should have been given the chance but we would not have beaten Alabama in any playoff. Lots of his kids got drafted and almost none of them stayed in the league more than a couple of years. He was a an awesome football magician, who probably would have left for a big time program if not for the scandal. Mulkey... i probably know more than I should but I loved her strictly because she won. Nothing else about her was desirable as a representation of Baylor and I cannot imagine what she would have been like with NIL in place. I don't have sources in the program anymore, but I can almost guarantee the basketball office is a better place to work without her there. She is the bad side of Bobby Knight without the witty humor.
I don't care how a coaches players perform in the NFL. I care about wins at Baylor. I have always and will always hate that argument when talking about coaches.

No one says that about Saban and his lack of QBs or running backs lasting in the NFL for much of his time at Bama.

Also, no one at Bama cared that they did not win Heisman trophies because they were winning National Championships (they only won their first Heisman two years before Baylor got one)
Nobody cared about Bama QB's or RB's (almost all of which were as or more successful than ours) because they kept talking about the LB's, DL's, OL's, DB's and WR's who were killing it in the NFL and didn't have enough time to get to the QB's and RB's. Saban won with defense and the vast majority of his defenders were successful in the NFL. We won with offense, and almost none of ours made it 3 years as a starter. How many teams have made the CFP without NFL talent? Probably very few if any. It will get better with the new system but the final 2 will still be filled with NFL talent 95% of the time.

And no the QBs (until the last few years) have not had more success in the NFL than us.
okay, you are right... a true football genius.
cowboycwr
boognish_bear said:

What is up with the point about his wife being introverted??

Probably that they can go out around town without being mobbed.

Or that the majority of BU fans would not know where his house is to put for sale signs up.

That they can go to their kids events at school and be parents first, not local celebs.

Basically the opposite of what we heard about Rhule's wife not liking small towns....
Johnny Bear
Bleed Green said:

Drew is the exact kind of guy that would fly there without knowing for sure he is going to take it. He is the type of guy who would like to go get a feel before he agrees. That doesn't mean he isn't going to agree, but he is definitely the type of guy that goes and feels it out before signing on.

I think he's smart enough and has more than been around long enough to at least "have a feel" for what being the HC at UK would be like and what it would entail without having to fly there first. Again, not suggesting it's an impossibility, but it just seems highly unlikely to me that he would take the time to fly there If the decision to accept the offer wasn't at least 99% made in advance.
cowboycwr
gobears20 said:

Going to go crazy lol

So it was a decoy flight???
boognish_bear
possible12
IowaBear said:

Yup
Truly crazy that Drew is even considering the gig. Not saying UK is a bad gig it's one of If not the premier gig in CBB. It's just such an odd fit. Drew to my knowledge hasn't faced much fan backflash in Waco. He's going to get pummeled with backslash and fan hate the moment he loses his first game. Not to mention if he exits early in the dance….
He's got it made in Waco and has virtually no pressure. The literal opposite would be in case in Lexington
Went to a Kentucky/UH game in Gillispie's first or 2nd year. (In Houston). It was startling the bright lights, press, hangers on on the floor pre game. An absolute Beatles like atmosphere.. Blue everywhere.

At team bus arrival, security was overwhelmed.

Booster "lucheons" will be night and day. "Introverts" beware, lol. Those type cheap shots will just have to "roll off a duck's back" It ain't the Trib anymore.
whitetrash
DR0941 said:

If that happened we would more likely end up with a DEI bag…
cowboycwr
Bleed Green said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

Jordan said:

okay, you are right... a true football genius.
LOL. Never said I was.

I was merely pointing out that the fans of Alabama do not care about NFL success or failure.

They care about winning at Alabama. Just as myself and many other BU fans care about how BU does each season. Not about if the coach is nice. IF he once cussed at a player. If he is getting the guys ready for the NFL or anything else like that.

We care that he wins and runs a clean program.
2Bears
I was hoping Drew and family would go and hate the crowd today and frenzy surrounding it all. I guess there is conflicting information on whether or not he is there today or not. Kentucky will certainly be a change from Baylor/Waco, and he has embraced Waco for 21 years. I listened to the recent video after that Louisville interest. He said he wanted to be where God wanted him- hoping badly that is Baylor!
EvilTroyAndAbed
cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

Jordan said:

Dude, you have been supporting the wrong school. We're gonna compete and break through every now and again, but in the NIL era, you better get your Georgia or Ohio State gear.
Porteroso
Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built
What even is this take?

Would you similarly say that John Wooden was coasting after 1964? Was Mike Krzyzewski coasting after 1991? How does staying at a place you literally built up from nothing mean you're not interested in improving? What a wild post.

I'm sorry but Baylor is not like those you posted. To compare Wooden or Krzyzewski to Drew is wild, and comparing Baylor to UCLA or Duke is wild.

Drew will never again have the situation he had for the natty. It was once in a lifetime to have covid encourage upperclassmen to band together to stay and see what they were capable of. It will not happen again.

What I'm not saying is that Drew won't do his best at Baylor. Obviously he will. But Kentucky would simply be a more demanding job, and he would be forced to improve his coaching, make some changes, that are difficult to know how to improve or change, in an entrenched position.
You might want to took a look at how many national championships UCLA and Duke had won prior to Wooden and Krzyzewski, homie. UCLA and Duke are UCLA and Duke BECAUSE of those two coaches. They single-handedly turned those schools into bluebloods.

Furthermore, if you think Drew hasn't grown or changed anything over his tenure at Baylor, you might want to get some measurements for a pair of clown shoes.

He's home from strictly man defense to fully zone, back to fully M2M, and now mixes them, when needed. He's changed his recruiting and transfer strategy 3-4x over his tenure. He's changed from an athletic, "drive to score" offensive philosophy, to a perimeter-oriented, "drive-to-dish" system.

I wonder how much Baylor basketball you've watched over Drew's tenure if you think he isn't open to changes.

You just don't get it, and won't no matter what I say. You cannot replicate top environments. Drew has an opportunity to move up, and he would be challenged in many ways. He would have to change and improve. He might want that challenge, and he might not. I don't know. But it would certainly be a move I'd respect.

A lot of you are stuck on the job being no better than the Baylor job, like it's just more stress and less fun. That is just not all there is to it. Reaching for the top in a field is its own reward.
You're moving the goalposts. The discussion was about whether or not he'd be "coasting" and "not wanting to improve" if he stayed at Baylor.

No one has objectively said that Baylor is a job on the level of Kentucky. Of course UK is a bigger/better job. My point was, Scott Drew has the opportunity to build something here. He can be our Wooden or Coach K. No one accused those guys of coasting when they stayed where they had won the school's first ever Natty. If he goes to UK, he's going to be expected to restore them to previous heights, which means Final Four is the baseline expectation every single year.

Different people want different things. Some people want to work for the McKinseys and Bains of the world. Some people want to build their own business from the ground up and run it their way. There is no right or wrong, and saying that someone who chooses to build something isn't going to challenge themselves or is "coasting" because they would prefer that over working for a world-class market leader is a silly comment to make. That's my point.
Not wanting to improve? You typed that, not me. What I said is that the UK job would force him to further improve. I explained it as much as you could want. Yes, he could rest and coast at Baylor, you don't agree? I'm sure he would give his best, he clearly does every season. But the pressure, the expectations, the accolades, they are simply different at Baylor compared to UK. Baylor simply does not demand as much, and he has already overdelivered. There is a certain mentality in that situation that changes when you move to probably a top job in the country, in certain aspects. If you disagree, and think Drew's production would be the same at UK, as at Baylor, we just disagree.
cowboycwr
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

cowboycwr said:

Bleed Green said:

Jordan said:

Dude, you have been supporting the wrong school. We're gonna compete and break through every now and again, but in the NIL era, you better get your Georgia or Ohio State gear.

You are confusing what I am saying about bama with my support for BU.

IvanBear
boognish_bear said:

I want to know what an A level hire is to this guy. Kentucky just said said John Calipari isn't good enough to counter on offer of a lower $ contract.
Guitarbiscuit
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Yogi said:

Come on, Coach. You have to ask yourself, "If Kentucky is such a great job, why is Coach Cal going elsewhere rather than riding that job into retirement?"

That being said, it's probably time to get the search committee together so we can keep our team from entering the portal.

I've been trying to stay out of the "if he leaves" discussion since nothing has happened yet. But the team is gone if he's gone. They come for the coach, not the school. If he leaves, we're starting over.

We won't be starting over ( look at where we were in 2002) but perennial top 25 is gone.
DR0941

LOL
TeamPlayer
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

BUbackerinET said:

If Drew is gone, everyone is gone. We start from scratch.
I mean, we kinda do that every year already. That's college basketball today unfortunately.

The world will not end if he leaves. We have a ton to offer.

Obviously we have three former assistants that would get considered. If we went outside, I mentioned the Samford coach a few days ago. Somebody else to think about would be Darvin Ham if the Lakers move on after a quick exit next week. Both appear to mesh well with our university's mission.
Porteroso
DR0941 said:

LOL
Have to say I hope it's not just misdirection. Can't say that I've ever thought Drew misdirected us. Hopefully a statement.
Big12Fan2024
How great is the world today where you can answer questions through social media that people probably had to wait days for in past times.
IvanBear
Porteroso said:

DR0941 said:

LOL
Have to say I hope it's not just misdirection. Can't say that I've ever thought Drew misdirected us. Hopefully a statement.

Drew isn't a troll or stupid surely this is a good sign.
IowaBear
Can you or someone confirm it's raining in Waco today lol kidding… sort of
Harrison Bergeron
Porteroso said:

DR0941 said:

LOL
I took it as a statement. Don't know him but does not seem like a guy that would misdirect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.