Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,577 Views | 998 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by wongobear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OurOurs said:

If I'm Drew, I'm also thinking about legacy at this point. While it would be tempting to have a change of scenery and a bigger stage, the reality is his name will never have the same weight in Lexington as he has here.

I have a feeling that if he leaves, it's unlikely that we will see his statue on campus. Similar to Mulkey a great, successful, longtime coach, but not an "immortal."

If he stays, we will see his statue before he retires. He will go down as Baylor's greatest sports coach of all-time. He will be a legend here forever. There is still a lot to accomplish at Baylor, and we need his JOY more than ever as a tentpole for the athletics programs and the university as a whole.

I think if he does leave, then he will have some buyer's remorse when he looks back at the end.
I think there's a better than fair chance you're right, but coaches don't think that way. They all think they'll be successful at their next stop.
OkieBear12
100% agree.

However, I will be one of the first to forgive and not hold it against him based on what he has given this university and the basketball program. That is, after I'm done being pissy and kicking rocks for a couple of days.

boognish_bear
I don't want to lose Drew....but if he leaves and we can pick up McCasland or Tang in short order I'll still feel hopeful for next year.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

The destruction of baylor athletics is near complete. Just a few more grains of sand

Briles treatment by the BoR toppled the entire thing.

Drama queen. We'll hire a good men's basketball coach and keep it rolling.

At worst, it will be a situation like women's hoops, where we go from a consistent championship contender to a really good, competitive program.

But Scott Drew left a strong foundation to build on. And we'll hire someone who can build on it.
bear2be2
No Quarterback said:

He gone. Officially irrelevant in every sport! Great job by Mack, Linda, and our BOR. at least we have nice facilities!

Good Lord, the fatalists are out in full force tonight.
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

Officially baffled beyond belief he made that Twitter post knowing his family was in Lexington. Little Busch league imo. Maybe I'm being dramatic. But that doesn't sit well with me

You're never dramatic
TomW
Bottom line is he has earned the benefit of the doubt. Can't think of a single reason he'd be immature with intent. I think the answer is simpler because Drew isn't motivated the same way we so so many others in society today. I'm sure he could turn it down out of hand, but he's earned the right to be curious. He won't make a decision his family isn't in on him with so they wanted to get a feel. He doesn't start considering it unless they would consider it. He can't lose. Both are great situations, great support. Different, but still great. And by photo opp'ing on Twitter he's revealing he wasn't going there for an interview. His family is working out what they feel. If they feel they could be there then he will consider and then the decision will be his. It may not seem possible someone is that decent, but I think he is and it's a good thing. Whether he stays or goes, he's earned the right for what decision he wants. He put our players before the program. We can put him before our program. Sometimes things are the Lord's timing and that might be to stay. He's seen the Briles, the Mulkey and the Rhule situations and there have been different choices and different outcomes from each. He's a midwesterner. His parents live about five hours from Lexington, it's not like he'd drive, but an hour flight to there is something different than 2.5 hours. Maybe that's silly to consider. Its disruption for his kids and they all have two decades of rooted friendships in Waco. Still doesn't change where his roots are.
IowaBear
Oh yes I am haha you know this!!
But I'm fairness it's mostly just in game threads. I'm pretty level headed otherwise
bear2be2
DallasBear9902 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

The administration doesn't want to keep Drew? We can't match UK financially, but that doesn't mean they don't want him. That's silly to think so.

No idea about Livingstone, but there is a dynamic within academic circles where they would love to be like Emory and Johns Hopkins and Carnegie Mellon where sports just aren't part of the equation at their school.

The UCLA and Cal admins have paid nominal lip service to sports and watched their athletic departments become shells of their former selves. The reality is that in a world where 60% of your new alumni are female each year, the passionate fans that care about athletics become a smaller portion of your university community.
Linda Livingstone was a college athlete. She's not anti-athletics in any way, shape or form.

Some of the narratives on this board are just silly.
boognish_bear
If I remember right I think this guy was frequently wrong about conference realignment.

Big12Fan2024
I've seen you say this a couple of times but his parents don't live 5 hours away. They live in Phoenix not far from Bryce's house and they have for several years. You may be one of the people fooled by the Valpo website error that still has Homer's AD bio from almost 10 years ago. Homer is retired now and has been for some time.
Calrocks94
Hope SMU burns to the ground. They're the thing for all this they said the domino effect by hiring USC coach.. really can't imagine Baylor basketball without Scott Drew I can't believe he would actually leave. I hope he stays, but we're gonna go through some dark days. If he leaves I can't believe someone who just built his dream home who got brand new arena has fully moved in with a top class coming in, actually would leave, I hope he's a bigger man stay we'll see
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

Scott and the Kentucky NIL won't have it easy. They will have to go firmly against

Cal at Arkansas, and a commitment from Arkansas BMDs to have as much or more NIL funds as Kentucky
Oats at Alabama, whose NIL is reportedly not any lower than Kentucky.
Barnes at Tennessee, whose NIL is in the range of Kentucky
Beard at Ole Miss, whose boosters have committed to up the ante on NIL
Pearl at Auburn, whose NIL is not that far off Kentucky's

And it will be interesting to see how long Texas rides with Terry or do they jettison him pretty quickly and bring their NIL up to the SEC top line. And what does LSU do if it feels it is starting to fall behind.

It won't be easy for Drew even in his own conference.
It wasn't easy for him in the Big 12, especially in his early years. I don't think he's afraid of a challenge.
Fre3dombear
IowaBear said:

Officially baffled beyond belief he made that Twitter post knowing his family was in Lexington. Little Busch league imo. Maybe I'm being dramatic. But that doesn't sit well with me

In the end it's gonna be like Mulky. She doesn't lose any sleep About breaking any committed die hard fans hearts. If she needed help they'd never do anything to help her. It's just bidness

Was weird he tweeted that, bit I wish Drew luck. Mack and Linda are in the Mt Rushmore of fail.

The enemy within.
Big12Fan2024
I didn't say he's afraid. I'm saying he is in a different territory. Finish 3rd or 4th or 5th in our conference and our fanbase is upset for 3 days and then over it. Finish the same in the SEC and Kentucky's fanbase won't be quiet.

I agree he likes the challenge and does not think of the negative side. He's like all successful coaches and assumes he will finish at the top each year. Reality may smack him in the face though and it won't be met with the same level of noise as he had here.
TeamPlayer
boognish_bear said:

If I remember right I think this guy was frequently wrong about conference realignment.

Well that ain't good.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

I don't want to lose Drew....but if he leaves and we can pick up McCasland or Tang in short order I'll still feel hopeful for next year.
I'll be excited.

This will sound like a cope, but I think we had kind of fallen in a frustrating one-and-done cycle that was going to be very hard to get out of.

I'll be sad to lose Drew, who I would prefer to stay obviously, but I'll be excited to see a new coach try to win a different way.

My feelings on McCasland are well known. If we can land him, we'll be good. Period. The guy has a .740 career winning percentage as a head coach and has never had a losing record at any level. He has a JUCO national title, two Division II Elite Eight appearances, an NCAA tournament win and two tournament championships (CBI and NIT) at North Texas and just led a successful first year at Tech. Bring him on and let's keep this train rolling forward.
Big12Fan2024
Greg Swaim

He has 2 sources of info

1. Rumors he makes up
2. Rumors he goes to every fan board and picks up something then runs back and acts like he is at the forefront
Jorkel
Scott can afford to go to Kentucky to see what kind of dog he is. Maybe he shakes up their program for the better. He might just win some games. If he doesn't win enough for Kentucky, so what, he will have plenty of head coaching opportunities after if he wants to continue being a coach. Your career doesn't have to die if you don't succeed at a stop. Thankful for his years at Baylor but I never cry tears over someone leaving for opportunities.
Big12Fan2024
I don't want to see Scott go but I would love to have McCasland. I love the tough edge his teams play with.
boognish_bear
He drunk

OkieBear12
I was about to say the same. One HUGE positive is we don't have to listen to some of our fans crying about one and dones cuz that won't be happening for a while. Roster continuity isn't always sexy but some stability can produce better results in March due to more senior teams.

I don't picture BU bball without Drew on the sidelines as he just seemed like a lifer (which is a shame as he won't end his career at UK either). However, I don't think we're instantly going back to the dark days. If we picked up McCasland, I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over this other than being sad to see the face of the program, culture of JOY, etc. not be on our side anymore.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

I'll be excited.

This will sound like a cope, but I think we had kind of fallen in a frustrating one-and-done cycle that was going to be very hard to get out of.

I'll be sad to lose Drew, who I would prefer to stay obviously, but I'll be excited to see a new coach try to win a different way.

My feelings on McCasland are well known. If we can land him, we'll be good. Period. The guy has a .740 career winning percentage as a head coach and has never had a losing record at any level. He has a JUCO national title, two Division II Elite Eight appearances, an NCAA tournament win and two tournament championships (CBI and NIT) at North Texas and just led a successful first year at Tech. Bring him on and let's keep this train rolling forward.

I agree. We slipped into the one and done pattern, which was not working for us, and which was not working for Calipari. And it just was way less fun to watch. I think if we pick up McCasland or Tang and have a program built on more long-term development and defense, we might be more fun to watch, and we might even have more success in the tournament. We have not been using the formula that won the national championship.
Guitarbiscuit
TeamPlayer said:

boognish_bear said:

Well that ain't good.

Nope. It's not. Well, it was fun while it lasted. And it lasted a long time.
IvanBear
OkieBear12 said:

I was about to say the same. One HUGE positive is we don't have to listen to some of our fans crying about one and dones cuz that won't be happening for a while. Roster continuity isn't always sexy but some stability can produce better results in March due to more senior teams.

I don't picture BU bball without Drew on the sidelines as he just seemed like a lifer (which is a shame as he won't end his career at UK). However, I don't think we're instantly going back to the dark days. If we picked up McCasland, I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over this other than being sad to see the face of the program, culture of JOY, etc. not be on our side anymore.
Our own boards are really down on Drew.

I think he's got at least 1 more Natty in him be it Baylor or Kentucky, and at Kentucky he's never going to get out bid for the portal players he wants.
Robert Wilson
IowaBear said:

I think you're making too much of that. He may not have made his mind up yet. He was at lunch with a buddy. He tweeted it. I think it's a mistake to read too much into it. He is at Baylor until he's not.
bear2be2
Jorkel said:

Scott can afford to go to Kentucky to see what kind of dog he is. Maybe he shakes up their program for the better. He might just win some games. If he doesn't win enough for Kentucky, so what, he will have plenty of head coaching opportunities after if he wants to continue being a coach. Your career doesn't have to die if you don't succeed at a stop. Thankful for his years at Baylor but I never cry tears over someone leaving for opportunities.
I don't view this is as all that dissimilar to Rhule with the NFL. Even if he fails, he'd rather have had the opportunity to prove himself at that level than not have taken that chance. And if he does fail, he'll always have another college job waiting for him at the end ... and likely a very good one.
Quinton
boognish_bear said:

I really wish Jakus had picked up some hc experience already. Because I think the guys upside is huge. Excellent offensive reputation. With the right defensive coaches around him I believe the upside would be titles.

While the other two might have higher floors, the ceiling on Jakus is very high and the guard pipeline would remain wide open
OkieBear12
Oh I'm by no means down on Drew, just don't think it's the end of the world like most think right now. Our program is actually desirable now. It seriously is taking a top 2 or 3 program all time to get us to this point. That is really saying something.
STxBear81
Now the king has spoken. John McLain to the rescue. Go eat some Ozempic, blabber boy
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

I'll be excited.

McCasland is an alum no? If he didn't accept the job that would tell me all that I already know to be true about the toxicity within our athletic department which is playing out in spades in results on the field of play
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

OkieBear12 said:

I don't picture BU bball without Drew on the sidelines as he just seemed like a lifer (which is a shame as he won't end his career at UK). However, I don't think we're instantly going back to the dark days. If we picked up McCasland, I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep over this other than being sad to see the face of the program, culture of JOY, etc. not be on our side anymore.
Our own boards are really down on Drew.

I think he's got at least 1 more Natty in him be it Baylor or Kentucky, and at Kentucky he's never going to get out bid for the portal players he wants.
I don't think anyone -- other than the fly-by clowns at the end of the Clemson game -- are down on Drew. I think all real Baylor fans would prefer that he stay.

But if he leaves, he's left us with some really good options from his tree and excellent foundation to build from. We'll be in good shape either way.

The guy took over Chernobyl and is leaving Baylor (if he does) as one of the top programs in the country. My optimism going forward has a lot to do with what he's built here.
IvanBear
I was referencing you saying he won't end his Career at UK, did you just typo that to mean BU?
Bears2Cane
boognish_bear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed
Robert Wilson said:

IowaBear said:

I think you're making too much of that. He may not have made his mind up yet. He was at lunch with a buddy. He tweeted it. I think it's a mistake to read too much into it. He is at Baylor until he's not.

He tweeted it at the precise moment the world thought he was on a plane to Lexington. He knew what he was doing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.