Drew a candidate for the UK job??

116,085 Views | 1003 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by wongobear
Johnny Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always felt that barring something out of left field, the only way Drew would voluntarily leave BU (other than to retire) would be to take a job at a traditional blue blood program which UK obviously is. Hope he'll stay, but this one has me worried. I'm sure Rhoades will do everything he can to keep him - especially given that he's already lost a Hall of Fame bball coach under his watch.
Big12Fan2024
bear2be2 said:

STxBear81 said:

I think it's Hurley for that job
Hurley would be dumb to leave. UConn has been the most successful program in America the past 15-plus years, winning three titles (could be four after tonight) with three different coaches since 2011.
Hurley talks openly about his mental health issues, prior battles with alcohol and depression, and openly admitted he almost took a leave of absence early on at UConn because of mental health issues. UConn's administration has stood behind him the entire time. Anyone who thinks he would leave that to step into the cesspool of pressure known as UK is basically just throwing random darts at the dartboard.

I think people randomly throw out big names because they assume everyone is only motivated by even more money. Hurley can stay at UConn, make plenty of money and still compete every year for a national championship just like you said. He has no reason to go.
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

bear2be2 said:

STxBear81 said:

I think it's Hurley for that job
Hurley would be dumb to leave. UConn has been the most successful program in America the past 15-plus years, winning three titles (could be four after tonight) with three different coaches since 2011.
Hurley talks openly about his mental health issues, prior battles with alcohol and depression, and openly admitted he almost took a leave of absence early on at UConn because of mental health issues. UConn's administration has stood behind him the entire time. Anyone who thinks he would leave that to step into the cesspool of pressure known as UK is basically just throwing random darts at the dartboard.

I think people randomly throw out big names because they assume everyone is only motivated by even more money. Hurley can stay at UConn, make plenty of money and still compete every year for a national championship just like you said. He has no reason to go.
Hurley is also a big-time culture guy. He routinely passes on elite talent that doesn't fit his culture. That's hard to do when donors are telling you who to recruit/they'll pay for.
BUCANDOIT82
Nate Oates has "backed out of the job." No word from Drew. 2+2=
IowaBear
I think it's a horrible fit at UK for Drew. But I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he took it if offered. But he's going to have to win big and fast. Rd of 32 exits ain't cutting it in Lexington
TomW
What would be the reasons Drew would leave Baylor? This is not your average Bear coach. He has Teaff status. If I am recalling correctly Teaff may have been offered by USC about 1986. He chose to stay, but he's a Texas native. Is a five hour drive to Valparaiso where his dad still works something he'd think about?
BBWCBear
Could Baylor be the ONLY P5 school to lose TWO Lifetime Career Coaches?
Johnny Bear
TomW said:

What would be the reasons Drew would leave Baylor? This is not your average Bear coach. He has Teaff status. If I am recalling correctly Teaff may have been offered by USC about 1986. He chose to stay, but he's a Texas native. Is a five hour drive to Valparaiso where his dad still works something he'd think about?

Teaff was definitely offered the USC job following the '86 season and apparently seriously considered it before deciding to stay. Prolly the closest BU came to losing him during his career with us.
Guitarbiscuit
BearPit12 said:

If Drew leaves, Mack should be fired immediately.
I personally would sell my Football season tickets I just paid for and renew my Pavillion seats and only sell to away fans

Mack should have probably been fired last year because of his unwillingness to get rid of Aranda.
possible12
How does Kentucky bourbon fit in this hire? Different culture of joy,, for sure.
PaperBear89
Foster Pavillion 7k capacity 75% full on weeknight games because of "Sing"practice. Rupp arena 20k+ capacity, 19.8k average attendance in 2023. If Drew leaves, we got what we deserve.
Guitarbiscuit
Yogi said:

So, why is Baylor a better Job than UK?

AT Baylor, Scott Drew owns the job; at Kentucky, the job owns You.

And say what you want about Mack Rhoads, but he clearly backs his coaches and offers unmatched autonomy over the program.

The only way Rhoades gets a pass in my eyes (and probably in the eyes of over half of sports minded Baylor alumni) is if he keeps Drew on board. Rhoades is already on shaky ground after choosing to retain Aranda.

I'm not really concerned about how well he backs the coaches, other than whether this fact can lead to him being able to retain Drew. This is one of those situations where if we lose him, it would not surprise me if we are no longer nationally relevant for many years.
Stefano DiMera
For those wondering about the Drew/Mitch Barnhardt connection...when we won the title in 2021..he was the chair of the tournament committee and was assigned to Baylor so he was in our hotel in the bubble for a month so they grew close.
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

I think it's a horrible fit at UK for Drew. But I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he took it if offered. But he's going to have to win big and fast. Rd of 32 exits ain't cutting it in Lexington
I agree, but I'm concerned that Drew feels unsupported from NIL between an incompetent athletic department handling of it and the administration of the school alienating many of our largest boosters (even if they primarily gave to football).

I feel like we missed out on some transfers last year because of money, and we likely missed out Trey Johnson because of money, it's got to weigh on him.

Daveisabovereproach
If Drew leaves, we will no longer be nationally relevant in anything. In a decade's time, Baylor will have gone from having great men's and women's basketball coaches, great football coach, and decent baseball coach to essentially staring irrelevancy in the face in every major sport. Good job Linda. And good job little Mackie
Daveisabovereproach
BBWCBear said:

Could Baylor be the ONLY P5 school to lose TWO Lifetime Career Coaches?

We are the only P5 school that has leadership that would let it happen. It would be a total Baylor move
Big12Fan2024
I'm guessing Mack's first two calls would go to Tang and McCasland. If we didn't have the money to buy them out or they both said no, would Bryce be the 3rd alternative?
bear2be2
PaperBear89 said:

Foster Pavillion 7k capacity 75% full on weeknight games because of "Sing"practice. Rupp arena 20k+ capacity, 19.8k average attendance in 2023. If Drew leaves, we got what we deserve.
If Drew leaves, it has nothing to do with Baylor fans. There's nothing Baylor or its fans could have ever done to match what Kentucky offers. We're a historical footnote. They're a top-three program in the game.

If he stays, it will be because Baylor is a special place that fits him well. If he leaves, those things will be no less true.
Stefano DiMera
If we lose Drew...Mack ain't got nothing to do with it..it's because we have a fan base of about 12 people..I could do a poll on this thread and I betcha everyone in here *****ing about Mack doesn't donate a dime to the program...or show up at an occasional road game..or tournament game..

I didn't post this when it happened but I went to the TCU game.in Ft Worth..I haven't missed a game.in the Metroplex in years..it was the smallest BU turnout I'd ever seen there.

Scott made a comment on post game show thanking the Baylor fans 'that chose to show up'. .it wasn't so much the words but the tone in which he said it..came across as snarky at most..frustrated at the least..

There's something intoxicating about whatever arena you step foot in.. especially neutral sites in the tournament where you have the advantage like Kentucky does.

Cause we travel like ass .
Fre3dombear
Guitarbiscuit said:

Yogi said:

So, why is Baylor a better Job than UK?

AT Baylor, Scott Drew owns the job; at Kentucky, the job owns You.

And say what you want about Mack Rhoads, but he clearly backs his coaches and offers unmatched autonomy over the program.

The only way Rhoades gets a pass in my eyes (and probably in the eyes of over half of sports minded Baylor alumni) is if he keeps Drew on board. Rhoades is already on shaky ground after choosing to retain Aranda.

I'm not really concerned about how well he backs the coaches, other than whether this fact can lead to him being able to retain Drew. This is one of those situations where if we lose him, it would not surprise me if we are no longer nationally relevant for many years.

Yeah we suck in most everything now so him
Backing the coaches leading those LindaMack suck ass woke person over player programs is…pointless
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

If we lose Drew...Mack ain't got nothing to do with it..it's because we have a fan base of about 12 people..I could do a poll on this thread and I betcha everyone in here *****ing about Mack doesn't donate a dime to the program...or show up at an occasional road game..or tournament game..

I didn't post this when it happened but I went to the TCU game.in Ft Worth..I haven't missed a game.in the Metroplex in years..it was the smallest BU turnout I'd ever seen there.

Scott made a comment on post game show thanking the Baylor fans 'that chose to show up'. .it wasn't so much the words but the tone in which he said it..came across as snarky at most..frustrated at the least..

There's something intoxicating about whatever arena you step foot in.. especially neutral sites in the tournament where you have the advantage like Kentucky does.

I ceased after they cried out to God and beared false witnesses on Briles

They didn't miss any my Lincolns
PaperBear89
No Quarterback said:

If Drew leaves, we will no longer be nationally relevant in anything. In a decade's time, Baylor will have gone from having great men's and women's basketball coaches, great football coach, and decent baseball coach to essentially staring irrelevancy in the face in every major sport. Good job Linda. And good job little Mackie

The part that baffles me is that in less than 2 years we went from that rare trifecta of President/AD/Coaches all being aligned to ... this. My speculation is all of this is result of that Good ol' Baylor Leadership being two steps behind the changing landscape of college sports. Oh well, tickets for sports will be affordable again.
boognish_bear
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Mack that you?
IowaBear
BU definitely travels terribly. Can say that from experience at KU, WV, KSU, ISU, OSU and several neutral site games. I saw maybe 10 BU fans at the Michigan St game.
bear2be2
PaperBear89 said:

No Quarterback said:

The part that baffles me is that in less than 2 years we went from that rare trifecta of President/AD/Coaches all being aligned to ... this. My speculation is all of this is result of that Good ol' Baylor Leadership being two steps behind the changing landscape of college sports. Oh well, tickets for sports will be affordable again.
Baylor's leadership could be 10 steps ahead and it wouldn't matter ... precisely because of the changing landscape in college sports.

The divide between haves and have nots has never been wider. And we're not on the right side of that chasm.
PartyBear
Nate Owens and Jay Wright have both reportedly said no.
Stefano DiMera
But what does that have to do with Drew..or his players?

Or for that matter.. what does that have to do with Aranda and his program?

There's a saying ' F around and Find out'. Keep having that attitude and we will be in the Mountain West/WCC Desert Conference sooner than later.
Mitch Henessey
This thread has turned into the same predictable circle-jerk of a handful of posters complaining about our AD, President, and BOR that every thread of any length on this site turns into.

Wake me up when there is actual news to discuss.
PaperBear89
IowaBear said:

BU definitely travels terribly. Can say that from experience at KU, WV, KSU, ISU, OSU and several neutral site games. I saw maybe 10 BU fans at the Michigan St game.

Pretty piss poor, given that the hometowns of UH, TCU. Texas have plenty of Baylor alums. Even recall a good number of Okies and Kansans when I was in school.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

We're a regional private school with the vast majority of our alums in Texas. We travel like other similar programs do -- particularly for out-of-state events. Unfortunately, that's one of those, "Is what it is" things. It's always been this way and always will. But we're not any different from TCU or SMU in that regard.
IowaBear
I haven't really thought anything if it until the Michigan St game. I know the KU games as well ISU are never gonna be well attended for BU alum as I doubt there's many BU slum in the MW. But I was truly shocked by how few BU fans were at the Auburn, Mich St games.
Guitarbiscuit
Stefano DiMera said:

Baylor fans travel badly, true. But it's still Mack's job to do what he can to keep Drew. If he fails to keep Drew, I'm going to blame Mack, just like I blamed him for retaining Aranda. Whether this is short sighted or not, I really don't care. I'm tired of losing coaches, and Mack needs to step up because he is our AD at this time. And it's his job to attempt to overcome our negatives (ie crappy fanbase).
IowaBear
I can safely say there's probably a good 1-2k more TCU fans than Bu fans when they both visit Ames for football. Not saying Ames is crawling with Frog fans when they visit Jack Trice but the difference is noticeable.
But again, I don't expect high attendance for the MW football games. Was just surprised how little attendance is on the road for a top 15 basketball program
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

I haven't really thought anything if it until the Michigan St game. I know the KU games as well ISU are never gonna be well attended for BU alum as I doubt there's many BU slum in the MW. But I was truly shocked by how few BU fans were at the Auburn, Mich St games.
Why would you be shocked by that? Those games were in South Dakota and Detroit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.