Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,678 Views | 998 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by wongobear
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Drew wins one more natty in the next 7-10 years at Baylor, he'll be a legend forever. If Drew FAILS to win a natty in the next 5 years at Kentucky, he's a failure, and everything he did at Baylor will be a footnote in his bio.
ALLBEAR
I have it on good authority that Drew will be a Wildcat
Jorkel
OsoCoreyell said:

If Drew wins one more natty in the next 7-10 years at Baylor, he'll be a legend forever. If Drew FAILS to win a natty in the next 5 years at Kentucky, he's a failure, and everything he did at Baylor will be a footnote in his bio.

If he doesn't win another natty at Baylor he will still be a legend easily. Still best men's coach Baylor has ever sniffed
IowaBear
Yeah…. Sure ya do
boognish_bear
ALLBEAR said:

I have it on good authority that Drew will be a Wildcat

You better go place that 3:1 bet quick then.
IvanBear
Jorkel said:

IvanBear said:

Bearwhiz said:

You guys just figuring out Rhoades is terrible at his job?
No, but this is terrible by even his standards. Drew's contract should be a fully guaranteed and his buyout should be the remaining contract value

You think Mack and Baylor have any real negotiating leverage with Drew? He is a hot commodity as a coach. The men's program was dog water before him.
Yes, fully guaranteed contracts above market value come with fully guaranteed buyouts, but no I don't think Mack is any good at his job.
BearTruth13
I could see him turning down Kentucky and staying.

But it is a top 4 job in college basketball in terms of history, prestige, money and recruiting. Would be tough to turn down.
BUbackerinET
IowaBear said:

The pressure to win at UK is enormous. The pressure to win in the post season at UK is even more enormous. Maybe he's ready for that challenge. But I promise his culture of Joy isn't gonna fly at UK. The only thing that matters there is winning.

For this and other reasons, I just don't think he's leaving. He just got a new contract with hefty additional money for assistants, his family loves Baylor, and finally, while he wants to be comfortable, money has never been a driving force for him. Could be wrong, don't think I am….
EvilTroyAndAbed
I don't think he'll be UK's first choice anyway. I think he would turn it down, but it might not be his to turn down just yet.
boognish_bear
fubar
His payroll at UK might be more than it is with the Bulls.

Just kidding.

Sorta.
boykin_spaniel
The picture should become clearer after Hurley and Painter conclude their game tonight.
ABC BEAR
boognish_bear said:

.I always wondered what happened to Eddie Munster.
GoodOleBaylorLine
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I don't think he'll be UK's first choice anyway. I think he would turn it down, but it might not be his to turn down just yet.
I bet Drew was Barnhart's first call. They know each other.

Probably off the record, so if Drew says not interested they both just act like it never happened.
DallasBear9902
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I bet Drew was Barnhart's first call. They know each other.

Probably off the record, so if Drew says not interested they both just act like it never happened.

FOIA ensures that nothing clumsy like a phone call happens. Cell phone records and all that jazz. Now, all the coaches and big time ADs are typically at the Final Four at the NABC which is always in the same city on the dates of the Final Four. If Mitch and and CSD happen to find themselves in the same hotel room or side conference room at the Phoenix Convention center, well, that's where an informal, off the record talk will happen.
Yogi
So, why is Baylor a better Job than UK?

AT Baylor, Scott Drew owns the job; at Kentucky, the job owns You.

And say what you want about Mack Rhoads, but he clearly backs his coaches and offers unmatched autonomy over the program.
Mitch Henessey
Porteroso said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built
What even is this take?

Would you similarly say that John Wooden was coasting after 1964? Was Mike Krzyzewski coasting after 1991? How does staying at a place you literally built up from nothing mean you're not interested in improving? What a wild post.

I'm sorry but Baylor is not like those you posted. To compare Wooden or Krzyzewski to Drew is wild, and comparing Baylor to UCLA or Duke is wild.

Drew will never again have the situation he had for the natty. It was once in a lifetime to have covid encourage upperclassmen to band together to stay and see what they were capable of. It will not happen again.

What I'm not saying is that Drew won't do his best at Baylor. Obviously he will. But Kentucky would simply be a more demanding job, and he would be forced to improve his coaching, make some changes, that are difficult to know how to improve or change, in an entrenched position.
You might want to took a look at how many national championships UCLA and Duke had won prior to Wooden and Krzyzewski, homie. UCLA and Duke are UCLA and Duke BECAUSE of those two coaches. They single-handedly turned those schools into bluebloods.

Furthermore, if you think Drew hasn't grown or changed anything over his tenure at Baylor, you might want to get some measurements for a pair of clown shoes.

He's home from strictly man defense to fully zone, back to fully M2M, and now mixes them, when needed. He's changed his recruiting and transfer strategy 3-4x over his tenure. He's changed from an athletic, "drive to score" offensive philosophy, to a perimeter-oriented, "drive-to-dish" system.

I wonder how much Baylor basketball you've watched over Drew's tenure if you think he isn't open to changes.
WacoFan
If Drew goes, McCasland comes home to BU.
Mitch Henessey
I love all these posters with supposed insight into the athletic program talking about how terrible of an AD Mack Rhoades is, yet when coaching opening after opening mentions Drew and he never leaves, Rhoades never gets any of the credit for being part of the reason Drew stays.

I guess part of the AD's role is to be the designated scapegoat, but it's just amusing.
Bearsalwayswin
Nope tang
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
PartyBear
WacoFan said:

If Drew goes, McCasland comes home to BU.

I think he damaged himself at more places than Baylor by continuing to start a guy convicted (as a juvenile) of sexual assault and then denying the adjudication had occurred as if it wouldn't be of record where the proceeding occurred.
Harrison Bergeron
Kentucky is a legit threat to snag him ... still do not think he'll leave ... too good of a fit for Baylor and it is his program. Does not seem like he would fit at Kentucky. Ask Billy Clyde.
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

4 straight coaches won a FB natty at Miami. How has that worked out for them since they canned Coker?
bear2be2
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Drew leaves, hire Grant McCasland immediately.

He'll continue what Drew built, and bring a defensive edge we haven't had in many of the last 21 seasons.
BluesBear
Drew to Kentucky. Confirmed source at UK that the offer was too good for him to turn down.

Thanks Coach for what you did at Baylor
Bearsalwayswin
lol
boognish_bear
Covers UK bball for The Athletic

BearlyNose
Have you been to the University of Kentucky? It's a campus two blocks from downtown Lexington. Rupp Arena is not even on campus, though close. The players practice in an arena on campus, but play their games in the downtwon arena. Lexington may be a pretty town, but it's also dying town…. their largest employer other than UK is Smuckers. Yes, there has been revitalization downtown, but it's still an OLD, OLD town with little of the growth than one sees in this part of the country. It's a state university, in a dying part of the country. The myth that was Kentucky, like the myth that is Louisville, is holding on to its past and hoping that no one notices the world, and most of college athletics, have passed them by.
bear2be2
BearlyNose said:

Have you been to the University of Kentucky? It's a campus two blocks from downtown Lexington. Rupp Arena is not even on campus, though close. The players practice in an arena on campus, but play their games in the downtwon arena. Lexington may be a pretty town, but it's also dying town…. their largest employer other than UK is Smuckers. Yes, there has been revitalization downtown, but it's still an OLD, OLD town with little of the growth than one sees in this part of the country. It's a state university, in a dying part of the country. The myth that was Kentucky, like the myth that is Louisville, is holding on to its past and hoping that no one notices the world, and most of college athletics, have passed them by.
I don't think Scott Drew cares about the city. He's spent the last 21 years in Waco.

If he leaves, it will be because he's ready for a new challenge at one of the bluest of the blue blood programs. Lexington's economy wouldn't impact his income or ability to draw talent to UK.
STxBear81
I think it's Hurley for that job
bear2be2
STxBear81 said:

I think it's Hurley for that job
Hurley would be dumb to leave. UConn has been the most successful program in America the past 15-plus years, winning three titles (could be four after tonight) with three different coaches since 2011.
STxBear81
I agree. I just think Kentucky makes him the number one choice and pays him an unbelievable amount. We may never know

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.