Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,775 Views | 998 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by wongobear
caseylatham
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His profile says it's a parody account…
Stefano DiMera
Jesus F Christ... enough with the Mack obsessions.

Any level headed person knows if he leaves it's because of the tradition and SUPPORT from Big Blue Nation.

As I told you last night..it's you and your ilk who don't support the program which will get him to leave .

And stop with the 'Mack bungled NIL ' youve posted over and over. The COACHES control the NIL and how it's disbursed ..not Mack.. that was Arandas mistake the last 2 years..he was trying to be equitable with everyone.

The fact that we are top 5-10 in NIL in basketball is a testimony to what Mack has done with the piss poor support.

And yes..I contribute to NIL every month..not a lot..but I do what I can..
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Jesus F Christ... enough with the Mack obsessions.

Any level headed person knows if he leaves it's because of the tradition and SUPPORT from Big Blue Nation.

As I told you last night..it's you and your ilk who don't support the program which will get him to leave .

And stop with the 'Mack bungled NIL ' youve posted over and over. The COACHES control the NIL and how it's disbursed ..not Mack.. that was Arandas mistake the last 2 years..he was trying to be equitable with everyone.

The fact that we are top 5-10 in NIL in basketball is a testimony to what Mack has done with the piss poor support.

And yes..I contribute to NIL every month..not a lot..but I do what I can..
Whatever you say Mack! You keep blaming the fans for you not doing your job! (This is true regardless what Drew does)
boognish_bear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
boognish_bear said:

Where's Cal now? UK, the What have you done for me lately program.
IvanBear
boognish_bear said:

This crowd is pathetic, we had better turnout for our Natty celebration...
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera
Well if Drew leaves he's basically blaming you 'fans' for not doing your job...you can spin your tin foil conspiracy as you wish..
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Well if Drew leaves he's basically blaming you 'fans' for not doing your job...you can spin your tin foil conspiracy as you wish..
Yep it's the fans fault for not donating our entire annual salary to cover 50% of the cost of a starting point guard in today's NIL game.

If only more people had bought more tickets to our sold out, brand new, smaller arena. That extra $500 season ticket would have such a large impact on keeping Drew here.

It's really the fans fault for the utter disrespect the Ferrell Center got in it's closing days with almost no recognition of the final games and ultimate final game outside of Drew giving a nice speech.

It's just the little guy's fault for not giving enough money, and for sure not the Mack and the Board's fault for pissing off the biggest BMDs and showing they'll squander the funds donated.

I sat in the stands in football last year, I saw our athletic department staff constantly have to go put out fires with the BMDs who were livid with the product on the field and the administrations handling of things.

Surely, the toxic culture in the athletic department just magically stops at Drew's corner of campus. I really hope it does, or I really hope he's figured out how to isolate himself from it and it doesn't drive him away. Because in his shoes I'm not sure what I'd do, and I'm only seeing this from the outside.
Jordan
This isn't an institution of football (or basketball). Baylor we are and Baylor we will always be. Banners fly forever, enjoy '21, we got lucky af to have CSD and CAB for the time we had them and accept the reality we don't have the stones to be a major player. It is what it is.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jordan said:

This isn't an institution of football (or basketball). Baylor we are and Baylor we will always be. Banners fly forever, enjoy '21, we got lucky af to have CSD and CAB for the time we had them and accept the reality we don't have the stones to be a major player. It is what it is.
Amen Brother!!! We needlessly crucified Briles, sent Kim Mulkey packing, and Coach Scott Drew to Kentucky is the finale. The cherry on top. We have become just another WOKE college institution biting our own ass to try to fit in to this crazy New World. We simply no longer lead. We stumble along begging for acceptance from people that hate us.

It is all about leadership. We have none.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
TenBears
Jordan said:

Sadly I'm afraid you're right, though if Drew leaves it's for a prestigious enough job that no one should really be blamed.
Branch155
On the one hand, Kentucky is one of the top jobs in college basketball. Like Bama, Michigan, Ohio State in football, UNC, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky all have history, name recognition and big budgets -- and incredible pressure to win. For that reason, I can understand why Drew would be interested.

On the other hand, I just don't get it. Drew and Baylor seem like the perfect fit. Drew doesn't seem (maybe that's the key word) like the kind of guy that would chase money, prestige and the bigger stage. But what do I know?
BluesBear
IvanBear said:

boognish_bear said:

This crowd is pathetic, we had better turnout for our Natty celebration...
Consider poor timing by the university - - they were also hosting a DEI conference at the same time.
BluesBear
boognish_bear said:

Brad - You don't know jack. Billy is off the table and Hurley isn't budging. It's Drew's job if he wants it - more source(s) are a lot closer to the discussion that you will ever be.

And the school will never let anyone know who actually was first choice, etc....
Yogi
Come on, Coach. You have to ask yourself, "If Kentucky is such a great job, why is Coach Cal going elsewhere rather than riding that job into retirement?"

That being said, it's probably time to get the search committee together so we can keep our team from entering the portal.
Robert Wilson
Yogi said:

Come on, Coach. You have to ask yourself, "If Kentucky is such a great job, why is Coach Cal going elsewhere rather than riding that job into retirement?"

That being said, it's probably time to get the search committee together so we can keep our team from entering the portal.
I think Baylor is a much better fit for Drew than Kentucky.

I also think, if he was the coach at Kentucky, he'd be getting a lot of heat for our '22, '23, and '24 tournament exits - '21 be damned. See, e.g., Coach Calipari.

That said, if he wants a new challenge / change of scenery I get it. Just don't think it's likely the best fit for him. But who knows.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Yogi said:

I've been trying to stay out of the "if he leaves" discussion since nothing has happened yet. But the team is gone if he's gone. They come for the coach, not the school. If he leaves, we're starting over.
Bleed Green
Jordan said:

We don't have the lineup to play with the really big boys. We have big HR hitters but don't have enough of the doubles and triples people to play in the upper echelon. We will never be a Goliath. And anyone who thinks David's shot wasn't an anomaly (or guided by God in my case) or would be a regular result is silly. Our NIL will not compete with almost any major state school. To blame Mack for that is coping. It is imperative that our coaches know how to maximize NIL. I give Aranda one more year to figure that out, because I know that he is incredibly respected for his X & O's knowledge in HS and college circles. I absolutely loved the CAB days but looking back can understand what they were. We should have been given the chance but we would not have beaten Alabama in any playoff. Lots of his kids got drafted and almost none of them stayed in the league more than a couple of years. He was a an awesome football magician, who probably would have left for a big time program if not for the scandal. Mulkey... i probably know more than I should but I loved her strictly because she won. Nothing else about her was desirable as a representation of Baylor and I cannot imagine what she would have been like with NIL in place. I don't have sources in the program anymore, but I can almost guarantee the basketball office is a better place to work without her there. She is the bad side of Bobby Knight without the witty humor.
IowaBear
He would absolutely be getting beat. bU went what 24-11 this year? 2nd rd exit. That's a decent season for BU and UK would classify that as an utter failure.
The pressure cooker is going to be enormous at UK
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

He would absolutely be getting beat. bU went what 24-11 this year? 2nd rd exit. That's a decent season for BU and UK would classify that as an utter failure.
Tubby Smith won five SEC Championships, five SEC Tournaments, went 263-83 over 10 years. Yes, his national championship was with Pitino's players, but he maintained UK as the king of the SEC. Went to a bunch of Sweet 16's and Elite Eights. But because he couldn't get back to a Final Four, there were constantly For Sale signs in his front yard placed by "fans." He beat the posse out of town.

An average record of 26-8 over 10 years, and they didn't want him. Why anyone would want to coach there is beyond me.
contrario
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

Tubby Smith won five SEC Championships, five SEC Tournaments, went 263-83 over 10 years. Yes, his national championship was with Pitino's players, but he maintained UK as the king of the SEC. Went to a bunch of Sweet 16's and Elite Eights. But because he couldn't get back to a Final Four, there were constantly For Sale signs in his front yard placed by "fans." He beat the posse out of town.

An average record of 26-8 over 10 years, and they didn't want him. Why anyone would want to coach there is beyond me.
$$$$
Robert Wilson
Not only is it going to be a pressure cooker, the "decorum" of Baylor fans will not exist there. A contingent of Kentucky fans are going to be downright nasty, and many more of them will not appreciate Drew's cheery demeanor, especially when they lose.
Robert Wilson
I get that, too, but ... Say they offer him $10-11M. I think we are paying him half that. It's a lifetime annuity at Baylor, in a reasonably pleasant environment. In Kentucky, pretty good chance he's out by year 5.
BluesBear
Announcement tomorrow....Drew to be new UK coach.

Mackenzie - you are on the clock for his replacement.....
IowaBear
Source
BUbackerinET
contrario said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IowaBear said:

$$$$

Yes, that is always the answer, BUT CSD has consistently denied that ever being a motivator for him.
boognish_bear
TenBears said:

Jordan said:

Sadly I'm afraid you're right, though if Drew leaves it's for a prestigious enough job that no one should really be blamed.

Yep....I understand questioning Mack on certain things...like hanging on to Aranda....but I won't understand him getting kicked in the sack if Drew leaves for Kentucky.

There is of course a hierarchy in college basketball just like football. Baylor's program has been on the rise in prestige for more than the last decade…but we are not now and probably never will be on the level of a Kentucky. That's just the reality for us and 98% of other programs in men's basketball.

Hell....Washington is near blue blood status in college football and just lost their coach to Bama.

In the end almost all programs can become a stepping stone to just the very small handful of super elite programs.
BluesBear
IowaBear said:

Source
Two people you don't know..
IowaBear
So you're throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. Glad we got that cleared up
GoodOleBaylorLine
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Yogi said:

I've been trying to stay out of the "if he leaves" discussion since nothing has happened yet. But the team is gone if he's gone. They come for the coach, not the school. If he leaves, we're starting over.

Correct. A player or two might stay, but most will leave in the portal. They still have until mid-May to announce.

Do we let the recruits out of their LOI? Probably.

So basically, we will have a team with no players pretty much immediately. This is where Arkansas is right now.

This is why we would need to hire a head coach from somewhere along with some structure of assistants. Maximizes our ability to carry over a class and some parts of a team. But expect a portal heavy team when the season starts.
Yogi
Another thing about Kentucky's "support".

It's support until it isn't.

Ask Tubby.
boognish_bear
UK writer for The Athletic indicating Drew might be the favorite

IvanBear
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Yogi said:

Correct. A player or two might stay, but most will leave in the portal. They still have until mid-May to announce.

Do we let the recruits out of their LOI? Probably.

So basically, we will have a team with no players pretty much immediately. This is where Arkansas is right now.

This is why we would need to hire a head coach from somewhere along with some structure of assistants. Maximizes our ability to carry over a class and some parts of a team. But expect a portal heavy team when the season starts.
Arkansas really just didn't have much eligibility left either though, we have a few guys on the roster who would probably stay. (Lohner)
boognish_bear
FWIW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.