House Republicans Elect Mike Johnson Speaker, Ending Weeks of Uncertainty

19,127 Views | 504 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by whiterock
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whiterock
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?
moreso than you, my friend.

Can you tell me a policy issue where you have sharp disagreement with her?

If she agrees with me on policy, does that make her an moderate?
so you agree that your aversion to her is about tactics rather than policy?

So you agree that my policies are as conservative as hers?
Have I not maintained consistently that moderate distaste for conservative activism is usually mostly about strategy and tactics rather than about the particulars of policy planks?

There is no way you can do nothing about MTG.

LOL. It'd be pretty easy. Just quit attacking her and start working with her. Give. Her. Something. That's what politics is, right....cutting deals with opponents?

Moderates say they will work with anyone, but that's a lie. They can't stand to have to work with conservatives.

WHAT!!!! After all your talk on RINOS, Neos, UniParty and how moderate compromise is the sign of weakness. Your advice is to give her what she wants?? How about Trump get a leash on his attack dog.
That's what moderates do, right?....compromise, right? Why not start with her...FIRST? Having her on board makes you stronger, not weaker.

She's not exactly an attack dog, but why would any Republican leader who had one leash it up? The GOP attack dog is the Democrats' problem. They better make it happy or there'll be pain. That's the way the Dems use the squad, and they get their agenda implemented by miles at a time. Why can't we do the same thing?
(this is what I'm talking about when I say "move the Overton Window.") Dems stand with the Squad, put big slabs of things they like into legislation, knowing the GOP moderates will support some of it in the name of bipartisanship. And typically, it does work out that way. GOP moderates crossing the aisle to vote for stuff they know the base will not like, then blaming the GOP base for being unreasonable when they do complain about it.
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Have I not maintained consistently that moderate distaste for conservative activism is usually mostly about strategy and tactics rather than about the particulars of policy planks?

LOL. It'd be pretty easy. Just quit attacking her and start working with her. Give. Her. Something. That's what politics is, right....cutting deals with opponents?

Moderates say they will work with anyone, but that's a lie. They can't stand to have to work with conservatives.

I posted a double negative in response to your unintelligible post. I assumed it was a joke

If you feel you have to do something about her, why not work WITH her rather than attacking her? The former makes your stronger; the latter makes you weaker.

The good cop, bad cop routine can be very effective......
Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

WHAT!!!! After all your talk on RINOS, Neos, UniParty and how moderate compromise is the sign of weakness. Your advice is to give her what she wants?? How about Trump get a leash on his attack dog.
That's what moderates do, right?....compromise, right? Why not start with her...FIRST? Having her on board makes you stronger, not weaker.

She's not exactly an attack dog, but why would any Republican leader who had one leash it up? The GOP attack dog is the Democrats' problem. They better make it happy or there'll be pain. That's the way the Dems use the squad, and they get their agenda implemented by miles at a time. Why can't we do the same thing?
(this is what I'm talking about when I say "move the Overton Window.") Dems stand with the Squad, put big slabs of things they like into legislation, knowing the GOP moderates will support some of it in the name of bipartisanship. And typically, it does work out that way. GOP moderates crossing the aisle to vote for stuff they know the base will not like, then blaming the GOP base for being unreasonable when they do complain about it.
GOP is just controlled opposition for the neoliberal uniparty. It serves to quell populist or libertarian dissent against their political monopoly,

Their biggest fear is they know Trump will do a good job in his second term and it will create a huge uprising against the establishment/uniparty.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

Those that attack their own party?
Osodecentx
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

Is MTG or her affinity groups likely to vote for Biden or RFK? Never
Are Independents? Maybe.
Are Haley/McLain voters slam dunk Trump voters? IDK

MTG will NEVER be happy. Why try to appease someone who will never be appeased?
FLBear5630
Osodecentx said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

Are Independents? Maybe.

Especially if it will cost you voters you need in cohorts you traditionally poll low?

This is what I am talking about, MTG should be negotiating behind closed doors, not going against the Nominee and calling for the Speaker removal during a General election! She is counterproductive. No matter if she represents the soul of the far right.
BearFan33
FLBear5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

Are Independents? Maybe.

Especially if it will cost you voters you need in cohorts you traditionally poll low?

This is what I am talking about, MTG should be negotiating behind closed doors, not going against the Nominee and calling for the Speaker removal during a General election! She is counterproductive. No matter if she represents the soul of the far right.
I agree. Grandstanding is counterproductive and possibly self serving. Alternatively it could also be out of desperation to shame the Speaker into doing what he promised. I don't know.
FLBear5630
BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

Are Independents? Maybe.

I agree. Grandstanding is counterproductive and possibly self serving. Alternatively it could also be out of desperation to shame the Speaker into doing what he promised. I don't know.
In my opinion, situational awareness.

We are in a General Election. The "base" MTG is playing for already are Trump through and through. Johnson, is acceptable to the Dems. He has shown to work with them. Trump has said, don't mover to remove. I think it is strategic to have Johnson work with the Dems and show the moderates and Reagan Democrats that Trump's going to work.

Would it work to Trump's advantage? Maybe. But, won't work is going all MTG and showing those voters there is no chance if Trump is elected. I see a lot of upside to Johnson and his record with Dems for Trump and no upside with Trump siding with MTG. Johnson shows he knows the political situation and made concessions to Dems. MTG only knows one speed, which is great in GOP Primary. But this is not that.

Thoughts. Besides I am an idiot I get enough of that...

whiterock
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

Why do BOTH parties have a leadership position with the word "whip" in it?

The question is....who's whipping whom?

VaeBear
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

MTG is the GOP Whip? I missed that. I didn't even think she was on a Committee, never mind Leadership. If she is the Party Whip, shouldn't she be supporting Johnson and Trump? Not going off on her own vendettas?

What makes more sense is that she, Gaetz or MAGA WOULDN'T accept such a role. Too many rules and actual responsibilities. Being the Whip would mean she and her cronies would have to act like adults. Too much part of the system. Nah. they strike me as the type that will throw Moltovs from the sidelines rather than actually fill a real job.
J.R.
Maggie is nothing but an effing loon, just like the mega crowd. Batchit!
Redbrickbear
J.R. said:

Maggie is nothing but an effing loon, just like the mega crowd. Batchit!

There are other (and even a lot bigger) loons in the Congress than MTG

But for some strange reason you really hate her

whiterock
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Don't be the jackass.

LOL. MTG is a carpenter?

Normal attack dogs yes

MTG is the GOP Whip? I missed that. I didn't even think she was on a Committee, never mind Leadership. If she is the Party Whip, shouldn't she be supporting Johnson and Trump? Not going off on her own vendettas?

What makes more sense is that she, Gaetz or MAGA WOULDN'T accept such a role. Too many rules and actual responsibilities. Being the Whip would mean she and her cronies would have to act like adults. Too much part of the system. Nah. they strike me as the type that will throw Moltovs from the sidelines rather than actually fill a real job.
The reason both parties have positions with the word "whip" in the title is precisely to attack members of their own party who stray too from the party line. The question is, what is the party line? To most conservatives, that is the agenda set out in the party platform....the things super-majorities of Republicans agree upon. Ergo, the whipping is supposed to occur in the center fringes, to enforce party discipline on super-majority platform issues, not to force the supermajority base to abandon platform principles. A party which is whipping its base (or not whipping its center), it can expect exactly the kinds of chaos we see going on now.

Moderates are not grandstanding like MTG, but they're being every bit as divisive, Their vacillation empowers them, too....it drives interest groups to their door to lobby, and lobbying means $$$$. New members of legislatures learn quickly that taking ambiguous positions entices the lobbies to spend to buy their votes. If they're always out front in support of stuff...well, their vote is already in the bag, so what's it worth? The publicly principled stands actually make it harder to leverage their vote into fundraising, unless they have enough seniority to hold a chairmanship. That's where the whip comes in....to counter-balance the lobby influence on the center-fringes of the parties, to make sure members feel the pressure of being primaried if they stray too far from the platform.

A smart whip will raise money for the MTG types, as she is helping the whip do his job to corral the center-fringe away from the lobby money. A whip who is trying to silence the MTG types......is working for the lobby money.

You should be grateful that someone is willing to do the messy work with the whip, rather than complaining that the whip work is messy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.