House Republicans Elect Mike Johnson Speaker, Ending Weeks of Uncertainty

19,080 Views | 504 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by whiterock
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FLBear5630
Realitybites said:

Johnson, McCarthy, Ryan, Boehner, Hastert...

The names of the players may change, but the lousy GOP game plan remains.

Gingrich was the only GOP speaker in my memory that broke the mold for a time and so much as got a couple of first downs.
But Gingrich was able to realize that this is not personal. He and Clinton actually were able to compromise. They disagreed on how to move the Nation forward, but they both agreed to move the Nation forward.

The current Administration and Congress are not at the same quality, they are not adults. They think this is an XBOX game.
Waco1947
The_barBEARian said:

Spending more on foreigners and deflating your savings will make you a slave.

Maybe you are content being a slave.

Some of us are not.

And Putin is not a bully. He is tough because he has to be. He trying to run a civilized, Christian country surrounded by violent, uncompromising Islamofacists requires brutality.

Weak men have allowed evil men to take over America and Europe and it's hard times ahead for the future generations.

The Native Americans called and said they built this country way before you arrived
Waco1947
boognish_bear
Osodecentx
The rule for considering the bill historically a straight party-line vote passed with more Democratic than Republican support, but it also won a majority of G.O.P. votes, making it clear that despite a pocket of deep resistance from the far right, there is broad bipartisan backing for the $95.3 billion package.
J.R.
The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

I applaud the speaker for doing the right thing and risking his gig. About time the R's have someone with balls and principles. Screw the hard right crazies, like some on this board!

Hard right crazies = People with IQs above room temperature.

This is precisely why we need a national divorce.

Guys like you are dragging down the rest of us into the 3rd world, totalitarian abyss when we are just trying to preserve the quality of life and freedoms we got to experience for our children and grandchildren.

Quality of life is what u make of it. Quit withe woe is me crap. Nut up

The_barBEARian
Osodecentx said:

The rule for considering the bill historically a straight party-line vote passed with more Democratic than Republican support, but it also won a majority of G.O.P. votes, making it clear that despite a pocket of deep resistance from the far right, there is broad bipartisan backing for the $95.3 billion package.

Gee might as well not even vote... you get ****ed either way
boognish_bear
Mitch Blood Green
boognish_bear said:

This is a good outcome. Can't let 8-10 people derail the country.
FLBear5630
Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

Tells me Mr Johnson cut a deal with the Dems. Far Right has just lost its juice...
The_barBEARian
FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

Tells me Mr Johnson cut a deal with the Dems. Far Right has just lost its juice...

American people just lost its juice.

Please let your children and grandchildren know you supported all this so they know where to direct their hate in the near future.
FLBear5630
The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

Please let your children and grandchildren know you supported all this so they know where to direct their hate in the near future.
A little melodramatic?

Far right go too far, simple as that. When you are following Greene, you really need to check your lane.
The_barBEARian
FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

Far right go too far, simple as that. When you are following Greene, you really need to check your lane.

Not dramatic at all Florida.

You got to live a better life than you kids and if you live long enough you'll be appalled at the living standards of your grandkids.
KaiBear
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Doc Holliday said:

KaiBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Well, I guess Johnson is a Neo-Con, UniParty, Liberal...

This line sounds familiar, McCarthy, Ryan, Boehner and now Johnson. All Neo-Cons? All UniParty Dems?

He's completely flipped on his positions.

He was once heavily against FISA abuses, now he's pro FISA. That means something transpired and made him turn his back on his constituents.
It couldn't possibly that he understands the realities of what he can get done and what he has to give.

There are realities to a political society that the far right and far left fail to realize. You have give, to get.

Unless you think after 2024 you will have a majority in the House, Senate and Presidency that will be able to force a platform through no matter what the Dems think. If that is the position, you stalemate the system and wait...

Right now, the Wall St Journal is predicting

Biden
GOP Senate 57-50
GOP House 243-233

More deadlock
I think Trump can win, but I don't think he will be POTUS. They will go to any measure necessary to prevent him from taking office. GOP will also purposefully push anti abortion so they don't win.

I believe the future is a super majority for democrats. We're absolutely going off the deep end. We're going to get what we deserve: it's going to get VERY expensive to live here and society will increasingly have to walk on woke eggshells. I hope you're ready for it.
I am not as pessimistic, if Trump loses he will lose on his merits. Not because some "black ops" steal.

Just like Biden, if he loses it is on his merits. No need to go over the top on either, there are enough negatives for both to make this a crap shoot. The one thing I am confident of is that the National election will not be fixed or stolen. Neither side is competent enough to pull that off.
I think he wins, but a Jeffries House won't certify the Election citing Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

Not a chance.

Jeffries is too smart to pull such a reckless stunt.
Media would love it and do their best to convince everyone that its "democracy at work".

Anyone who thinks its tyrannical would be labeled extremists and persecuted like J6'ers if they actually did anything in retaliation.

Its not reckless at all for democrats to pull that off. We're not dealing with an equal playing field here and there are trillions of dollars at stake if Trump wins that lots of entities would miss out on: their financial masters would demand it.

Trump could blindside them by saying he would cut off foreign aid the Israel.

If he did that, he could turn their own hellhounds against them.

No way Trump can win. I've already seen the final state by state results
Trump is not going to win.

He never has had the slightest chance .

Dems have been playing utterly ruthless power politics while the Republicans have been gutlessly puttering around.

As a result we will have an additional 5-15 million illegals within the next 4 years and our cities will have to reduce essential services to find the funds to provide for them.

Supreme Court will alter its judicial makeup into a more 'progressive' one. Resulting in property rights being 'reformed ' the 2nd amendment to be curtailed, freedom of speech to be 'elevated' and freedom of Religion to be assaulted.

Watch for a significant percentage of upper class Americans to bail out.

Anyone with eye to world history will realize it's the smart move .
I know how the election is going to go down. Power outages.

Imagine there are "power outages" on Election Day which hammers Republican voters three times worse as they vote in person. What can the courts do? Nothing.

Quote:

Director Wray:

"Chinese government-linked hackers have burrowed into U.S. critical infrastructure and are waiting for just the right moment to deal a devastating blow.

An ongoing Chinese hacking campaign, known as Volt Typhoon, has successfully accessed numerous American companies in telecommunications, energy, and water, with 23 pipeline operators being targeted.

They are developing the ability to physically wreak havoc on our critical infrastructure at a time of its choosing.

Its plan is to land low blows against civilian infrastructure to try to induce panic and harm to American citizens and communities."

Source: Reuters

Certainly possible but not needed.

The Democrats just juice the vote in party controlled cities like Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Milwaukee.

These in turn swing wholes States like Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin and their electoral votes.

Add in Detroit, Chicago and New York City .

And the Republicans KNOW this is exactly how it's going to go down ; yet they are doing nothing.

They would rather keep their current cushy offices for a few more years than do what's necessary to win in November.
KaiBear
The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

You got to live a better life than you kids and if you live long enough you'll be appalled at the living standards of your grandkids.
100% correct as this ongoing decline has happened previously in many places throughout the world.

However most people are just too short sighted and inexperienced to connect the dots .

Son # 2 is moving overseas in a few weeks. He has the cash, health, vision and freedom of action to act.

Most people don't.

FLBear5630
The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

A bit presumptuous. Life is what you make it. There will always be winners and losers in any decision that is made. How they work with those constraints and opportunities will have a bigger impact on my Grandkids standard of living than this Bill. You ain't changing and growing, you are dying. Change is inevitable.
The_barBEARian
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

100% correct as this ongoing decline has happened previously in many places throughout the world.

However most people are just too short sighted and inexperienced to connect the dots .

Son # 2 is moving overseas in a few weeks. He has the cash, health, vision and freedom of action to act.

Most people don't.

That's beautiful Kai!

Congratulations!

And your son is lucky to have a father with foresight.
FLBear5630
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

Most people don't.

If I had you as my Dad I would go overseas too.... : )

Couldn't resist.
The_barBEARian
FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

A bit presumptuous. Life is what you make it. There will always be winners and losers in any decision that is made. How they work with those constraints and opportunities will have a bigger impact on my Grandkids standard of living than this Bill. You ain't changing and growing, you are dying. Change is inevitable.

That's true Florida... but there will be less opportunity and fewer winners.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Realitybites said:

Gingrich was the only GOP speaker in my memory that broke the mold for a time and so much as got a couple of first downs.
But Gingrich was able to realize that this is not personal. He and Clinton actually were able to compromise. They disagreed on how to move the Nation forward, but they both agreed to move the Nation forward.

The current Administration and Congress are not at the same quality, they are not adults. They think this is an XBOX game.

Well the country has radically changed since that time....religiously, demographically, ideologically since 1994

Someone can probably pull up the bubble map showing how the parties have moved to their extremes over the past 30 years (Democrats moving Left more than Republicans moving Right)

Certainly you know that the USA is in the middle of a massive polarization era....one that will probably go on for decades.

Reagan and Tip O'Neill could work together because they were similar men and their party voters were not that much different either in 1980
Redbrickbear
Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

I can assure you another massive Billion dollar aid bill for some foreign nation would NOT "derail the country"

The USA would be just fine without it.

There was a time when both parties would have looked at you as an insane person if you said we should send billions off to some 2nd or 3rd world nation.

In this case you are just celebrating DC uniparty foreign policy consensus....a consensus we have been living under for 25 years at the least....some of us are just sick of it

Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

The Native Americans called and said they built this country way before you arrived

They did?

There was a United States before 1776?

You learn something new on this site every day I swear
J.R.
J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

I applaud the speaker for doing the right thing and risking his gig. About time the R's have someone with balls and principles. Screw the hard right crazies, like some on this board!

Guys like you are dragging down the rest of us into the 3rd world, totalitarian abyss when we are just trying to preserve the quality of life and freedoms we got to experience for our children and grandchildren.

Quality of life is what you make of it, quit the woe is me and Do something
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

Johnson does believe in science because he is a young earth believer

Got any proof he is a "young earther"?

Link?
The_barBEARian
J.R. said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

Quality of life is what you make of it, quit the woe is me and Do something

I hope you hold that same level of disdain for people who whine about historical events that happened 80 years ago, 150 years ago, or 250 years ago.

I think whining about the future is more productive than whining about the past.
FLBear5630
The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

Yeah, but the answer is not MAGA. Just look at Johnson. Johnson was Conservative before Greene knew what Politics is. Johnson understands DC and the position he is in to effect change. Johnson is getting the best deal he can under the present circumstances. That is a good Representative of the People.

Until he has a Majority that can push change, you still have to work to keep the place functioning. Just shutting down is not an answer.
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Realitybites said:

Well the country has radically changed since that time....religiously, demographically, ideologically since 1994

Someone can probably pull up the bubble map showing how the parties have moved to their extremes over the past 30 years (Democrats moving Left more than Republicans moving Right)

Certainly you know that the USA is in the middle of a massive polarization era....one that will probably go on for decades.

Reagan and Tip O'Neill could work together because they were similar men and their party voters were not that much different either in 1980
True to a point. Believe it or not, we all still have common ground.

Would like to see more work there, if nothing else. Even Biden and Trump have common ground if they would let their egos down for a minute. Newt and Clinton were able to do that.

This is not about positions, it is about communication. There is not one person on this Board that I have NOTHING in common with. I have never met one person that you can't find anything to agree on.
Bestweekeverr
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

Most people don't.

Which country/region if you don't mind me asking?
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

Yeah, but the answer is not MAGA. Just look at Johnson. Johnson was Conservative before Greene knew what Politics is. Johnson understands DC and the position he is in to effect change. Johnson is getting the best deal he can under the present circumstances. That is a good Representative of the People.

The whole point is that he is not effecting any change.

Another $90+ billion dollar spending/looting bill for more war abroad is what conservative Reps. were sent to stop.

He is now working with Democrats to get the bill passed because it represents DC consensus on interventionism and foreign policy.

So business as usual.

GOP leaders talk about change....and deliver business as usual
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

Another $90+ billion dollar spending/looting bill for more war abroad is what conservative Reps. were sent to stop.

He is now working with Democrats to get the bill passed because it represents DC consensus on interventionism and foreign policy.

So business as usual.

what else is he getting with that bill?

Looks like it is 5 bills. Ukraine is in the form of a loan, which is better than before, and the 5th is Border, which everyone wants too.

Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Realitybites said:

True to a point. Believe it or not, we all still have common ground.

Would like to see more work there, if nothing else. Even Biden and Trump have common ground if they would let their egos down for a minute. Newt and Clinton were able to do that.

As Americans become radically changed on cultural issues, ideological issues, and ethnic issues it will be harder to come to consensus.

America of 1994 feels like a different country completely...one totally gone.

(for instance the last Democratic Presential candidates had a LGBTQ town hall talking about how they were going to strip Churches of their tax status for not being on board with LGTBQ....can't even imagine that taking place in 2010 much less 1994)

And again Newt and Clinton were not that different either as people.

[He also over time disabused himself of the idea that Clinton was a "closet liberal.'' By 1997, he appreciated that Clinton "was a much more complicated person.... Clinton really is a southern Baptist populist,'' he reflected years later.]

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2008/05/29/the-pact-between-bill-clinton-and-newt-gingrich

Newt was basically an army brat from a Lutheran military family originally from Pennsylvania who ended up in Georgia.

Clinton was a Baptist from Arkansas.

They had a similar-ish background.

Ilhan Omar and Marjorie Greene they were not
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

A little melodramatic?

So business as usual.

what else is he getting with that bill?

Looks like it is 5 bills. Ukraine is in the form of a loan, which is better than before, and the 5th is Border, which everyone wants too.

It is a watered down version of the bill already floated and the Senate will simply not even pick that one up.

Classic DC slight of hand...."you have to pass all these bills to get border security"...when of course the Democratic Senate will not even take up the border bill at all.

[The fifth bill is a watered-down version of HR 2, the border security bill passed out of the House earlier this Congress.
At first glance, it might appear that Johnson is attaching real border security to Ukraine aid. While Johnson wishes the GOP base to believe that, the facts are less compelling.
"The fifth bill, that's the pretend, weakened, border Security, so to speak, but it's not going to have any leverage attached to it," Good said. "The Senate will just ignore that fifth bill of course and not take it up. It's showmanship, it's theater. I think this further diminishes the speaker before the Republicans across the country."]

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/johnson-ties-his-own-noose-with-foreign-aid-package/

Mitch Blood Green
FLBear5630 said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

boognish_bear said:

I don't know that he did. My bet is he met the threats from the chaos caucus head on.
boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
[Johnson's betrayal of his own conference is historic. As Rachel Bovard of the Conservative Partnership Institute told TAC yesterday, "It's one thing for a rule to pass with Democrat support on the House floor. But it's a different thing to force it out of Rules with minority votes. I don't think that's ever happened."

"This is worse than John Boehner. If you consider John Boehner the peak level of violence against conservatives," she added.

"If he forces a rule out of the Rules Committee on the backs of Democrats to fund a war that his conference doesn't want to fund," Bovard said, then "nobody's in charge at that point. You don't have a majority party at that point."]

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/democrats-save-johnsons-military-spending-but-will-they-save-his-speakership/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.