Campus Protests

44,764 Views | 1107 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by nein51
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Looks like "Free Speech Week" (as they advertised it) was 6 months ago.

The little mobbies should have planned better.

Having a "free speech week" is almost as funny as when these progressive schools create some like 10x10 box somewhere on campus and label it a "free speech zone"

The knots they tie themselves in…..
BusyTarpDuster2017
90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

Go back to accusing people of lying since you don't want to talk about thread topic anymore.
I've asked you repeatedly - did I have sufficient cause for it, or no?

The fact that you won't answer says it all, and that your argument against me has failed. Go away.
Yes, yes, you are right (because you say so). Even though you don't cite any laws and say other people are lying when they do.

Toodles.
Yes, yes, I'm SO wrong, that you are completely unable to argue why.

"Toodles" is exactly what you said when you argued with me for 2 pages about absolute vs. relative truth and later realized you had been proven wrong.
Yeah you quoted logic in that thread about as well as you quoted law in this one. But I remember you won! (Because you said so).
Right, that's why you couldn't answer the question there, just as you are completely unable to answer them here. If you disagree, then prove me wrong - answer it: if a certain hypothetical scenario contains "x", then is it absolute truth that the hypothetical scenario contains "x"?

You won't, and we all will know why.
I won't because I'm not going to derail this thread. However, if you would like I will create another thread later where I will respond to that question.
Likely excuse. In lesser words than what you just posted, you could have easily answered it. I don't need to create a whole other thread for it, the question is right before you now. You balked. I've proven my point.
Oh well. I offered.
It's a ONE WORD answer. So it required even less words than what you just posted right here. Nice try.

What exactly was the question?
He is saying I'm right only because I "say so". So I'm reminding him of a past debate where I asked him: "if a hypothetical scenario contains "x", then is it absolute truth that the hypothetical scenario contains 'x'?"

The only correct answer is "yes". The above is a tautology. Logically, tautologies are always true no matter what, therefore they are absolute truths. His answer, however, was that it is a relative truth. I'm demonstrating how he was clearly wrong, and I was clearly right, and it was based on logic and reason, NOT simply "because I said so".
Just for you and to help keep this thread from getting derailed because that's rude to everyone else who wants to stay on topic:

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/139135/replies/3728867
Saying "yes" to a really simple question would not have derailed the topic at all.
ShooterTX
boognish_bear said:

May they shoot straight, and never run out of ammo!
ShooterTX
90sBear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

Go back to accusing people of lying since you don't want to talk about thread topic anymore.
I've asked you repeatedly - did I have sufficient cause for it, or no?

The fact that you won't answer says it all, and that your argument against me has failed. Go away.
Yes, yes, you are right (because you say so). Even though you don't cite any laws and say other people are lying when they do.

Toodles.
Yes, yes, I'm SO wrong, that you are completely unable to argue why.

"Toodles" is exactly what you said when you argued with me for 2 pages about absolute vs. relative truth and later realized you had been proven wrong.
Yeah you quoted logic in that thread about as well as you quoted law in this one. But I remember you won! (Because you said so).
Right, that's why you couldn't answer the question there, just as you are completely unable to answer them here. If you disagree, then prove me wrong - answer it: if a certain hypothetical scenario contains "x", then is it absolute truth that the hypothetical scenario contains "x"?

You won't, and we all will know why.
I won't because I'm not going to derail this thread. However, if you would like I will create another thread later where I will respond to that question.
Likely excuse. In lesser words than what you just posted, you could have easily answered it. I don't need to create a whole other thread for it, the question is right before you now. You balked. I've proven my point.
Oh well. I offered.
It's a ONE WORD answer. So it required even less words than what you just posted right here. Nice try.

What exactly was the question?
He is saying I'm right only because I "say so". So I'm reminding him of a past debate where I asked him: "if a hypothetical scenario contains "x", then is it absolute truth that the hypothetical scenario contains 'x'?"

The only correct answer is "yes". The above is a tautology. Logically, tautologies are always true no matter what, therefore they are absolute truths. His answer, however, was that it is a relative truth. I'm demonstrating how he was clearly wrong, and I was clearly right, and it was based on logic and reason, NOT simply "because I said so".
Just for you and to help keep this thread from getting derailed because that's rude to everyone else who wants to stay on topic:

Saying "yes" to a really simple question would not have derailed the topic at all.

muddybrazos

lol, the truth hurts
ShooterTX
This is all very interesting.
Many here keep talking about free speech, and yet you refuse to acknowledge that most universities abandon free speech decades ago.

If a group wanted to hold a KKK protest on campus, it would be denied. Any students who illegally started or participated in such a racist event would be arrested and most likely expelled from campus.

The reality is that universities have been shutting down certain types of speech for many years now. Just look at what happens when Ben Shapiro, Ann Coulter, or others on the right are invited to speak at Berkley.

So if a university can ban KKK rallies because the KKK is a hateful, racist, terrorist group; why can't they do the same for the hateful, racist, terrorist Hamas/Gaza groups?

This isn't some watershed moment. If anything, it is remarkably consistent.
ShooterTX
Redbrickbear
ShooterTX said:

Many here keep talking about free speech, and yet you refuse to acknowledge that most universities abandon free speech decades ago...

If a group wanted to hold a KKK protest on campus, it would be denied...

The reality is that universities have been shutting down certain types of speech for many years now. Just look at what happens when Ben Shapiro, Ann Coulter, or others on the right are invited to speak at Berkley.

Bingo.

All the talk of "free speech" at Public universities is of course disingenuous.

As you said they have been shutting down certain speech by certain groups (for good or bad) for decades.

muddybrazos
ShooterTX said:

Many here keep talking about free speech, and yet you refuse to acknowledge that most universities abandon free speech decades ago.

If a group wanted to hold a KKK protest on campus, it would be denied. Any students who illegally started or participated in such a racist event would be arrested and most likely expelled from campus.

So if a university can ban KKK rallies because the KKK is a hateful, racist, terrorist group; why can't they do the same for the hateful, racist, terrorist Hamas/Gaza groups?

I dont think the universities have been shutting down Shapiro and Coulter. Its antifa and violent commie students that riot and shut them down. The schools cant afford the security it takes to have those speakers come.
Frank Galvin
ShooterTX said:

There is a difference between not hosting a speaker and putting a speaker in jail based on the content of their speech. Not speaking for anyone else but my point has been remarkably simple.

We should not be arresting people for the content of what they say. Trespass, obstruction, disorderly, assault, etc. I have no problem with.

Even more remarkable is the number of alleged conservatives who disagree and think the content of the speech (ie anti-semitism) alone justifies criminal penalty.
Frank Galvin
Harrison Bergeron said:

Frank Galvin said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

The "From the river to the sea" chant is about wiping Israel off the map.
I agree. That is not the same as the people that live there. Hamas contends that Palestine should self-rule the territory. It does not cotned that all Jews should die.
My recollection is that the countries surrounding Israel aren't too fond of them, either...
Its irrelevant because it is not going to happen.
But will they try again? Or just keep using Hamas to do their dirty work through terrorism and propaganda wars?
My personal opinion is that Hamas chose now to start the war in part because it did not like the thawing of Israel's relatinonship witht he rest of the Arab world. It needed to provoke Israel to kill more Arabs.
Have to find a way to BLAME TRUMP!

Huh?

Why would that be Trump's fault? I give him props for his Mideast work while being uncomfortable with his celebrating the Saudi's given their brutality on human rights issues.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek ... realize completely lost online.

No worries. And you got it in writing from me: Orange man not always all bad.
Forest Bueller_bf
ShooterTX said:

boognish_bear said:

May they shoot straight, and never run out of ammo!
I won't go this far. Most of these kids don't even know what they are protesting about.

Also Ohio, has a terrible track record for shooting and killing College students.

When you see them chanting stupid lines they are fed on their Iphones, they are just being
parrots usually and want to feel like they are part of something bigger than themselves.

Hell most of them couldn't tell you the capital of Idaho without pulling out google, much less
know they are generally supporting Hamas and a political ideology that would wipe most of them
out if given a chance.

I think you are joking, but kids are stupid/ignorant, and college age kids seem to be less mature and more
easily brainwashed than 50 years ago.
Harrison Bergeron
Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

There is a difference between not hosting a speaker and putting a speaker in jail based on the content of their speech. Not speaking for anyone else but my point has been remarkably simple.

We should not be arresting people for the content of what they say. Trespass, obstruction, disorderly, assault, etc. I have no problem with.

Even more remarkable is the number of alleged conservatives who disagree and think the content of the speech (ie anti-semitism) alone justifies criminal penalty.
100%. It is dangerous to eve discuss. Anyone should be allow to say, sign or make a sign that says "Kill the Jews." The problem is when they start attacking the Jews or preventing others to freely move about on campus, in public, on roads, etc., as well as "occupying" public spaces. I am 100% for free speech but I do not support the SCOTUS precedent that other physical activities is "speech." Speech is words, verbal or written. It is not physical activity.
nein51
muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

I dont think the universities have been shutting down Shapiro and Coulter. Its antifa and violent commie students that riot and shut them down. The schools cant afford the security it takes to have those speakers come.

Distinction without difference.

And they could definitely afford the security if they wanted to. They don't. And it's easier to just "aw, bummer".
muddybrazos
nein51 said:

muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

And they could definitely afford the security if they wanted to. They don't. And it's easier to just "aw, bummer".
True, but is it worth it for a school to have **** set on fire and a full scale battle on the campus? Remember back in the early Trump days when there were literal battles on Berkeley campus? Based Stick man was out there fighting commies with make shift swords. All of those proud boys that were there battling antifa are all in prison but antifa is still there doing their thing.

I hope the pendulum swings back the other way and we can start locking up these communist agitators. That will probably never happen in Cali, though.
ShooterTX
muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

So how much money did UT spend to have the DPS arrest the protestors?

This is a BS argument. The universities are not required to pay the cops for enforcing the law. It is just a convenient excuse to ban certain groups. Antifa always acts in violation of the law... always. So any university could easily dail 911 as soon as they see the thugs arriving. They just don't want to arrest Antifa, as many of them are professors, family members and students.

Enforce the laws. Arrest them and charge them with terrorist and hate crime charges. Have them serve REAL jail time... and this crap will dissolve very quickly. We know that many of them are traveling all over the nation, from violent protest to violent protest. So lock them up for years, and see how quickly Antifa dissolves.

ShooterTX
Wangchung
According to the Biden administration white supremacists are the number one threat to America and they HATE democrats, therefor, out of safety concerns for the nation, we shouldn't allow democrats to hold office or campaign. You know, for safety...
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
ShooterTX
Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

Their speech is a call to violence.

"Death to America" is both a call to violence and a terroristic threat.

If 10 people surrounded you on the street and chanted "Death to Frank Galvin"... you KNOW that it would be a call to violence and a terroristic threat... or would you need to wait until they violently attacked you?

"From the river to the sea" is another call to violence and a terroristic threat. We have already seen examples of these groups attacking Jewish people, which just proves that their speech is a call to violence against Jewish Americans.

If none of this is accurate, then why are all of these universities telling Jewish students that they cannot protect them? Why are these schools shutting down classes and graduation ceremonies? Obviously, these Hamas lovers are a terroristic & violent threat to normal people... otherwise there would be no need to shut down the campus.

Again, this is no different than banning the KKK from a campus... except they are calling for violence against ALL Americans, not just Black Americans.
ShooterTX
muddybrazos
ShooterTX said:

muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

This is a BS argument. The universities are not required to pay the cops for enforcing the law. It is just a convenient excuse to ban certain groups. Antifa always acts in violation of the law... always. So any university could easily dail 911 as soon as they see the thugs arriving. They just don't want to arrest Antifa, as many of them are professors, family members and students.

Enforce the laws. Arrest them and charge them with terrorist and hate crime charges. Have them serve REAL jail time... and this crap will dissolve very quickly. We know that many of them are traveling all over the nation, from violent protest to violent protest. So lock them up for years, and see how quickly Antifa dissolves.

Well, you and I are talking about 2 different things here. I'm talking about conservative speakers not being able to come to a campus bc of antifa rioters. I dont know who had to pick up the tab for the cops and troopers to run out protesters. I dont know if these protesters actually broke the laws so I will just defer to Frank Galvin on that.
Frank Galvin
ShooterTX said:

Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

If 10 people surrounded you on the street and chanted "Death to Frank Galvin"... you KNOW that it would be a call to violence and a terroristic threat... or would you need to wait until they violently attacked you?

"From the river to the sea" is another call to violence and a terroristic threat. We have already seen examples of these groups attacking Jewish people, which just proves that their speech is a call to violence against Jewish Americans.

If none of this is accurate, then why are all of these universities telling Jewish students that they cannot protect them? Why are these schools shutting down classes and graduation ceremonies? Obviously, these Hamas lovers are a terroristic & violent threat to normal people... otherwise there would be no need to shut down the campus.

Again, this is no different than banning the KKK from a campus... except they are calling for violence against ALL Americans, not just Black Americans.
Yes, universities ban the KKK from campus and they should. No, KKK's anti-semtic speech is not criminal. Instead, it is protected by the First Amendment.

So if there is no difference no one should be arresting the protestors for what they say. Kicking them out for. other activities is something else.
nein51
muddybrazos said:

nein51 said:

muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

True, but is it worth it for a school to have **** set on fire and a full scale battle on the campus? Remember back in the early Trump days when there were literal battles on Berkeley campus? Based Stick man was out there fighting commies with make shift swords. All of those proud boys that were there battling antifa are all in prison but antifa is still there doing their thing.

I hope the pendulum swings back the other way and we can start locking up these communist agitators. That will probably never happen in Cali, though.

Guess it depends on the cost of allowing people to go through college without ever having their opinions challenged.

Personally, my feeling is that the cost of allowing that has already become too high. As it turns out most college students are ignorant morons…because youth is wasted on the young and there are things only time can teach.

I don't love Antifa but they should be allowed to host a speech in an environment where people can listen and determine for themselves. I do quite like Ben Shapiro (and I largely agree with most of his stances) and he should have that same ability.

We should not ever get to the point where either side is welcomed regardless of how heinous their message is while the opposition is not.

College is about learning and you cannot do that when you're only being given one side of any piece of information.

I used to know a lady who told me "you don't ever have to fear someone who is loud - you know exactly what they think, but you better be afraid of the person who rarely speaks because you never know what is on that persons mind and how close they are to the edge".
Forest Bueller_bf
Wangchung said:

According to the Biden administration white supremacists are the number one threat to America and they HATE democrats, therefor, out of safety concerns for the nation, we shouldn't allow democrats to hold office or campaign. You know, for safety...
Yea, this has to be the dumbest ideology this administration has taken, and they have taken a bunch of them.
Redbrickbear
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Wangchung said:

Yea, this has to be the dumbest ideology this administration has taken, and they have taken a bunch of them.
To be fair the Obama administration was pushing this stuff as well.

Liberals in DC have long been uncomfortable with taking on Islamic terrorism and want to shift the discussion (and the security apparatus) back to the USA to take on their domestic enemies.

Domestic conservative enemies who can all be labeled as "white supremacists", or "domestic extremists" or whatnot
BusyTarpDuster2017
Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

We can, have, and should arrest people for what they say. I don't know why this is even a debate or controversial.
Jack Bauer
BusyTarpDuster2017
ShooterTX said:

Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

I don't understand why people have difficulty grasping this.
ron.reagan
ShooterTX said:

I think a rational argument would be the KKK has 0 good people and these protestors have at least some good people although sightly confused
Frank Galvin
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

We can, have, and should arrest people for what they say. I don't know why this is even a debate or controversial.
We certainly can and have. Being enthusiastic about the should is terrifying. They arrested Galileo for the heresy that the sun, rather than the earth, was the center of the solar system.
Frank Galvin
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

ShooterTX said:

Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

Because they like freedom?
Jack Bauer
This is a UCLA PROFESSOR acting like a toddler...

D. C. Bear
ron.reagan said:

ShooterTX said:

I think a rational argument would be the KKK has 0 good people and these protestors have at least some good people although sightly confused

That's not a rational argument.
Wangchung
Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

ShooterTX said:

Frank Galvin said:

ShooterTX said:

Because they like freedom?
They like the freedom to threaten but when they are threatened in return it's the end of the world. Hell, imagine telling one of the protestors you have the freedom to misgender them. Woooo boy, that becomes a public mental breakdown.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Redbrickbear
D. C. Bear said:

ron.reagan said:

ShooterTX said:

It is in ron's trotskyite world view.

"good people" have rights..."bad people" don't
boognish_bear
ShooterTX
muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

muddybrazos said:

ShooterTX said:

Well, you and I are talking about 2 different things here. I'm talking about conservative speakers not being able to come to a campus bc of antifa rioters. I dont know who had to pick up the tab for the cops and troopers to run out protesters. I dont know if these protesters actually broke the laws so I will just defer to Frank Galvin on that.
It's kind of funny, but they are not so different.

Antifa uses violence and terroristic threats to keep Ben Shapiro off of campus. The Hamas/Gaza supporters use violence and terroristic threats to keep normal people off of campus.

No group, no matter what their political stance, should be allowed on any campus if they are using terroristic threats that keep others (especially students) away from campus. "Death to America" and "From the river to the sea" are clear terroristic threats. How do we know this? - because these are the chants of actual terrorists who have committed actual acts of violence & terrorism.

When the neo-Nazis chanted "Blood & Soil", it was rightly seen as a terroristic threat of violence because it was a favorite chant of the actual Nazis.

I'm all for free speech, but chanting "Death to America" is not free speech... it is a call to violent action. "From the river to the sea" is not free speech, it is a call to genocidal violence against the Jews.

Free speech is supposed to be about the free exchange of ideas. It is about debate, and attempting to win over people to your side by using persuasion, logic, and reason. Chanting slogans of hate, genocide and threats is NOT free speech. These are threats of violence, and the 1st Amendment does NOT protect threats of violence.

It is one thing to be in a town hall meeting, and to say that you think America should be defeated. It is quite another to rally a mob of protestors with chants like "Death to America". One is protected speech, the other is encouraging a mob into violent action.
ShooterTX
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

ron.reagan said:

ShooterTX said:

It is in ron's trotskyite world view.

"good people" have rights..."bad people" don't
Maybe in communist Russia you have rights to do what you want on private property, but not in the US.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.