Campus Protests

44,693 Views | 1107 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by nein51
The_barBEARian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Frank Galvin said:

About 90% of this thread is a comment on how the protestors demonstrate how crazy liberals are.

Which is really odd in that the protest is aimed at the policy of a liberal president.

And many liberal universities are shutting down the protests.

And conservatives are leading the charge to criminalize hate speech.

I know and its utterly pathetic.

These people deserve the 3rd world hellscape this country is turning into.
cowboycwr
sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

Of course it is a top priority.

If one group of citizens can be targeted like this with impunity, and
no retribution for blatant antisemitism, then any group of citizens
can be targeted in a similar way.

GOP leadership is weak,

They have been pretty strong on being against anti-semitism

The question is where were they during the anti-White pogroms during BLM?

Mitt Romney was out there marching in the street with the DC BLM

Has any top GOP leader been out marching in the street with the pro-Palestinian protestors? of course not

Rarely do I defend BLM for anything, but there were different kinds of BLM marches and protests. Yea, it's become a punch line, but fact is, a majority were peaceful and reasonable. There were, in fact, multiple marches where police forces joined. There were prayer sessions involving all kinds. If any of those would have been near me, I may well have attended. As for those that were violent/radical, there were plenty of conservative politicians and influencers calling it out and saying more should be done.
Based on the fact that the BLM marches were predicated on the lie that police are hunting down innocent black people NONE of the BLM marches were "reasonable."

Whether police always do the right thing or not, it is always reasonable to ask them to do the right thing.

The vast majority of BLM protesters were asking that police who kill innocent blacks be held accountable, and that they seek to treat everyone fairly.

It could be argued that in the past decade or 2 police themselves have become much more diverse, better representing the demographics of the U.S., and that for every mistreatment of a black American, there are probably 3 of a white American. However, the centuries before that created a narrative very different, and when such injustice has been perpetrated for so long, it just takes more than 1 or 2 decades of fair policecwork to change the societal narrative.

The peaceful BLM protests were exactly reasonable, and anyone making use of their right to peacefully protest, I applaud, even if I disagree with the cause.
I'm glad that you also agree that the blm riots were about feelings and narrative rather than facts and reality.

Centuries of police brutality is a fact. Yes people care. I do think recent police brutality was vastly overstated by mainstream media, but I am glad that people protested this perception. If you thought it was real, you'd have to be a real monster to not support such protests.
Centuries?????

Police were not even a common thing until very recently (in terms of human history).

I'm about as pro-cop as anyone, and it drives some of my libertarian and black friends crazy. I moved hard that way after going on some police ride alongs with some black friends and doing more research. We all developed a healthy respect for the jobs cops have to do.

That said, it's foolish to deny the history of law enforcement abuse against blacks. It's not just police of recent history. Think about how the U.S. slave trade itself started and was administered and who was involved. Think about how slavery was enforced and the "justice system" in effect. Think about law enforcement in post slavery, Jim Crow south. Think about law enforcement's role in fighting (literally) the civil rights movement. And even late into the 20th Century, it will take you 2 minutes on google to find rampant systematic racial abuse among certain major police departments.

Again, thankfully, we are far beyond that. And we don't have to beat ourselves up for it. But it's wrong to deny it and wrong to say it's just "emotional" for blacks.
OK and none of that proves anything about it being centuries of abuse by police. Most of what you listed in your rant had NOTHING to do with police.

And the little you do is within the last 100 years which makes it a century, singular.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

I believe in protests. They are protected by the Constitution "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
However these protests are not peaceable and disturb the common life of other students.
Besides, the beg the question of whether not the US can stop a war of a sovereign nation. I am certainly in favor of the right of Israel to protect itself but what is happening in Gaza is genocide and breeding more terrorists.
The protests have moved beyond their usefulness and whatever sympathy we had for their cause (to stop the killing of innocent Palestinians ) is waning. The people in charge have gone nuts. The administrators and police are showing great restraint.
Take note of this, and wake up to reality. This is the end result of liberalism run amok. This is the direction your party is heading.
muddybrazos
sombear said:

Frank Galvin said:

About 90% of this thread is a comment on how the protestors demonstrate how crazy liberals are.

Which is really odd in that the protest is aimed at the policy of a liberal president.

There are liberals and there are unhinged, extreme woke leftists. Unfortunately, the latter has become the base of the Dem party.

Most of the truly liberal universities work truly liberal leadership either took far too long or have caved and negotiated ridiculous agreements with the protestors.

Again you're conflating issues on hate speech. I don't know many folks on the right wanting to criminalize hate speech. Kicked out of a university, sure. The criminal behavior are direct threats, etc. but mostly the property and violence related crimes.
Well, 187 republicams just voted yes to criminalizing hate speech so clearly our representatives are not carrying out the will of the voters but rather the will of their lobbyists. So basically just business as usual.
Mothra
Frank Galvin said:

Liberal universities have paved the way for this type of outlandish conduct. Notice it is the liberal universities where these nutjobs are taking over campus buildings. These things aren't happening in conservative states and cities.

It's the same with liberal cities. Notice it's the San Frans and Chicago's of the world where protestors are shutting down roadways. It's not happening in conservative cities.

There is an explanation for this, if you're paying close attention.

GrowlTowel
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

I believe in protests. They are protected by the Constitution "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
However these protests are not peaceable and disturb the common life of other students.
Besides, the beg the question of whether not the US can stop a war of a sovereign nation. I am certainly in favor of the right of Israel to protect itself but what is happening in Gaza is genocide and breeding more terrorists.
The protests have moved beyond their usefulness and whatever sympathy we had for their cause (to stop the killing of innocent Palestinians ) is waning. The people in charge have gone nuts. The administrators and police are showing great restraint.
This is actually mostly spot on

Makes you wonder who wrote it.
cowboycwr
Frank Galvin said:

The protest is aimed more at the policy of the US, which has been the same in regards to Israel since 1948 whether it has been a D or R in the White House and that is that we support Israel. It just happens to be a liberal president in the WH right now but his policy is no different than any other president and it really isn't "his" policy it is just a continuation of the policy that has existed for decades.

The universities are not shutting down the protests.

It isn't hate speech that they want to criminalize but rather enforce the criminal penalty of terroristic speech, threats, or treason.
The_barBEARian
muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Frank Galvin said:

There are liberals and there are unhinged, extreme woke leftists. Unfortunately, the latter has become the base of the Dem party.

Most of the truly liberal universities work truly liberal leadership either took far too long or have caved and negotiated ridiculous agreements with the protestors.

Again you're conflating issues on hate speech. I don't know many folks on the right wanting to criminalize hate speech. Kicked out of a university, sure. The criminal behavior are direct threats, etc. but mostly the property and violence related crimes.
Well, 187 republicams just voted yes to criminalizing hate speech so clearly our representatives are not carrying out the will of the voters but rather the will of their lobbyists. So basically just business as usual.

sombear
muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Frank Galvin said:

Twitter isn't truth. It''s not a criminal bill. I don't like the bill, but it applies to Dept of Education.
The_barBEARian
sombear said:

muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Frank Galvin said:

Twitter isn't truth. It''s not a criminal bill. I don't like the bill, but it applies to Dept of Education.

It's not criminal.... yet.

But the stage has been set.

This was the first step.
muddybrazos
sombear said:

muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Frank Galvin said:

So you're ok with special protections for just one group as long as it applies to education or govt? One group that cant be criticized at all? That doesnt seem very American to me. I personally would like to see no anti BDS laws anywhere, no special anti semitism laws and no foreign lobbyists that dont have to register as such.
sombear
cowboycwr said:

sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

GOP leadership is weak,

Has any top GOP leader been out marching in the street with the pro-Palestinian protestors? of course not

Rarely do I defend BLM for anything, but there were different kinds of BLM marches and protests. Yea, it's become a punch line, but fact is, a majority were peaceful and reasonable. There were, in fact, multiple marches where police forces joined. There were prayer sessions involving all kinds. If any of those would have been near me, I may well have attended. As for those that were violent/radical, there were plenty of conservative politicians and influencers calling it out and saying more should be done.
Based on the fact that the BLM marches were predicated on the lie that police are hunting down innocent black people NONE of the BLM marches were "reasonable."

Whether police always do the right thing or not, it is always reasonable to ask them to do the right thing.

The vast majority of BLM protesters were asking that police who kill innocent blacks be held accountable, and that they seek to treat everyone fairly.

It could be argued that in the past decade or 2 police themselves have become much more diverse, better representing the demographics of the U.S., and that for every mistreatment of a black American, there are probably 3 of a white American. However, the centuries before that created a narrative very different, and when such injustice has been perpetrated for so long, it just takes more than 1 or 2 decades of fair policecwork to change the societal narrative.

The peaceful BLM protests were exactly reasonable, and anyone making use of their right to peacefully protest, I applaud, even if I disagree with the cause.
I'm glad that you also agree that the blm riots were about feelings and narrative rather than facts and reality.

Centuries of police brutality is a fact. Yes people care. I do think recent police brutality was vastly overstated by mainstream media, but I am glad that people protested this perception. If you thought it was real, you'd have to be a real monster to not support such protests.
Centuries?????

Police were not even a common thing until very recently (in terms of human history).

I'm about as pro-cop as anyone, and it drives some of my libertarian and black friends crazy. I moved hard that way after going on some police ride alongs with some black friends and doing more research. We all developed a healthy respect for the jobs cops have to do.

That said, it's foolish to deny the history of law enforcement abuse against blacks. It's not just police of recent history. Think about how the U.S. slave trade itself started and was administered and who was involved. Think about how slavery was enforced and the "justice system" in effect. Think about law enforcement in post slavery, Jim Crow south. Think about law enforcement's role in fighting (literally) the civil rights movement. And even late into the 20th Century, it will take you 2 minutes on google to find rampant systematic racial abuse among certain major police departments.

Again, thankfully, we are far beyond that. And we don't have to beat ourselves up for it. But it's wrong to deny it and wrong to say it's just "emotional" for blacks.
OK and none of that proves anything about it being centuries of abuse by police. Most of what you listed in your rant had NOTHING to do with police.

And the little you do is within the last 100 years which makes it a century, singular.

Seriously. You base your argument on the distinction between actual police and law enforcement? I don't think people care the title of the person arresting, incarcerating, harassing, beating, or killing them.

And the slave patrol certainly were police. And actual public police departments started expanding rapidly in the early to mid 19th Century.

And Actual police and police departments frequently committed heinous acts against blacks throughout the 19th and much of the 20th Century, all the way through and even after the civil rights movement.

Once again, from the late 20th Century to present, I'll defend cops and fight the false BLM narrative with the best of them. But I can't deny or dismiss a brutal history.
sombear
muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Frank Galvin said:

So you're ok with special protections for just one group as long as it applies to education or govt? One group that cant be criticized at all? That doesnt seem very American to me. I personally would like to see no anti BDS laws anywhere, no special anti semitism laws and no foreign lobbyists that dont have to register as such.

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't like the bill?

You said it was criminal. It's not.

And the Dept of Ed and many other departments have long applied their rules based on the subject of speech. This is just expanding it to be clear on antisemitism.

ShooterTX
Waco1947 said:

I am in shock.

I actually agree with most of this post. I don't agree with the genocide statement, but I do understand the logic behind the "breeding more terrorists" part.

Credit where credit is due... this is a really well stated post by Waco1947.

Blue star earned.
ShooterTX
Redbrickbear
sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

GOP leadership is weak,

Centuries?????

And the slave patrol certainly were police. And actual public police departments started expanding rapidly in the early to mid 19th Century.

Not to get too much into the weeds on this issue but the idea (pushed by the NAACP and other leftist groups) that old style slave patrols became modern policing is false...

[While it is true that slave patrols were a form of American law enforcement that existed alongside other forms of law enforcement, the claim that American policing "traces back" to, "started out" as, or "evolved directly from," slave patrols, or that slave patrols "morphed directly into" policing, is false. This widespread pernicious myth falsely asserts a causal relationship between slave patrols and policing and intimates that modern policing carries on a legacy of gross injustice. There is no evidence for either postulate.]

https://www.nas.org/academic-questions/36/3/did-american-police-originate-from-slave-patrols

[Institutionalized law enforcement in America can be traced as far back as the 1630s with the appointment of sheriffs in counties within the Virginia colony. Colonial sheriffs were modeled after their English equivalents and functioned as the chief law enforcement official in their counties. Around the same time, the cities of Boston and New York appointed constables and watchmen to protect lives and property at night. ]

The first truly modern police department was founded in London in 1829

"The London Metropolitan Police Force is widely regarded as being the first modern police force in the world..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Police

The first one in the USA was in Boston...who copied the Metropolitan Police force

"The first publicly funded, organized police force (in America) with officers on duty full-time was created in Boston in 1838"
sombear
I agree with you. It's another false narrative.
boognish_bear
Forest Bueller_bf
boognish_bear said:

Even when I was at a major University, I never considered a student there any better or brighter than most intelligent people who chose not to go to college.

A lot of students have fairly affluent parents who are parking them somewhere, until the kid grows up enough to get a real job. Even then it isn't always successful.
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

"I cut up a Rubbermaid trash can and now I can go cosplay William Wallace! Freedom!!!"
Jack Bauer
SEC SEC SEC!

cowboycwr
sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

GOP leadership is weak,

Centuries?????

Seriously. You base your argument on the distinction between actual police and law enforcement? I don't think people care the title of the person arresting, incarcerating, harassing, beating, or killing them.

And Actual police and police departments frequently committed heinous acts against blacks throughout the 19th and much of the 20th Century, all the way through and even after the civil rights movement.

Once again, from the late 20th Century to present, I'll defend cops and fight the false BLM narrative with the best of them. But I can't deny or dismiss a brutal history.
No that is not my argument. My argument is on the fact you said CENTURIES. As in over 200 years.

And all the evidence you provide is from the last 160 years. Which is not over two centuries and thus not plural.

And as with the current police it isn't a brutal history by all police. Just certain police officers or departments.
ShooterTX
Jack Bauer said:

SEC SEC SEC!

This is what should have happened at UT.

It is just disgusting that the school in Austin is in any way associated with the great state of Texas.
ShooterTX
ShooterTX
we need a lot more of this!

It should be every cop... every American, spitting on this flag of terrorism and evil.
ShooterTX
Realitybites
Just remember that the police you see breaking up these Palestinian riots are the same police who arrested Christians for going to church during Covid and confiscated guns in New Orleans after Katarina. They do the bidding of the people who sign their checks, nothing more and nothing less.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
sombear
cowboycwr said:

sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

sombear said:

cowboycwr said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

Porteroso said:

Wangchung said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Redbrickbear said:

GOP leadership is weak,

Centuries?????

No that is not my argument. My argument is on the fact you said CENTURIES. As in over 200 years.

And all the evidence you provide is from the last 160 years. Which is not over two centuries and thus not plural.

And as with the current police it isn't a brutal history by all police. Just certain police officers or departments.
Then you've changed your argument, because you specifically said "NOTHING to do with police," and even on your strange centuries argument, you said in your prior post I was referring mostly to things "in the last 100 years."

Regardless, it is irrelevant. The Slave Patrol started early 1700s.
boognish_bear
They gain entry at 6:25 mark

BigGameBaylorBear
Will never allow my child to go one of these liberal universities. Politics aside, there's too many distractions for normal students. How are you supposed to focus on exams with all that bull crap going on? They do this every couple years whether it's BLM, abortion, and now Gaza
boognish_bear
ShooterTX
boognish_bear said:

It took almost a week for them to get the polling and focus group feedback... and so they wrote this for the brainless guy to read it.
At least they didn't type "Pause" this time.
ShooterTX
Harrison Bergeron
The fact there is disagreement about this shows how stupidly tribal so much of 'Murica has become ...

For lack of a better word,
- One "side" has been consistent in condemning violent, property-destroying riots
- The other "side" yesterday was calling for fascist-style censorship, authoritarian-style "disinformation bureaus," and cancelling people for "misgendering" someone

We're a society of idiots.
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

One "side" has been consistent in condemning violent, property-destroying riots
LOL
sombear
boognish_bear said:

That was freaking awesome

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.