How To Get To Heaven When You Die

103,936 Views | 2082 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

In Catholicism, Mary is called the "Queen of Heaven".

Is the "queen of heaven" biblical? It sure is. Read Jeremiah 7:16-20:

"As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you. Do you not see what they are doing in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? The children gather wood, the fathers kindle fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven. And they pour out drink offerings to other gods, to provoke me to anger. Is it I whom they provoke? declares the Lord. Is it not themselves, to their own shame? Therefore thus says the Lord God: Behold, my anger and my wrath will be poured out on this place, upon man and beast, upon the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground; it will burn and not be quenched."

The "queen of heaven" was the goddess Ishtar, also known as Ashtoreth, which was an idol that the Israelites were worshiping, thus provoking God to anger and bringing upon themselves complete and utter destruction in judgement.

It's no accident or coincidence that Mary is called the "Queen of Heaven". Catholics have been led and deceived by the Devil into Mary worship, which is ancient pagan goddess worship reawakened. Please, Catholics, wake up and open your eyes, and see this for what it really is. STOP worshiping Mary and repent, and turn and worship Jesus only.

Do you believe veneration = worship?

Do you honestly believe God is going to respect your ad hoc, artificial distinctions??

The Catholic argument that veneration is not worship, is like a husband/wife who has an illicit affair, then explains to their spouse that "I only have sex with them. I make love to you!"
Oldbear83
Good day, everyone.

I can't help but wonder what some members hope to accomplish with their posts. There is really no chance that anyone is going to admit they were wrong and their opponent right on an issue. And no one likes being the target of a personal attack, yet those posts are depressingly common. It would be better if we could all make our points and accept that there is going to be some disagreement.

With that said, I will repeat that I believe it's a mistake to pray to Mary, the mother of Christ. I have several reasons for this position:

First, while I understand the concept of asking someone you know to pray for you, that is a person in this world speaking to someone else in this world. While I do believe that believers have eternal life in Christ, there is not even one instance in Scripture of anyone praying to someone besides God to help them, except for one notable instance. No good King or Prophet or Priest prayed to Abraham, to Moses, or any of the Judges, for example.

That exception, in case you wonder, was King Saul trying to reach Samuel. Of course in Saul's case he did not pray to Samuel (at least, Scripture does not say he does, and if he did it did not work), but instead commanded the Witch of Endor to raise up Samuel, and we all know that did not end well.
So there is nothing in Scripture to indicate we may pray to someone in Heaven other than God.

Also, we have direct access to Christ. Why would we seek a different mediator when He is available to us? It makes even less sense to pray to someone to intercede on our behalf with Christ.

Also, I really am uncomfortable with the behavior used with regard to Mary. The 'Hail Mary' prayer in particular concern me, since we know from Scripture that God is not a respecter of persons. Consider, for example, the first chapter of Matthew, where we are reminded of the genealogy of Christ, including Abraham, Judah, Jesse, David, Asa, and so on all the way to Christ. Yet none of these is held to be the equal of Mary by the Catholics. The special rank seems extra-biblical at best.

Further, in an earlier post I observed that Christ went out of His way to name common men to be His disciples. Peter, whom the Catholics consider to be their first pope, was a simple fisherman, after all. Christ had a plain and clear message, and in my opinion we should look for plain and clear explanations when sorting out these disputes.

I have read the explanations about Mary from our Catholic friends, but they really do seem like circular arguments.

But after making that argument, I dispute the implication that praying to Mary to reach Jesus will send you to hell. Falling back again on plain reading of Scripture, confession of sins and belief in Christ are what God wants, and John 3:16 makes the matter clear.

So how to deal with this behavior? I have written before than while I am sure of God's mercy through Jesus Christ, I also know that if there was a ranking of Christians I would be near the bottom of that assembly. That means that I have zero intention of playing judge about someone's standing, especially when that person believes in Christ and in the main lives by the Word of God.

Some will say you cannot be a Christian and be in error of doctrine. Certainly both Catholics and Protestants have persecuted people on that theory, sometimes to violence. To my mind we must never forget that Christ commanded us to pray for our enemies, and bless those who curse us. If we are to do that for enemies, how much better should we treat a brother or sister in Christ, even if we believe they are in error?

As an aside but relevant to this question, I have wondered from time to time why there is a thousand-year reign of Christ before the final heavenly kingdom. The reasons, I believe, include the need for us all to transition from the person we were in our earthly life, to fully become the person we are meant to become. For some that may be a short work, and for others it may take a very long time. I believe that a person who truly accepts Christ as Lord but who is wrong on some matter of doctrine, will make correction during the millennial reign of Christ. And anyone who imagines he or she will not need that correction in their own life, will find quite the surprise when Christ speaks to them on their entry into the Kingdom.

Well, that's it for now. I expect to hear how wrong I am (and one who insists I am a coward) for my thoughts and opinions, but I did post this in hope of advancing the discussion, or at least seeking some peace between the two sides on this issue.

Thanks for reading.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you. Do you not see what they are doing in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? The children gather wood, the fathers kindle fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven. And they pour out drink offerings to other gods, to provoke me to anger. Is it I whom they provoke? declares the Lord. Is it not themselves, to their own shame? Therefore thus says the Lord God: Behold, my anger and my wrath will be poured out on this place, upon man and beast, upon the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground; it will burn and not be quenched."

The "queen of heaven" was the goddess Ishtar, also known as Ashtoreth, which was an idol that the Israelites were worshiping, thus provoking God to anger and bringing upon themselves complete and utter destruction in judgement.

It's no accident or coincidence that Mary is called the "Queen of Heaven". Catholics have been led and deceived by the Devil into Mary worship, which is ancient pagan goddess worship reawakened. Please, Catholics, wake up and open your eyes, and see this for what it really is. STOP worshiping Mary and repent, and turn and worship Jesus only.

Do you honestly believe God is going to respect your ad hoc, artificial distinctions??

The Catholic argument that veneration is not worship, is like a husband/wife who has an illicit affair, then explains to their spouse that "I only have sex with them. I make love to you!"

I am certain that God is fully able to understand the difference between veneration and worship unlike you who mistakenly believes he has god-like powers of discernment and judgement.

Not that your stupid take is at all analogous, but sex and love are 2 different things.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

If Jesus is the second Adam (1 Corinthians 15:45) then how does that make Mary the second "Eve"? Mary was Jesus' mother, not wife. Mary gave birth to Jesus. Eve did not give birth to Adam. Actually, it was the other way around - Eve came from Adam (his rib).

If Jesus is the new "Adam", then the new "Eve" would be his wife/bride, not his mother. Who is the bride of Jesus? His Church (Ephesians 5:24-27, 2 Corinthians 11:2, Revelation 19:7-9).
It's a metaphor. Man brought forth woman (both sinless) who brought sin into the world. Now a man born from a woman (both sinless) gave us our salvation.
BusyTarpDuster2017
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I am certain that God is fully able to understand the difference between veneration and worship unlike you who mistakenly believes he has god-like powers of discernment and judgement.

Not that your stupid take is at all analogous, but sex and love are 2 different things.
Isn't a "stupid take" saying that it's "Pharisee" to believe Chrisians should believe in Christianity? Maybe you're not in position to judge, huh?

It's funny that you completely missed the point about sex and love - will your spouse buy that excuse? "Oh honey, sex and love are two different things. Love is higher than sex. I give them sex. I give YOU love". LOL.

And did you read the excerpt in Jeremiah above? God brought total destruction on Israel for "children gathering wood, father's kindling fire, and women kneading dough" for the queen of heaven. You think that Catholics are doing a LOT more than gathering and kindling wood, and baking bread for Mary?? Maybe you're right - God should have been a little more understanding, and just redefined the Israelites' actions as "veneration" rather than "worship" and let them off the hook.

Catholics, please stop with the vocabulary inventions and semantic bs as if you're gonna put one over God. Stop worshiping Mary, and worship God alone.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Where is Jesus in all your prayers?
Jesus is receiving the prayers from the saints. They are interceding for me.
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who told you these saints have the position they hold?
This question is too vague do address. Please define it or narrow it.
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How do you even know they're in heaven?
Today, the Church has a formal canonization process. A case is opened for a potential saint in their local diocese. After intense scrutiny of their life, writings, etc., the bishop believes that the evidence sufficient, he forwards it to Vatican's Congregation for the Causes of Saints for them to review.

If they believe that the person led a virtuous life, they candidate receives the title 'venerable'. Now church communities can begin asking the venerable to intercede on someone's behalf for a healing miracle. Once that miracle is verified by medical experts and theologians, they receive the title "Blessed."

Only when a second miracle attributed to their intercession is confirmed by the same process, is the person now referred to as a Saint.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta had two miracles which were attributed to her canonization. The first was a woman that cured of a lump in her abdomen after a medallion touched by Mother Teresa touched her abdomen.

The second miracle the curing of a man close to death dealing with abscesses in his brain. A relic of Mother Teresa next to his head and he was healed.

Here is the link that provided more background on the miracles.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How is this any different than the pagan idol worship that plaqued Israel, prompting God to severely punish them?
No Catholic believes that the saints are gods.
BusyTarpDuster2017
But are those prayers to Mary that I posted elevating Mary to Jesus, and is that heretical and idolatrous?

The question that you absolutely refuse to answer. And it speaks VOLUMES - even more than your extra long post does.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

But are those prayers to Mary that I posted elevating Mary to Jesus, and is that heretical and idolatrous?

The question that you absolutely refuse to answer. And it speaks VOLUMES - even more than your extra long post does.
I am 1 for 1 in my predictions so far.

And for the record, I answer to Christ, not interrogators. Whom you cannot control, you despise, BTD.

Yet you see nothing wrong with that.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

It's a metaphor. Man brought forth woman (both sinless) who brought sin into the world. Now a man born from a woman (both sinless) gave us our salvation.

In Isiah 14:12, Satan is called morning star and Lucifer. In Revelation 22:16, Jesus identifies himself as morning star.

By your analogy, Jesus and Satan are the same.

Jesus is the King of the kings. Mary being His mother would make her the Queen. Just like Bathsheba was the Queen when Solomon ruled. Biblically, we see in Revelation 12:1-2

"And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; she was with child and she cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish for delivery"

In this imagery, Mary is in Heaven (she is standing on the moon and clothed with the sun." She is wearing a crown of 12 stars. She is the Queen of Heaven.

There is nothing unbiblical here except for you biased exegesis.

Finally, no one is worshiping Mary.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Where is Jesus in all your prayers?
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who told you these saints have the position they hold?
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How do you even know they're in heaven?
Today, the Church has a formal canonization process. A case is opened for a potential saint in their local diocese. After intense scrutiny of their life, writings, etc., the bishop believes that the evidence sufficient, he forwards it to Vatican's Congregation for the Causes of Saints for them to review.

If they believe that the person led a virtuous life, they candidate receives the title 'venerable'. Now church communities can begin asking the venerable to intercede on someone's behalf for a healing miracle. Once that miracle is verified by medical experts and theologians, they receive the title "Blessed."

Only when a second miracle attributed to their intercession is confirmed by the same process, is the person now referred to as a Saint.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta had two miracles which were attributed to her canonization. The first was a woman that cured of a lump in her abdomen after a medallion touched by Mother Teresa touched her abdomen.

The second miracle the curing of a man close to death dealing with abscesses in his brain. A relic of Mother Teresa next to his head and he was healed.

Here is the link that provided more background on the miracles.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How is this any different than the pagan idol worship that plaqued Israel, prompting God to severely punish them?
No Catholic believes that the saints are gods.
- Where is Jesus in all YOUR prayers? You answered it. He's not. And that should tell you something.

- The question isn't vague. I'm asking you from what source do you draw this belief.

- NO ONE can absolutely know who went to heaven, and who didn't. Only God knows.. We can only assume or guess. Fallible humans can endow any "virtuousity" titles they want, but no one can know the heart except God. Remember all those who relied on their "virtuosity" and said, "Lord, didn't we do all these great things in your name?" but to them Jesus replied, "I never knew you. Depart from me"?

By ascribing the quality of, or at least the near quality of, omniscience to saints, evidenced by their ability to read your thoughts and prayers, you are elevating them to the level of gods. You are also ascribing to them "authority" over distinct areas or "jurisdictions" (saint of workers, saint of cancer patients, saint of anxiety, etc). This sounds so eerily similar to the pagan world having gods of harvest, fertility, health, etc. And NOWHERE are we told in the bible that saints "govern" these things. You are being deceived and duped into behaving in the exact same way as those pagans throughout history who looked to idols for their protection, comfort, and needs. Please open your eyes. Pray, worship, and seek God/Jesus only. Go to HIM directly for your needs and concerns. He is telling you this:

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me."

NOT the saints. NOT Mary. Jesus himself.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

And for the record, I answer to Christ, not interrogators. Whom you cannot control, you despise, BTD.

Another failure to defend the honor of Jesus.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

In Isiah 14:12, Satan is called morning star and Lucifer. In Revelation 22:16, Jesus identifies himself as morning star.

Jesus is the King of the kings. Mary being His mother would make her the Queen. Just like Bathsheba was the Queen when Solomon ruled. Biblically, we see in Revelation 12:1-2

"And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; she was with child and she cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish for delivery"

In this imagery, Mary is in Heaven (she is standing on the moon and clothed with the sun." She is wearing a crown of 12 stars. She is the Queen of Heaven.

- Satan is called the "morning star". Jesus is called the "BRIGHT, morning star". Jesus is being elevated above Satan. No such thing is occurring with Mary and the "queen of heaven" in the bible.

- Nowhere in the bible is Mary ever referred to as "queen". The only reference to the "queen of heaven", a title given to Mary by Catholics, is a pagan godess whose worship of brought destruction on God's people. If God is ever giving you Catholics a warning, this is it.

- the earliest Christians and church fathers did NOT take the imagery of the "woman clothed with the sun" in Revelation as Mary, but as Israel. And notice something very important here: if you're saying that the woman is Mary, note that she had "cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish". Birth pains are the result of the curse on women for original sin. You are saying that Mary had original sin!

- again, God is not going to respect your ad hoc vocabulary inventions to get around "worship" as being just "veneration", or your artificial distinctions between "latria" and "hyperdulia". Even the pagan world knows what you're doing is worship. And even to them your denial of it is ridiculous.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

- Satan is called the "morning star". Jesus is called the "BRIGHT, morning star". Jesus is being elevated above Satan. No such thing is occurring with Mary and the "queen of heaven" in the bible.

- Nowhere in the bible is Mary ever referred to as "queen". The only reference to the "queen of heaven", a title given to Mary by Catholics, is a pagan godess whose worship of brought destruction on God's people. If God is ever giving you Catholics a warning, this is it.

- the earliest Christians and church fathers did NOT take the imagery of the "woman clothed with the sun" in Revelation as Mary, but as Israel. And notice something very important here: if you're saying that the woman is Mary, note that she had "cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish". Birth pains are the result of the curse on women for original sin. You are saying that Mary had original sin!

- again, God is not going to respect your ad hoc vocabulary inventions to get around "worship" as being just "veneration", or your artificial distinctions between "latria" and "hyperdulia".

Thanks for playing. I enjoy seeing pinheads like you with your reliance on hyperbolic fallacy get all wound up.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Another failure to defend the honor arrogance of Jesus BTD.
Corrected.

Jesus' honor remains pristine.
Waco1947
Grace means grace. Repentance becomes work righteousness, repentance prepares us for true kingdom living in the here and now.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You left out the beginning of the book where Saint Alphonsus writes:

Quote:

My most loving Redeemer and Lord Jesus Christ, I, Thy miserable servant . . . I know not, however, to whom I could better recommend it than to Thee, who hast her glory so much at heart. To Thee, therefore, do I dedicate and commend it . . . this Immaculate Virgin in whom Thou hast placed the hope and whom Thou hast made the refuge of all the redeemed . . .
Quote:

And now I turn to thee, O my most sweet Lady and Mother Mary. Thou well knowest that, after Jesus, I have placed my entire hope of salvation in thee; for I acknowledge that everything good my conversion, my vocation to renounce the world and all the other graces that I have received from God all were given me through thy means. (p. 23)

Attached is a link that defends the Glories of Mary. Feel free to read at your leisure.

As I and others have mentioned, this is only a prayer. Everything that is attributed to Mary is only thru, by, and for the Glory of Jesus.

You stated that millions of Catholics have said the prayer. First, there is nothing wrong with it. Second, there are a billion Catholics in the world and hundreds of millions that have never said it. I probably couldn't find 100 Catholics in my parish that are familiar with this prayer. It has no bearing on their salvation.

You can keep writing the same tired comments about this prayer, but I am done responding to them. Read the link, please.

Oldbear83
You planning on responding to my last, Coke Bear, or did BTD say it all?
Coke Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Sorry, specifically which one?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You left out the beginning of the book where Saint Alphonsus writes:

Quote:

My most loving Redeemer and Lord Jesus Christ, I, Thy miserable servant . . . I know not, however, to whom I could better recommend it than to Thee, who hast her glory so much at heart. To Thee, therefore, do I dedicate and commend it . . . this Immaculate Virgin in whom Thou hast placed the hope and whom Thou hast made the refuge of all the redeemed . . .
Quote:

And now I turn to thee, O my most sweet Lady and Mother Mary. Thou well knowest that, after Jesus, I have placed my entire hope of salvation in thee; for I acknowledge that everything good my conversion, my vocation to renounce the world and all the other graces that I have received from God all were given me through thy means. (p. 23)

Attached is a link that defends the Glories of Mary. Feel free to read at your leisure.

As I and others have mentioned, this is only a prayer. Everything that is attributed to Mary is only thru, by, and for the Glory of Jesus.

You stated that millions of Catholics have said the prayer. First, there is nothing wrong with it. Second, there are a billion Catholics in the world and hundreds of millions that have never said it. I probably couldn't find 100 Catholics in my parish that are familiar with this prayer. It has no bearing on their salvation.

You can keep writing the same tired comments about this prayer, but I am done responding to them. Read the link, please.
If Catholics don't believe what they're doing with Mary is wrong, then why did they REMOVE the part of the Ten Commandments prohibiting bowing to graven images?
BusyTarpDuster2017
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

- again, God is not going to respect your ad hoc vocabulary inventions to get around "worship" as being just "veneration", or your artificial distinctions between "latria" and "hyperdulia".

Thanks for playing. I enjoy seeing pinheads like you with your reliance on hyperbolic fallacy get all wound up.
Excellent, thought provoking rebuttal! Kudos!
BusyTarpDuster2017
Are you going to address how the woman in Revelation is Mary, if the woman experienced anguish from birth pangs, which is the result of the curse of original sin?
Oldbear83
Coke Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Mine from this afternoon. The one BTD made a point to not read, since he does not like long posts or posts from me.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

Coke Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Mine from this afternoon. The one BTD made a point to not read, since he does not like long posts or posts from me.
I don't like those who proclaim to love Jesus, have the Holy Spirit, then completely collapse when confronted with that which is an obvious affront to both. If you do believe those prayers to be heretical and idolatrous, then your silence is a betrayal of your faith. If you DON'T believe those prayers to be heretical and idolatrous, then your claim to having the Holy Spirit is seriously under question.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Learned long ago that casting my pearls before swine are a waste of my time and unedifying to the swine.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Satan is called the "morning star". Jesus is called the "BRIGHT, morning star". Jesus is being elevated above Satan. No such thing is occurring with Mary and the "queen of heaven" in the bible.
Are you trying to twist the data? Both are called morning star. One evil, one pure. One false queen of heaven, one true queen of heaven.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

No where in the Bible does anyone call Jesus our "Lord and Personal Savior", but yet many people do this today. Similarly, There nothing wrong with calling Mary Queen if Jesus is the King.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I thought that you didn't respect the Church fathers opinions. Irrespective St. Epiphanius of Salamis in AD 403 refers to her in Revelation 12 and Quodvultdeus in AD 430, friend and disciple of At Augustine states:

"None of you is ignorant of the fact that the dragon was the devil. The woman signified the Virgin Mary."

With respect to the woman being Israel, let's compare this to Genesis. What three characters do we see? Adam, Eve, and Satan. In Revelation, we also have three characters: The Child - Jesus; the dragon - Satan; and the woman - Mary.

Revelation has polyvalent symbolism all throughout. The woman can be seen as Israel, the Church, Eve, and Mary.
Oldbear83
Yet again, BTD, you are not Christ.

And yeah, you are radiating 'Caiaphas' far more than 'Holy Spirit' in your recent posts.

BusyTarpDuster2017
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Learned long ago that casting my pearls before swine are a waste of my time and unedifying to the swine.
Except you might be getting the pearls and the swine mixed up.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Are you going to address how the woman in Revelation is Mary, if the woman experienced anguish from birth pangs, which is the result of the curse of original sin?
Birth pangs were for all women after the fall. Remember Genesis 3:16 states:

To the woman [the Lord God] said, "I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children."

Some birth pangs could have very been part of God's plan.

Revelation is filled with metaphors and birth pangs here could also be metaphors. It's quite possible that John was describing the agony that Mary would suffer with Jesus' arrest, torture, and crucifixion.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Except you might be getting the pearls and the swing mixed up.
Considering what pearls are made from, you might actually have a point there, BTD.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Satan is called the "morning star". Jesus is called the "BRIGHT, morning star". Jesus is being elevated above Satan. No such thing is occurring with Mary and the "queen of heaven" in the bible.
Are you trying to twist the data? Both are called morning star. One evil, one pure. One false queen of heaven, one true queen of heaven.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

No where in the Bible does anyone call Jesus our "Lord and Personal Savior", but yet many people do this today. Similarly, There nothing wrong with calling Mary Queen if Jesus is the King.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I thought that you didn't respect the Church fathers opinions. Irrespective St. Epiphanius of Salamis in AD 403 refers to her in Revelation 12 and Quodvultdeus in AD 430, friend and disciple of At Augustine states:

"None of you is ignorant of the fact that the dragon was the devil. The woman signified the Virgin Mary."

With respect to the woman being Israel, let's compare this to Genesis. What three characters do we see? Adam, Eve, and Satan. In Revelation, we also have three characters: The Child - Jesus; the dragon - Satan; and the woman - Mary.

Revelation has polyvalent symbolism all throughout. The woman can be seen as Israel, the Church, Eve, and Mary.
- Who's "twisting data"? I'm quoting you directly what the bible says! Why are you IGNORING the data, i.e. bright morning star?

- Everywhere in the bible is Jesus called Lord and Savior, and he is characterized as personal ("If anyone opens the door to me, I will dine with him, and he with me"). Therefore, Jesus as one's personal Savior is completely biblical. However, there is NOTHING in the bible that even comes close to calling Mary as "Queen".

- check the dates of those quotations - 5th century. And nowhere did I say I did not respect the Church fathers and opinions. The point here, is that the idea that the woman in Revelation is Mary was not even in the minds of the earliest Christians, a point that you so effectively illustrated.

- any ad hoc explanations yet for the woman in Revelation having the curse of birth pangs, if she is supposed to be a sinless Mary without that curse? Or why the Catholic church REMOVED the part of the Ten Commandments from the bible that prohibited bowing to graven images?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Birth pangs were for all women after the fall. Remember Genesis 3:16 states:

To the woman [the Lord God] said, "I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children."

Some birth pangs could have very been part of God's plan.

Revelation is filled with metaphors and birth pangs here could also be metaphors. It's quite possible that John was describing the agony that Mary would suffer with Jesus' arrest, torture, and crucifixion.
Yes, they were for all women after the fall - because it was the curse of original sin. All women who have original sin have anguishing birth pains - like the woman in Revelation.

No, the text quite clearly says the pain the woman suffered was from giving birth. Saying it is a metaphor for Mary's anguish at Jesus crucifixion is yet another ad hoc reach.
Oldbear83
Oldbear83 said:

Coke Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I guess not.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

And yeah, you are radiating 'Caiaphas' far more than 'Holy Spirit' in your recent posts.
I'm really not surprised you perceive things this way.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

I do have a predilection for honesty. Not often popular, but it's what I do.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

I do have a predilection for honesty. Not often popular, but it's what I do.
Is that why you were caught lying in the other thread, where you accused me of attacking you in a private message, and so I posted the message verbatim which showed no attack? And everyone witnessed your lie? Do you want a link?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.