How To Get To Heaven When You Die

104,077 Views | 2084 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Realitybites
Realitybites
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4th and Inches said:

Wangchung said:

James 2:14
Faith without works is dead.
the thief on the cross completed no other work than to believe..

He was invited and believed in Jesus.. that is sufficient.

If you are nailed to a cross, speaking is the only work you are capable of doing before you die.

"29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Matthew 25:29-30
Realitybites
In Matthew 26:28, Jesus said "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

"Remission" is an interesting word, that has two meanings. Often, evangelical preachers lock into the first one "1. the cancellation of a debt, charge, or penalty", thesaurusizing it into forgiveness and leaving the understanding of their hearers at that level.

But remission has a second meaning that is completely relevant to the Christian faith: "2. a temporary diminution of the severity of disease or pain" particularly when seen in light of verses such as 2nd Corinthians 12:7-10. In this meaning, remission goes beyond a legal cancellation of debt and is seen more in a medical sense, where Christ's sacrifice is seen as the chemotherapy that holds the cancer of our sin in abeyance in this life. Separating ourselves from communion, then, is far more than just skipping a memorial day observance. It's actually skipping doses of the medicine that helps us carry our crosses and follow Him.

Something to think about. Ideally, I would like to see all churches bring back the practice of weekly communion. It ensures that we have the opportunity to partake regularly, and it confronts us with the reality of Christ's sacrifice so that we can engage in the self examination to see if we are living in a way that is worthy of partaking in it.
Swanni
Just scanned this thread and am somewhat entertained that so many show final judgement as their duty and right. Frankly, getting to Heaven isn't your call. My God and His Son have the only call. Is Judas in Heaven? Maybe but it is not my decision. Get over your self importance. We've all committed horrible sins yet we're hoping to get there.
Swanni
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

There you go again. Posting what I did not say, and displaying - again - a bitter spirit.

Interesting though, that you conflate our Lord Jesus Christ with a human thinker, and consider your pastor as no more than a professor of an academic subject.
What I posted is exactly analogous to what you always do. There's written proof throughout this thread.

And your second point is even more ridiculous - an analogy does not imply that two things are the same. Do you even understand what an analogy is?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Swanni said:

Just scanned this thread and am somewhat entertained that so many show final judgement as their duty and right. Frankly, getting to Heaven isn't your call. My God and His Son have the only call. Is Judas in Heaven? Maybe but it is not my decision. Get over your self importance. We've all committed horrible sins yet we're hoping to get there.
No one is claiming it is their call. No one disagrees that it is God and Jesus' call. But are we just left in the dark here? Can we just "hope to get there", or is there a way of knowing more clearly about how?

Unless you believe that the bible isn't the word of God, or that it doesn't tell us anything about how to go heaven, or that everyone goes to heaven regardless of their belief, then you too have some sort of belief as to why some go, while others don't. What is your take?
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

There you go again. Posting what I did not say, and displaying - again - a bitter spirit.

Interesting though, that you conflate our Lord Jesus Christ with a human thinker, and consider your pastor as no more than a professor of an academic subject.
What I posted is exactly analogous to what you always do. There's written proof throughout this thread.

And your second point is even more ridiculous - an analogy does not imply that two things are the same. Do you even understand what an analogy is?
Pure bloviation.

This is a thread about religion and faith, and so my quoting Scripture and Christ in specific is both relevant and supports my point. But you tried to brush it off by comparing Christ to a Greek math geek.

And so too with the pastor; any Christian knows the importance of taking matters to his/her pastor for guidance and insight. But again you dismiss the point and dismiss the role of a pastor to no more than a class teacher.

And I did not even comment before how your ad hominem tactics speak to the level of your behavior here.

Yes, I know what an analogy is, and you failed to make one. What you did was evasion, if we're going to use the correct terminology.

Your last shot at Swanni also, sadly, demonstrates the bitter nature of how you speak to this matter.

With that said, I made my point quite clear. Too many people who call themselves Christian don't do much more than put bumper stickers on their car, wear jewelry and brag about how great they are as people. Looking at places like Lakewood and FBC Dallas.

So while you and Frodo are correct that we are saved by Christ's atonement and nothing we do has merit in our redemption, it is still vital to remind everyone of the need to walk the walk. And I have repeatedly shown where Scripture says just that.

If you believe that it is not our duty to serve in works as followers of Christ, just say so and show the Scripture which supports your position.

KOKQB70
Thank you again OB83 for saying what I believe so eloquently, you made my day.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Pure bloviation.

This is a thread about religion and faith, and so my quoting Scripture and Christ in specific is both relevant and supports my point. But you tried to brush it off by comparing Christ to a Greek math geek.

And so too with the pastor; any Christian knows the importance of taking matters to his/her pastor for guidance and insight. But again you dismiss the point and dismiss the role of a pastor to no more than a class teacher.

And I did not even comment before how your ad hominem tactics speak to the level of your behavior here.

Yes, I know what an analogy is, and you failed to make one. What you did was evasion, if we're going to use the correct terminology.

Your last shot at Swanni also, sadly, demonstrates the bitter nature of how you speak to this matter.

With that said, I made my point quite clear. Too many people who call themselves Christian don't do much more than put bumper stickers on their car, wear jewelry and brag about how great they are as people. Looking at you, Lakewood and FBC Dallas.

So while you and Frodo are correct that we are saved by Christ's atonement and nothing we do has merit in our redemption, it is still vital to remind everyone of the need to walk the walk. And I have repeatedly shown where Scripture says just that.

If you believe that it is not our duty to serve in works as followers of Christ, just say so and show the Scripture which supports your position.

Bloviation is an accurate description of YOUR posts, not mine.

You just don't know what you're talking about. You don't know what an analogy is. No "shot" was taken against Swanni. You, like always, are just reading into it what you want, then, incredibly, accusing others of doing just that.

If you want to "advance the discussion", then it starts by you actually answering the questions instead of just "bloviating" around them.
Oldbear83
** sigh **

You do you, then.

I, and my friend Reason, are departing for now.
Oldbear83
"it confronts us with the reality of Christ's sacrifice so that we can engage in the self examination to see if we are living in a way that is worthy of partaking in it."

Well said, thank you for that post.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

** sigh **

You do you, then.

I, and my friend Reason, are departing for now.
Oh, really, REASON?

Then kindly explain using your powerful facility of "reason" how my response to Swanni was a "shot" at him or was "bitter" in any way.

You can "sigh" after you actually answer a question.
xfrodobagginsx
Swanni said:

Judas is not in heaven. The Bible calls him the Son of Perdition (Destruction) and says that he went to his own place. I would not want to be him. Jesus said it would have been better for him if he had never been born.
xfrodobagginsx
Sam Lowry said:

I don't think this thread is going to heaven, but I sure wish it would die.

Why? Just move on to a different thread of you don't want to talk about it. Why try to stop our conversation? Should people stop you from talking about the topics that you like?
BusyTarpDuster2017
xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Why? Just move on to a different thread of you don't want to talk about it. Why try to stop our conversation? Should people stop you from talking about the topics that you like?
Don't listen to them. This is a thread they secretly love to read. That's why Sam came on here to recycle the same joke he used before. Continue posting your thoughts here.

But I do understand the sentiment, though. Too often this thread is stained with too much bickering, mainly because people dodge questions meant to further the discussion, and then try to hide that fact by bloviating in a long essay about some other point that no one is contending, and then getting angry when they're called out on it. Then they turn around and point the finger at the other guy and accuse them of doing exactly what they're doing. It really is remarkable. I can't get my questions answered by these people. Maybe you and I can get a discussion going.
xfrodobagginsx
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Don't listen to them. This is a thread they secretly love to read. That's why Sam came on here to recycle the same joke he used before. Continue posting your thoughts here.

But I do understand the sentiment, though. Too often this thread is stained with too much bickering, mainly because people dodge questions meant to further the discussion, and then try to hide that fact by bloviating in a long essay about some other point that no one is contending, and then getting angry when they're called out on it. Then they turn around and point the finger at the other guy and accuse them of doing exactly what they're doing. It really is remarkable. I can't get my questions answered by these people. Maybe you and I can get a discussion going.

I am willing to talk about whatever you want.
Sam Lowry
xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

The topic is fine, but I moved on a while ago. Way too much vitriol for a spiritual discussion.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Sam Lowry said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

The topic is fine, but I moved on a while ago. Way too much vitriol for a spiritual discussion.
It never stopped you before. Besides, vitriol is what happens from spiritual discussions. Jesus' ministry was a spiritual discussion, and that's what he constantly faced, unto death. Same with his apostles. Tough to bear, unpleasant, but it's the only discussion worth having, really.
xfrodobagginsx
Sam Lowry said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

All the more reason why you need to be in here discussing the truth. Don't let the enemy win by having you leave. Focus on the information and focus on who is actually backing up their beliefs with Scripture and who is using Scripture to say something that it does not say.
BusyTarpDuster2017
xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

All the more reason why you need to be in here discussing the truth. Don't let the enemy win by having you leave. Focus on the information and focus on who is actually backing up their beliefs with Scripture and who is using Scripture to say something that it does not say.
OldBear is difficult to discuss with because if he's not constantly dodging questions, he is constantly arguing strawmen - you argue that salvation is by faith alone, then he argues that what you're saying is that all we need to do is "check boxes" or "simply speak a phrase" which I don't think is what you're saying at all.

It gets even more confusing, because he argues that if we're not "walking the walk", then we're not doing our duty as Christians and so we can have our salvation taken away. I think you then asked him a very pertinent question regarding that: how many sins does it take to not be "walking the walk" and thus lose one's salvation? To which he answered "only one sin is sufficient...if you lose your faith."

Therein lies the confusing part: he first argues that losing one's salvation is works based, but then he turns around and says it's faith based. So I asked him - if he's saying salvation is ultimately faith based, then what exactly is he saying that is different from what you're saying? My attempt to get clarity from him was fruitless, because all he seems to want to do is get angry and bitter, while accusing me of anger and bitterness.

His answer was the strawman I described above. I think that is a complete and deliberate mischaracterization of what you are saying. But I should let you defend yourself, so I'll ask you the same question I asked him, which I think is only fair - what are you saying that is different from what OldBear is saying?
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster: "OldBear is difficult to discuss with because if he's not constantly dodging questions, he is constantly arguing strawmen - you argue that salvation is by faith alone, then he argues that what you're saying is that all we need to do is "check boxes" or "simply speak a phrase" which I don't think is what you're saying at all."

First, this is an ad hominem fallacy. Not only is BTD making the answer to Frodo about me instead of addressing the topic, he has inserted two false statements that I "dodge questions" and that I am "arguing strawmen". Ironically, the strawman argument (another logic fallacy) is what BTD is doing, attacking what I did not say rather than what I did.

BTD goes on to attack my point without addressing even one of the scriptures I posted to support my position. Hardly surprising from my point of view, as I am not aware of any scriptures which support his argument.

I will give BTD benefit of the doubt, since he admits to being confused. So I will explain my position yet again, in hopes that perhaps this time BTD will gain something better than high blood pressure from the discussion.
To start again, my position comes from Scripture, specifically the words and instructions from our Lord Jesus Christ. There are some who like to make an argument using Pauls' letters, which are fine except when someone applies an interpretation which would contradict what Christ said. Others make an argument purely out of their emotion and ego, such as those 'churches' which teach heresies like the Prosperity Gospel.

In Luke 6:35-36, Christ makes clear how we are to act: "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
In Matthew 5:3-12 Jesus preaches the Beatitudes, which clearly promise rewards for such behaviors as meekness, mercy, peacemaking and perseverance in the face of attacks.

But in verse 13 (also Luke 14:34-35), Christ also clearly warns "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."

This can only mean that the very thing that makes us pleasing to God can be lost. Christ is very clearly warning that we can lose our way. The same warning is in Mark 9:50

Some people like to imagine that everyone in Heaven will be the same. Yet in Matthew 6:20 Christ directs us to "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." That is proof that what we do now will be remembered when we are in Heaven, and therefore to focus on what matters. And what we do as followers of Christ serves not only to create our own reward or punishment, even after entering Heaven, but identifies what our motivation and identity as persons.

Christ clearly told us (Luke 6:44-45) "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

Also, it seems very easy to just believe and be saved. Christ warns in Matthew 7:13-14 to "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Remember that Jesus said this to the people who were following Him!

Even more, Jesus warns in Matthew 7:19-20 that "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." This is further proof that we must act in our faith, not just say we have faith.

Verse 21 even says so: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

In Luke 11:35 Jesus warns us to "See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness."

It shouldn't come as a surprise, really. If we are followers of Christ, we should be doing what He did. And what we see in the Gospel accounts is Christ doing works all the time, from teaching and healing and moral lessons to personal example. So we should do the same, as Jesus commanded. Matthew 10:24 clearly says "The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master." In Matthew 12:50 (also Mark 3:34-35, Luke 15:20) Christ clearly said "whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

In Matthew 16:27 Christ clearly said "the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done."

In Matthew 20:26-28 (also Mark 10:43-45) Jesus again commands us to act as He did, saying "whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Consider also Christ's parable of the wedding banquet. A man who was invited to the wedding, and who came, was thrown out because he was not dressed appropriately (Matthew 22:11-13). This is a clear warning that we must act as followers of Christ, not just claim the name because He offered the hope to us.

Consider also the parable of the bags of gold (Matthew 25:14-30, Luke 19:11-26). All three of the men concerned were servants of the Master, but the one who did not do as he was commanded lost his place and his blessing from the Master.

With all this said, I want to be very clear that we not only do not earn our Salvation through our works, we cannot do so. Our Lord Jesus Christ would not have endured all He did, if it were not necessary in order for us to be saved. Further, every good act we do is made possible by the grace of God, so there is glory for God when we do good, but it is not our merit from it.

But it is possible for us to lose what we have been given, otherwise Christ would not have said so often that we need to be watchful and take care. John 6:66 reminds us that after a hard saying from Christ, "many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him"

Jesus spoke plainly: "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them." (John 14:21)

Therefore we are to believe, and act on that belief according to Christ's example and direction. We are redeemed by Christ's atonement on our behalf, but only if we keep his commands and act on them do we show we live in the faith.

If you disagree with my understanding on this matter, please explain how all of these verses, from the word of Christ Himself, do not mean what they plainly say. Show the verses which support your understanding, that we may all have hearts and minds which please the Lord, and do not bicker like those who have neither faith nor hope.

xfrodobagginsx
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

OldBear is difficult to discuss with because if he's not constantly dodging questions, he is constantly arguing strawmen - you argue that salvation is by faith alone, then he argues that what you're saying is that all we need to do is "check boxes" or "simply speak a phrase" which I don't think is what you're saying at all.

It gets even more confusing, because he argues that if we're not "walking the walk", then we're not doing our duty as Christians and so we can have our salvation taken away. I think you then asked him a very pertinent question regarding that: how many sins does it take to not be "walking the walk" and thus lose one's salvation? To which he answered "only one sin is sufficient...if you lose your faith."

Therein lies the confusing part: he first argues that losing one's salvation is works based, but then he turns around and says it's faith based. So I asked him - if he's saying salvation is ultimately faith based, then what exactly is he saying that is different from what you're saying? My attempt to get clarity from him was fruitless, because all he seems to want to do is get angry and bitter, while accusing me of anger and bitterness.

His answer was the strawman I described above. I think that is a complete and deliberate mischaracterization of what you are saying. But I should let you defend yourself, so I'll ask you the same question I asked him, which I think is only fair - what are you saying that is different from what OldBear is saying?

Is this question directed at me? I believe what Paul said in his writings to the Grace age believer of today. We are saved by Grace through Faith Alone and when we do good works, it's not for Salvation, it for eternal rewards in heaven. The confusion comes in when people try to mix writings to Jews who were still under the Law with the writings of Paul to the Church under Grace. The Jews religion was very works based, which is why you get some who believe that works are part of Salvation. They refuse to consider that God dealt with the Nation of Israel differently than He dealt with the Church under Grace. Lots to go into, but I can explain better if you have any questions. There are more issues also, but this is a big part of it.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster: "OldBear is difficult to discuss with because if he's not constantly dodging questions, he is constantly arguing strawmen - you argue that salvation is by faith alone, then he argues that what you're saying is that all we need to do is "check boxes" or "simply speak a phrase" which I don't think is what you're saying at all."

First, this is an ad hominem fallacy. Not only is BTD making the answer to Frodo about me instead of addressing the topic, he has inserted two false statements that I "dodge questions" and that I am "arguing strawmen". Ironically, the strawman argument (another logic fallacy) is what BTD is doing, attacking what I did not say rather than what I did.

BTD goes on to attack my point without addressing even one of the scriptures I posted to support my position. Hardly surprising from my point of view, as I am not aware of any scriptures which support his argument.

I will give BTD benefit of the doubt, since he admits to being confused. So I will explain my position yet again, in hopes that perhaps this time BTD will gain something better than high blood pressure from the discussion.
To start again, my position comes from Scripture, specifically the words and instructions from our Lord Jesus Christ. There are some who like to make an argument using Pauls' letters, which are fine except when someone applies an interpretation which would contradict what Christ said. Others make an argument purely out of their emotion and ego, such as those 'churches' which teach heresies like the Prosperity Gospel.

In Luke 6:35-36, Christ makes clear how we are to act: "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
In Matthew 5:3-12 Jesus preaches the Beatitudes, which clearly promise rewards for such behaviors as meekness, mercy, peacemaking and perseverance in the face of attacks.

But in verse 13 (also Luke 14:34-35), Christ also clearly warns "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."

This can only mean that the very thing that makes us pleasing to God can be lost. Christ is very clearly warning that we can lose our way. The same warning is in Mark 9:50

Some people like to imagine that everyone in Heaven will be the same. Yet in Matthew 6:20 Christ directs us to "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." That is proof that what we do now will be remembered when we are in Heaven, and therefore to focus on what matters. And what we do as followers of Christ serves not only to create our own reward or punishment, even after entering Heaven, but identifies what our motivation and identity as persons.

Christ clearly told us (Luke 6:44-45) "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."

Also, it seems very easy to just believe and be saved. Christ warns in Matthew 7:13-14 to "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Remember that Jesus said this to the people who were following Him!

Even more, Jesus warns in Matthew 7:19-20 that "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." This is further proof that we must act in our faith, not just say we have faith.

Verse 21 even says so: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

In Luke 11:35 Jesus warns us to "See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness."

It shouldn't come as a surprise, really. If we are followers of Christ, we should be doing what He did. And what we see in the Gospel accounts is Christ doing works all the time, from teaching and healing and moral lessons to personal example. So we should do the same, as Jesus commanded. Matthew 10:24 clearly says "The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master." In Matthew 12:50 (also Mark 3:34-35, Luke 15:20) Christ clearly said "whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

In Matthew 16:27 Christ clearly said "the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done."

In Matthew 20:26-28 (also Mark 10:43-45) Jesus again commands us to act as He did, saying "whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Consider also Christ's parable of the wedding banquet. A man who was invited to the wedding, and who came, was thrown out because he was not dressed appropriately (Matthew 22:11-13). This is a clear warning that we must act as followers of Christ, not just claim the name because He offered the hope to us.

Consider also the parable of the bags of gold (Matthew 25:14-30, Luke 19:11-26). All three of the men concerned were servants of the Master, but the one who did not do as he was commanded lost his place and his blessing from the Master.

With all this said, I want to be very clear that we not only do not earn our Salvation through our works, we cannot do so. Our Lord Jesus Christ would not have endured all He did, if it were not necessary in order for us to be saved. Further, every good act we do is made possible by the grace of God, so there is glory for God when we do good, but it is not our merit from it.

But it is possible for us to lose what we have been given, otherwise Christ would not have said so often that we need to be watchful and take care. John 6:66 reminds us that after a hard saying from Christ, "many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him"

Jesus spoke plainly: "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them." (John 14:21)

Therefore we are to believe, and act on that belief according to Christ's example and direction. We are redeemed by Christ's atonement on our behalf, but only if we keep his commands and act on them do we show we live in the faith.

If you disagree with my understanding on this matter, please explain how all of these verses, from the word of Christ Himself, do not mean what they plainly say. Show the verses which support your understanding, that we may all have hearts and minds which please the Lord, and do not bicker like those who have neither faith nor hope.

You live an alternate world, if you are denying that you dodge questions. Everyone has witnessed it. The water baptism question. The prayers to Mary question. And now you still haven't answered my question about whether someone who doesn't "walk the walk" has real faith or not, and whether or not doing the walk (in other words, works) is how to get to heaven. Do you believe in a works based salvation?

If you read frodo's comments (or mine, for that matter) with any kind of intellectual honesty, you'd see that we're not saying that faith is "praying a prayer and saying a few phrases" or "checking boxes".

Frodo and I have used Scripture throughout this thread to support our position. Frodo has clearly explained his position of dispensationalism to explain why Jesus said what he did, you just refuse to try to understand it. Maybe you are incapable of understanding it, who knows.

So let's do this: I tried to show you how "confused" I am, not because of any fault of mine, but because of YOUR contradictory beliefs. So then clear it up for me, like I first asked you to. Don't go into your usual bloviation and dodging - STAY FOCUSED on the point. You argued that we can lose our salvation if we don't "walk the walk" -

1) does this mean you believe our salvation is dependent on our performance?

2) if so, then when frodo asked how many sins it takes to not be walking the walk, and thus lose our salvation - you answered that it wasn't about how many sins, it's about whether you lose your faith. So here you are saying salvation is faith dependent, not works dependent.

Can you resolve the contradiction? If you're saying it depends on faith only, then I bring you back to my original question: what are you saying that is different from what frodo is saying? He is saying it is faith only also.

Once you answer these, then we can "progress the discussion" to specific bible verses that deal with this discussion. Are you game?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Let me add an important point - the reason why this discussion can't progress, is specifically because YOU don't answer questions directly. You want us to quote bible verses to support our position, but we're trying to get there, but you stonewall the discussion. We are trying to get you to clarify your position, but you have an uncanny ability of making it even more unclear with your answers. It really helps to answer the question DIRECTLY.

And for the record, it isn't an "ad hominem" to say that you dodge questions and make strawman arguments when you actually DID, and that it got in the way of the discussion.
Oldbear83
So much anger.

Pity.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

So much anger.

Pity.
Thank you for demonstrating that everything I had just said is true.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

So much anger.

Pity.
All you did, BusyTarpDuster, is prove you ignore anything and anyone who does not share the same opinion as you.

I quotes Scripture, extensively, to support my position. All you have done is repeat an angry rant.

I am very sorry for your anger, but this is the truth.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

So much anger.

Pity.
All you did, BusyTarpDuster, is prove you ignore anything and anyone who does not say the same things you say.

I quotes Scripture, extensively, to support my position. All you have done is repeat an angry rant.

I am very sorry for your anger, but this is the truth.
You are proving that you are ignoring everything I had just said, and then projecting that onto others.

HOW am I ignoring what you said......when what you said and the contradictory nature of it was the point of my post?!! I QUOTED what you said! You are simply unbelievable, the level of your unawareness!

I'm giving you an opportunity to address the contradiction, but you're refusing to. You are demonstrating everything I'm saying about you to be true.
BusyTarpDuster2017
xfrodobagginsx said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Is this question directed at me? I believe what Paul said in his writings to the Grace age believer of today. We are saved by Grace through Faith Alone and when we do good works, it's not for Salvation, it for eternal rewards in heaven. The confusion comes in when people try to mix writings to Jews who were still under the Law with the writings of Paul to the Church under Grace. The Jews religion was very works based, which is why you get some who believe that works are part of Salvation. They refuse to consider that God dealt with the Nation of Israel differently than He dealt with the Church under Grace. Lots to go into, but I can explain better if you have any questions. There are more issues also, but this is a big part of it.
Of course the question is for you. I'm responding to your comment, aren't I?

And thank you for answering the question so directly and clearly. Are you saying that the difference between you and OldBear is that OldBear is arguing for salvation by works, not by grace through faith? Just to be 100% clear as to your understanding.
xfrodobagginsx
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

xfrodobagginsx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course the question is for you. I'm responding to your comment, aren't I?

And thank you for answering the question so directly and clearly. Are you saying that the difference between you and OldBear is that OldBear is arguing for salvation by works, not by grace through faith? Just to be 100% clear as to your understanding.

I think that he believes in Salvation by Grace through Faith, in order to keep it, you have to have works or you lose it. It's unbiblical , but that's what it appears to me. If you have to do works to keep your salvation, then it was never by Grace in the first place. I believe that Salvation is by Grace through Faith Alone and that works for Christ result in rewards in heaven. Nothing to do with Salvation. Look at the verses about the Judgement Seat of Christ.
Oldbear83
Frodo: " It's unbiblical "

Thanks Frodo, but I cited quite a few scriptures that support it. Since you believe differently, please examine those scriptures and explain how they do not mean what they say, or at least show me the verses which say you cannot lose your salvation even if you never do anything to serve the Lord?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

Thanks Frodo, but I cited quite a few scriptures that support it. Since you believe differently, please examine those scriptures and explain how they do not mean what they say, or at least show me the verses which say you cannot lose your salvation even if you never do anything to serve the Lord?

So is frodo correct about your belief? You believe our salvation is dependent on our performance? You believe in a works based salvation?

A simple "yes", or "no, because" will do. BE CLEAR.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

So is frodo correct about your belief? You believe our salvation is dependent on our performance? You believe in a works based salvation?

Read my long post. As I explained, it had plenty of scriptural support.

Understanding the point may take more effort than trying to win an argument, but in the end it is far more valuable to gain wisdom, for both of us. As I said, if you believe my position is wrong, please explain those how verses mean something other than what Christ Himself said.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Understanding the point may take more effort than trying to win an argument, but in the end it is far more valuable to gain wisdom, for both of us. As I said, if you believe my position is wrong, please explain those how verses mean something other than what Christ Himself said.
So.....is that a yes or no?

Why do you have such trouble answering clearly and directly, like frodo was easily able to do? This doesn't speak well to your conviction.

Now, please, answer the question. Don't refer me to previous posts. It's very easy to say "yes" or "no". We can't advance the discussion if you go on like this.
Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why do you have such trouble answering clearly and directly, like frodo was easily able to do? This doesn't speak well to your conviction.

Now, please, answer the question. Don't refer me to previous posts. It's very easy to say "yes" or "no". We can't advance the discussion if you go on like this.
I have answered you. I took the trouble to support it with Scripture.

All you have to do is consider it.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

I have answered you. I took the trouble to support it with Scripture.

All you have to do is consider it.

A simple "yes", or "no".

Your pride is getting the better of you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.