How To Get To Heaven When You Die

104,135 Views | 2084 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by Realitybites
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

The logic you've presented is wrong. You're appealing to tradition, which is wrong. The Koine Greek doesn't support your position like you think it does.

Based on the logic FROM SCRIPTURE, I've shown that your position is wrong. The fact that you can't accept the fact that the literal reading of Jesus' words shows that the Eucharist is absolutely required for salvation shows this.
This is your FALLIBLE opinion of John 6. It does not square with scripture, tradition, or history.

Why should I trust your FALLIBLE opinion over those less than 100 years away from the Source?
Not to intrude, but a few observations, if I may be so bold:

1. There is really no doubt that the Roman Catholic Church persecuted and murdered many people for alleged heresy which was really not opposed to Christ, but to the earthly power and influence of the Pope. I do not mean to impugn the present-day RCC anymore than I would blame modern Protestants for the actions of their extremists, but to deny History is to weaken credibility in other claims;

2. With all due respect, the RCC's traditions and history are not one bit more infallible than anyone else. Some writers and theologians have made compelling arguments and shown solid reasoning, but claiming long history proves nothing more than hubris.

Thank you for indulging my need to pop in on this. I leave you now to your debate on whom Jesus considers the better Christian.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Coke Bear
Realitybites said:

Today in America the argument has taken on a pseudo scientific nature: Roman Catholics arguing that the real presence of Christ demands a sort of molecular alchemy in light of atomic theory in support of their doctrine of Transubstantiation and Evangelicals / Protestants arguing in a purely symbolic meaning for communion which requires an allegorical interpretation of Jesus' words from a group of people who see almost nothing else in scripture as allegory.
I'm with you on your entire post, save the bolded part. Please clarify this because I have NEVER, EVER heard any Catholic theologian or apologist refer to the belief in the Eucharist in this manner or words.

Catholics will testify that when the words of consecration are stated in a mass by the priest, the SUBSTANCE of the bread and wine are transubstanisated into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, of Jesus while the ACCIDENTS remain unchanged.

I've never heard of a "molecular alchemy". The Orthodox and Catholic belief should be the same.
Coke Bear
Waco1947 said:

14th crusade against Protestants
Please send a credible link so that I can research it. Please list which Pope authorized this crusade, when, where, and against whom it was fought.
Coke Bear
Realitybites said:

The doctrine of transubstantiation teaches that the bread and wine become the flesh and blood of Jesus at the organic chemistry level. This is not the teaching of the church of the first millennium because the Eucharist predates both atomic theory and organic chemistry. And if there is one thing about Orthodoxy it is an absolute refusal to interpret the ancient faith through a modernist lens.
This is NOT correct. ALL of the ACCIDENTS remain the same. The SUBSTANCE changes into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

At the epiclesis, invocation, the priest acting, in persona Christi, calls down the Holy Spirit and the bread and wine are transubstanisated into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus.

He is a video from nice explanation from Catholic Answer's Trent Horn that better explains it.
Coke Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

And if the wine was really Jesus' blood, why would Jesus encourage his disciples to break the Levitical law against eating blood?:

"'I will set my face against any Israelite or any foreigner residing among them who eats blood, and I will cut them off from the people.....Therefore I say to the Israelites, "None of you may eat blood, nor may any foreigner residing among you eat blood." (Lev 17:10-12)

Wouldn't that make Jesus a sinner?
Nope. In Matthew 15:17-18 Jesus says:

17 "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person's mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.
Coke Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Look, consider the 'Hail Mary'.

For all intents and purposes, that is a prayer, and it is directed to Mary.

Roman Catholics pray to Mary.

Before you think I am conflating praying to Mary with worshipping Mary, I am not.

I am simply being clear about what is happening.

My problem with praying to Mary is this - I understand someone wanting to reconnect with parents, friends, loved ones who have passed on. But reaching out to someone you never actually met, whose culture, language, customs etc. are nothing like your own, that is frankly unwise as I see it.

And I believe you are avoiding the fact that people pray to Mary, because you understand the potential for that going wrong.

The Hail Mary is quoting scripture: Luke 1:28 and Luke 1:41-42.

When discussing this issue, as I've requested before, please use the phrase "asking for intersession" rather than "praying to". The Protestant understanding of the word "pray" is the biggest source of this misunderstanding.

We ask Mary for her intersession because NO one was closer to Jesus than her.

Quote:

St Augustine on Christmas Day

He was also the Word. Him whom the heavens cannot contain, the womb of one woman bore. She ruled our Ruler; she carried Him in whom we are; she gave milk to our Bread.

Every day...

I ask St. Joseph, the world's most perfect father, to pray for me to be a better father to my kids and husband to my wife.

I ask for St. Peregrine, patron saint of cancer victims to pray for all my friends and family with cancer.

I ask St Monica (St Augustine's mother) to pray for all those that have left the Church to return.

I ask for St. Gertrude to pray for all those souls in Purgatory.

curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I'd have to read their entire discourse to see the context for these words. You still could be reading into their interpretation, like you are Paul in 1 Corinthians.
Here is a link to:

Didache - last first century
Ignatius - 107 AD
Ireneaus - 190 D (speed tip - Control-F search with Eucharist, pg. 103-105

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Regardless, most of these quotes are 300 years after Jesus. As I already said, even if we assume they took it literally, the real question is are they right or not. The real question is whether that is actually what Jesus and his apostles taught. Are the early church fathers infallible?
I only supplied from less than 200 years of Church history so that you will see that what we have believe since the beginning.

No, the Church fathers aren't infallible. But the totality of there writing show what they believed and it has been consistently taught since 33 AD.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

No, of course I'm not infallible in my interpretation. But I'm not just giving you my interpretation. I'm giving you the reasoning, which is consistent with the whole of scripture. I think I've demonstrated how your interpretation is fallible for many reasons, one of them being because if you take Jesus literally, then the Eucharist is an absolute requirement for salvation. And that is definitely not taught by Jesus and his apostles in Scripture.
No you're giving me YOUR fallible interpretation of the the passages with YOUR logic. You are arguing against 2000 years of tradition, the Bible, and the magisterium.

ADDENDUM - I have also provide the logic behind the Catholic position, the koine Greek, the ties to the OT testament with respect to manna in the desert and the Passover meal.

The typology, the Greek, the scriptures, the fathers, and the tradition are squarely on the side on the Real Presence. Your position is based on YOUR fallible interpretation.
The logic you've presented is wrong. You're appealing to tradition, which is wrong. The Koine Greek doesn't support your position like you think it does.

Based on the logic FROM SCRIPTURE, I've shown that your position is wrong. The fact that you can't accept the fact that the literal reading of Jesus' words shows that the Eucharist is absolutely required for salvation shows this.
In typical Tarp Dusting fashion, you haven't SHOWN anything other than your invincible ignorance and overwhelming arrogance. You have nothing but your typical begging the question repeated ad nauseam.

You clearly don't understand the Trinity as you deny Christ's humanity via Mary. Inasmuch as God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one per SCRIPTURE, and Christ is fully God and fully man, and Mary imparted her humanity to Jesus, then she is truly the Theotokos. As such, she is worthy of veneration and able to intercede on our behalf, though intercession is by no means limited to Mary.

You also demonstrate a flawed understanding of the Eucharistic Feast/Mass/Communion/Lord's Supper, as believed by most Christians throughout the history of Christ's church and continuing to this day. These beliefs have their origins in first century teaching and are consistent with the teachings re the Last Supper as found in the synoptic gospels. They are also fully consistent with covenantal theology. "Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us; Therefore let us keep the feast." - Book of Common Prayer via I Cor 5:7-8. At the Eucharist, we are participating in the very room of Christ's own sacrificial offering of Himself in the forms of bread and wine. We partake of Him physically and spiritually both in obedience to His command and for our own sanctification as we re-create His once for all and all time sacrifice. How this is so, I am content to leave as a mystery, but accept on faith.

Mere Memorialism has its roots in a reaction contra Rome that is as much political as it is theological. Not hard to trace this movement to Puritans and thence to our nation's founding as well as to the flourishing of evangelical denominations and the modern phenomenon of so called "Bible" churches. No surprise that those of you who embrace the "priesthood of believers" ultimately have nowhere to stand other than upon your own interpretation of Scripture, however flawed that may be. That others may arrive at a different interpretation and claim their own authority as normative is to be expected. Ultimately it's all turtles all the way down for you, as it is for us all. In any event, you remain a tool of Satan as you needlessly attack the body of Christ.
A "tool of Satan" can not work against Satan, because a house divided can not stand. If you can not see that those prayers to Mary are idolatrous and heretical, then it's more likely that YOU are of Satan, not I.

"Do this in remembrance of me."
"A "tool of Satan" can not work against Satan". Exactly my point. You take issue with something that isn't Roman dogma and endlessly denigrate the largest body of believers ever. It's more likely YOU are of Satan.

"This is my body...this is my blood".
For the umpteenth time, it doesn't have to be Roman dogma to be a carried belief and practice of Roman Catholics. And the Marian dogmas are indeed unbiblical, not to mention idolatrous.

If Jesus was saying that the bread was literally his body, then his body was sacrificed during the Last Supper, and then again on the cross. Hebrews says his body was sacrificed "ONCE for all". And if the bread was literally his body, then according to his literal words, if you eat that bread, you have eternal life. If that were the case, then why didn't Jesus just make all the bread given during the feeding of the 5000 and 7000 his body, so that all those people could eat it and get eternal life, regardless of whether or not they believed in him? If fact, wouldn't it have easier for Jesus to make every bread on the globe his body, that way people will unknowingly eat his body and be saved, and that way he could save everyone in the world even if they don't have faith in him? Wouldn't that have been magnitudes easier than having to go the cross and suffer intensely and die, only to still lose people to hell because they don't believe in him?
Marian veneration is not "unbiblical". For the umpteenth time, Marian practices of whatever sort are not mutually exclusive with salvation nor do they preclude it. It is adiaphora to the core.

I see a lot of your typical "if" statements tortuously strung together as always. No surprise there. There is no conflict between Jesus saying the bread and wine are his body and blood and Hebrews "ONCE for all" once one has a proper understanding of the Eucharistic Feast. I suggest you study harder and try to learn something rather than continue with your juridical excess. Embrace the mystery. It will do you good, as it is intended to do.
Marian "veneration" that promotes the belief that she was sinless, that she was assumed bodily into heaven, and that she was perpetually a virgin are not biblical. Neither is Marian "veneration" that includes praying to her for intercession. Or "devotions"/prayers that call her sovereign, intercessor between sinners and God, the glory of heaven, Co-Mediatrix, or that we should entrust our soul and salvation into her hands.

Those "if" statements are called inductive reasoning. If we assume that your belief that the bread is literally Jesus' flesh, then what logically follows would fail, or be contrary to Scripture. The more logically and scripturally sound belief is that the meaning is figurative. If you'r'e not familiar with basic logic, then that's a fault on you, not me.

If the Last Supper bread was actually Jesus' body, his body was being offered as a sacrifice for the disciples to eat. How does a "proper understanding" of the Eucharist make this consistent with Hebrews 7:27 - "He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself." and Hebrews 10:10 "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."?

Not only that, how would this be consistent with the law of Torah, which forbade the eating of blood? Or whether Judas was saved or not, since he ate the bread? Or how all the times where how one gets saved is mentioned, the requirement of eating his literal flesh is never mentioned? Or how the thief on the cross got saved without partaking in the Eucharist? Just to name a few - I could go on.

I suggest you try harder and try to rightly divide the Word of God.

"If that were the case, then why didn't Jesus just make all the bread given during the feeding of the 5000 and 7000 his body, so that all those people could eat it and get eternal life, regardless of whether or not they believed in him? If fact, wouldn't it have easier for Jesus to make every bread on the globe his body, that way people will unknowingly eat his body and be saved, and that way he could save everyone in the world even if they don't have faith in him? Wouldn't that have been magnitudes easier than having to go the cross and suffer intensely and die, only to still lose people to hell because they don't believe in him?"

= silly word salad following another faulty "if".
Right. So silly and faulty, that you weren't able to answer.

There's nothing to answer. Just nonsense from you masquerading as an argument.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I'd have to read their entire discourse to see the context for these words. You still could be reading into their interpretation, like you are Paul in 1 Corinthians.
Here is a link to:

Ignatius - 107 AD

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Regardless, most of these quotes are 300 years after Jesus. As I already said, even if we assume they took it literally, the real question is are they right or not. The real question is whether that is actually what Jesus and his apostles taught. Are the early church fathers infallible?
I only supplied from less than 200 years of Church history so that you will see that what we have believe since the beginning.

No, the Church fathers aren't infallible. But the totality of there writing show what they believed and it has been consistently taught since 33 AD.

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

No, of course I'm not infallible in my interpretation. But I'm not just giving you my interpretation. I'm giving you the reasoning, which is consistent with the whole of scripture. I think I've demonstrated how your interpretation is fallible for many reasons, one of them being because if you take Jesus literally, then the Eucharist is an absolute requirement for salvation. And that is definitely not taught by Jesus and his apostles in Scripture.
No you're giving me YOUR fallible interpretation of the the passages with YOUR logic. You are arguing against 2000 years of tradition, the Bible, and the magisterium.

ADDENDUM - I have also provide the logic behind the Catholic position, the koine Greek, the ties to the OT testament with respect to manna in the desert and the Passover meal.

The typology, the Greek, the scriptures, the fathers, and the tradition are squarely on the side on the Real Presence. Your position is based on YOUR fallible interpretation.

In typical Tarp Dusting fashion, you haven't SHOWN anything other than your invincible ignorance and overwhelming arrogance. You have nothing but your typical begging the question repeated ad nauseam.

You clearly don't understand the Trinity as you deny Christ's humanity via Mary. Inasmuch as God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one per SCRIPTURE, and Christ is fully God and fully man, and Mary imparted her humanity to Jesus, then she is truly the Theotokos. As such, she is worthy of veneration and able to intercede on our behalf, though intercession is by no means limited to Mary.

You also demonstrate a flawed understanding of the Eucharistic Feast/Mass/Communion/Lord's Supper, as believed by most Christians throughout the history of Christ's church and continuing to this day. These beliefs have their origins in first century teaching and are consistent with the teachings re the Last Supper as found in the synoptic gospels. They are also fully consistent with covenantal theology. "Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us; Therefore let us keep the feast." - Book of Common Prayer via I Cor 5:7-8. At the Eucharist, we are participating in the very room of Christ's own sacrificial offering of Himself in the forms of bread and wine. We partake of Him physically and spiritually both in obedience to His command and for our own sanctification as we re-create His once for all and all time sacrifice. How this is so, I am content to leave as a mystery, but accept on faith.

Mere Memorialism has its roots in a reaction contra Rome that is as much political as it is theological. Not hard to trace this movement to Puritans and thence to our nation's founding as well as to the flourishing of evangelical denominations and the modern phenomenon of so called "Bible" churches. No surprise that those of you who embrace the "priesthood of believers" ultimately have nowhere to stand other than upon your own interpretation of Scripture, however flawed that may be. That others may arrive at a different interpretation and claim their own authority as normative is to be expected. Ultimately it's all turtles all the way down for you, as it is for us all. In any event, you remain a tool of Satan as you needlessly attack the body of Christ.
A "tool of Satan" can not work against Satan, because a house divided can not stand. If you can not see that those prayers to Mary are idolatrous and heretical, then it's more likely that YOU are of Satan, not I.

"A "tool of Satan" can not work against Satan". Exactly my point. You take issue with something that isn't Roman dogma and endlessly denigrate the largest body of believers ever. It's more likely YOU are of Satan.

For the umpteenth time, it doesn't have to be Roman dogma to be a carried belief and practice of Roman Catholics. And the Marian dogmas are indeed unbiblical, not to mention idolatrous.

If Jesus was saying that the bread was literally his body, then his body was sacrificed during the Last Supper, and then again on the cross. Hebrews says his body was sacrificed "ONCE for all". And if the bread was literally his body, then according to his literal words, if you eat that bread, you have eternal life. If that were the case, then why didn't Jesus just make all the bread given during the feeding of the 5000 and 7000 his body, so that all those people could eat it and get eternal life, regardless of whether or not they believed in him? If fact, wouldn't it have easier for Jesus to make every bread on the globe his body, that way people will unknowingly eat his body and be saved, and that way he could save everyone in the world even if they don't have faith in him? Wouldn't that have been magnitudes easier than having to go the cross and suffer intensely and die, only to still lose people to hell because they don't believe in him?
Marian veneration is not "unbiblical". For the umpteenth time, Marian practices of whatever sort are not mutually exclusive with salvation nor do they preclude it. It is adiaphora to the core.

I see a lot of your typical "if" statements tortuously strung together as always. No surprise there. There is no conflict between Jesus saying the bread and wine are his body and blood and Hebrews "ONCE for all" once one has a proper understanding of the Eucharistic Feast. I suggest you study harder and try to learn something rather than continue with your juridical excess. Embrace the mystery. It will do you good, as it is intended to do.
Marian "veneration" that promotes the belief that she was sinless, that she was assumed bodily into heaven, and that she was perpetually a virgin are not biblical. Neither is Marian "veneration" that includes praying to her for intercession. Or "devotions"/prayers that call her sovereign, intercessor between sinners and God, the glory of heaven, Co-Mediatrix, or that we should entrust our soul and salvation into her hands.

Those "if" statements are called inductive reasoning. If we assume that your belief that the bread is literally Jesus' flesh, then what logically follows would fail, or be contrary to Scripture. The more logically and scripturally sound belief is that the meaning is figurative. If you'r'e not familiar with basic logic, then that's a fault on you, not me.

If the Last Supper bread was actually Jesus' body, his body was being offered as a sacrifice for the disciples to eat. How does a "proper understanding" of the Eucharist make this consistent with Hebrews 7:27 - "He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself." and Hebrews 10:10 "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."?

Not only that, how would this be consistent with the law of Torah, which forbade the eating of blood? Or whether Judas was saved or not, since he ate the bread? Or how all the times where how one gets saved is mentioned, the requirement of eating his literal flesh is never mentioned? Or how the thief on the cross got saved without partaking in the Eucharist? Just to name a few - I could go on.

I suggest you try harder to make correct assertions in your attempts at what you pass off as "inductive reasoning".

" If we assume that your belief that the bread is literally Jesus' flesh, then what logically follows would fail, or be contrary to Scripture."

No, it doesn't. That's just your opinion.

"If Jesus was saying that the bread was literally his body, then his body was sacrificed during the Last Supper, and then again on the cross."

This "if" followed by your "then" is an incorrect conclusion. His offering at the last supper of His body is not the same thing as what happened on the cross. His death on the cross was the propitiating event.

If the offering of Jesus' body at the Last Supper is NOT the same thing as the propitiating event on the cross, then Jesus' words are false when he told them that if they eat his flesh, they will have eternal life. You can not have eternal life, if there is no propitiation.
"You can not have eternal life, if there is no propitiation." This is correct. The propitiation is His life, not His pre-crucifixion institution of the Eucharist.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Here is a link to:

Ignatius - 107 AD

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"And if the bread was literally his body, then according to his literal words, if you eat that bread, you have eternal life."

Jesus did not say if you eat my body you will have eternal life, so this assertion is wrong from its beginning. Again, you are confused about the Eucharist. Study more.
"Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." - John 6:54)

Study the bible more.

So you are finally getting around to answering my many requests at letting us all know what you take to be salvific and you are saying taking Communion/eating the literal flesh of Christ and drinking of His blood qualifies one for salvation?
curtpenn
Coke Bear said:

curtpenn said:

I've read many of his books. Can't remember where, but I do recall he speculated that all will have an opportunity post mortem to either accept Him (Christ) or reject Him personally. Short version: this encounter would account for all those who have never heard of Him. All will be judged based on how they manifested whatever portion of grace they had received in life. Definitely in the realm of speculative theology, but I believe there must be something like this.
Please double check that Peter Kreeft comment. He's written close to a 100 books, is a brilliant theologian, and at 86 still has a mind that's a sharp as a tack.

Having said that, the belief that one gets a postmortem chance at redemption is completely against Catholic and, I would guess, Protestant theology.

Kreeft is as solid and orthodox Catholic as can be. I would struggle to believe that he held this belief.
Kreeft is wonderful. I've been blessed to hear him speak a couple of times. Sorry, but too many books and too many years to recall where I found that, but I'm certain of the overall gist of it and do recall he prefaced it by saying it was speculative.
Oldbear83
"We ask Mary for her intersession because NO one was closer to Jesus than her."

Judging from the Gospel accounts, John, Peter and Mary Magdelene were all closer to Jesus than his mum.

No disrespect to Mary the Mother of Jesus, but your statement is just not so.

And it still makes no sense to reach out to someone you never actually knew, from a different time, culture and language.

God the Son, yes because He prepared for that relationship. But some other human from that time, no.

Just a bit too much like King Saul ringing up Samuel via the Witch of Endor. Not directly sinful in the case of Mary, but not a good idea.
Oldbear83
"The Hail Mary is quoting scripture: Luke 1:28 and Luke 1:41-42."

Those verses only say Mary is 'blessed among women'. It never says or implies you should pray to her.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Here is a link to:

Ignatius - 107 AD

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

As an Anglican, I am indifferent to Mary's perpetual virginity, bodily assumption, and sinlessness. That said, you cannot "prove" from Holy Scripture that she is not able to intercede on our behalf.
The argument wasn't whether I can prove she can intercede on our behalf, it was whether this belief was BIBLICAL.

You just aren't very good at this.

Quote:

"Not only that, how would this be consistent with the law of Torah, which forbade the eating of blood?" Irrelevant since Christ and His sacrifice represent a New Covenant that fulfills and replaces the old.

Think carefully about what you are saying here: if the New Covenant replaced the old during the Last Supper, then you are saying that Jesus' sacrifice took place at the Last Supper. Then if Jesus was sacrificed again at the cross, it was either a second sacrifice, which would falsify Hebrews 7:27 and 10:10, or Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was completely superfluous and unnecessary.

Quote:

"Or whether Judas was saved or not, since he ate the bread? Or how all the times where how one gets saved is mentioned, the requirement of eating his literal flesh is never mentioned? Or how the thief on the cross got saved without partaking in the Eucharist? "

Mere partaking of the elements is not salvific. Again, study the works of Jewell, Hooker, Andrewes, Cranmer, et al, and help yourself out. Sola Scriptura is a myth. We all bring our own interpretations. If you deny this, then you are deluded or a liar.
"Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have NO LIFE within you."

"Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."

If you say you take Jesus at his literal word, and deny these, then you are deluded or a liar.
""The argument wasn't whether I can prove she can intercede on our behalf, it was whether this belief was BIBLICAL.

You just aren't very good at this."

The belief that she can intercede for us can be inferred from the Bible, therefore it is BIBLICAL. You aren't very good at this.

"Think carefully about what you are saying here: if the New Covenant replaced the old during the Last Supper, then you are saying that Jesus' sacrifice took place at the Last Supper. Then if Jesus was sacrificed again at the cross, it was either a second sacrifice, which would falsify Hebrews 7:27 and 10:10, or Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was completely superfluous and unnecessary."

Typical juridical nonsense from you. Christ's atonement, death, resurrection, and the ultimate reconciliation of all His creation are all part of a process/plan that is ongoing even now. Getting hung up on this sort of folderol is laughable. Thanks for the chuckle. I needed it after the Bears' terrible game vs the Cougs.

"If you say you take Jesus at his literal word, and deny these, then you are deluded or a liar."

False dilemma fallacy. Some things are intended to be taken literally and some are not. Some things need to be understood within a greater context. Is this not exactly what you do?
Coke Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Those verses only say Mary is 'blessed among women'. It never says or implies you should pray to her.
What do you mean by "pray to her"?
Realitybites
Oldbear83 said:

And it still makes no sense to reach out to someone you never actually knew, from a different time, culture and language.

So what is your plan for when you get to heaven?
Realitybites
Coke Bear said:

This is NOT correct. ALL of the ACCIDENTS remain the same. The SUBSTANCE changes...

That's my understanding of your teaching... From the Roman Catholic catechism: " "the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of the Blood of Christ". Only the outward appearance remains unchanged.

I would say that the Orthodox teaching is on the whole closer to the Lutheran one: "Lutherans believe that the Body and Blood of Christ are "truly and substantially present in, with and under the forms" of consecrated bread and wine (the elements), so that communicants eat and drink both the elements and the true Body and Blood of Christ himself"

We also use leavened bread and In the service of Proskomide, the priest blesses the bread "in remembrance of our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ".
Oldbear83
Coke Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I already answered that. You reach out to Mary in exactly the same way you reach out to our Lord Jesus Christ. You cannot reach her by phone, mail, email, chat et cetera.

And I have made clear that praying to Mary is not the same as worshipping her, but you need to be honest about how you are reaching to her.

And because praying to Mary is the same as praying to anyone else, there is real danger of some crossing that line and changing respect for the lady into worship of her.

Asking Mary for the things we should ask from God is a warning sign.

Oldbear83
Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

In Heaven, I will greet people and get to know them just as I do here on Earth. I cannot do so now because those people are separated from Earth.

I thought that was obvious.
Waco1947
Coke Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

14th crusade against Protestants
Please send a credible link so that I can research it. Please list which Pope authorized this crusade, when, where, and against whom it was fought.
the 30 years war. Protestants killed in the name of the pope
Realitybites
Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

In Heaven, I will greet people and get to know them just as I do here on Earth. I cannot do so now because those people are separated from Earth.

Well, not obvious to someone who believes Hebrews 12:1 but intellectually consistent with a humanist philosophy that says Christians die.
Oldbear83
Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Well, not obvious to someone who believes Hebrews 12:1 but intellectually consistent with a humanist philosophy that says Christians die.
Odd. Here is Hebrews 12:1 :

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, "

Not one word of that supports your post.

And hey, nice personal shot calling me a 'humanist'. Hint boyo, humanists do not quote Scripture.

Be better.
curtpenn
Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, "

And hey, nice personal shot calling me a 'humanist'. Hint boyo, humanists do not quote Scripture.

Be better.
The "great cloud of witnesses" tells us that there are those able to see and hear us, and by inference are able to intercede on our behalf.
curtpenn
Oldbear83 said:

Coke Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

I already answered that. You reach out to Mary in exactly the same way you reach out to our Lord Jesus Christ. You cannot reach her by phone, mail, email, chat et cetera.

And I have made clear that praying to Mary is not the same as worshipping her, but you need to be honest about how you are reaching to her.

And because praying to Mary is the same as praying to anyone else, there is real danger of some crossing that line and changing respect for the lady into worship of her.

As you undoubtedly know and as been discussed repeatedly here within this very topic, there are many who see no distinction between "praying to" and talking to. That you choose to define your terms differently doesn't change anything for anyone. I'm going to speculate that no one will be cast into eternal darkness because they venerated Mary or invoked those who have gone before. Further, it is possible to speculate that many have come to Christ and/or strengthened their walk of faith as a consequence of their interactions with the great cloud of witnesses. If you believe that somehow your faith is degraded by these practices then don't engage in them.
Oldbear83
curtpenn said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Be better.
The "great cloud of witnesses" tells us that there are those able to see and hear us, and by inference are able to intercede on our behalf.
It never says we are meant to pray to those witnesses. It never says Mary has special authority in Heaven.
Oldbear83
curtpenn said:

Oldbear83 said:

Coke Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

As you undoubtedly know and as been discussed repeatedly here within this very topic, there are many who see no distinction between "praying to" and talking to. That you choose to define your terms differently doesn't change anything for anyone. I'm going to speculate that no one will be cast into eternal darkness because they venerated Mary or invoked those who have gone before. Further, it is possible to speculate that many have come to Christ and/or strengthened their walk of faith as a consequence of their interactions with the great cloud of witnesses. If you believe that somehow your faith is degraded by these practices then don't engage in them.
Assuming you have read my past posts, curtpenn, you know I do not equate 'praying to' with worship. However, one does not pray to a being the same way one talks with a person. This matters because of how one approaches the relationship.

And I do believe it is important not to assign God's authority to anyone else, even with good intentions.

And while I do agree that veneration of Mary is not a sin, I also agree that some should not engage in the practice, because they are not able to understand that Mary has no special authority as an advocate for us with Christ, at least no more than any other believer already with the Lord.

BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

This is your FALLIBLE opinion of John 6. It does not square with scripture, tradition, or history.

Why should I trust your FALLIBLE opinion over those less than 100 years away from the Source?
The question isn't my opinion vs. their opinion, the question is what is the correct understanding. A correct understanding will be consistent with the whole of scripture.

If my "opinion" of John 6 is wrong, then the literal reading of John 6 definitively shows that the Eucharist is an absolute requirement for salvation, regardless of what a person knows. So why don't you believe this?. This reveals an inconsistency/error in either your interpretation or your understanding.
xfrodobagginsx
curtpenn said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Be better.

It doesn't say that they are necessarily able to intercede for us, but perhaps they are able to.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

And if the wine was really Jesus' blood, why would Jesus encourage his disciples to break the Levitical law against eating blood?:

"'I will set my face against any Israelite or any foreigner residing among them who eats blood, and I will cut them off from the people.....Therefore I say to the Israelites, "None of you may eat blood, nor may any foreigner residing among you eat blood." (Lev 17:10-12)

17 "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person's mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.

So is Jesus saying that it's ok to break that specific command from God in the Torah?
Realitybites
Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Be better.

We *are* surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, not will be.

Disregarding scripture that doesn't line up with scientific human reasoning is the core of humanism.
BusyTarpDuster2017
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Here is a link to:

Ignatius - 107 AD

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I suggest you try harder to make correct assertions in your attempts at what you pass off as "inductive reasoning".

" If we assume that your belief that the bread is literally Jesus' flesh, then what logically follows would fail, or be contrary to Scripture."

No, it doesn't. That's just your opinion.

"If Jesus was saying that the bread was literally his body, then his body was sacrificed during the Last Supper, and then again on the cross."

This "if" followed by your "then" is an incorrect conclusion. His offering at the last supper of His body is not the same thing as what happened on the cross. His death on the cross was the propitiating event.

If the offering of Jesus' body at the Last Supper is NOT the same thing as the propitiating event on the cross, then Jesus' words are false when he told them that if they eat his flesh, they will have eternal life. You can not have eternal life, if there is no propitiation.
"You can not have eternal life, if there is no propitiation." This is correct. The propitiation is His life, not His pre-crucifixion institution of the Eucharist.
So if you don't have eternal life if there is no propitiation, and the propitiating event was the cross, NOT the Last Supper, then the disciples could NOT have been given eternal life when eating the bread (Jesus' flesh) at the Last Supper, because as you are acknowledging, there was no propitiation there. But then this would make Jesus wrong when he said that if they eat his flesh, they will have eternal life (John 6:54) - his literal words. So obviously this understanding is incorrect.
BusyTarpDuster2017
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Here is a link to:

Ignatius - 107 AD

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"And if the bread was literally his body, then according to his literal words, if you eat that bread, you have eternal life."

Jesus did not say if you eat my body you will have eternal life, so this assertion is wrong from its beginning. Again, you are confused about the Eucharist. Study more.
"Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." - John 6:54)

Study the bible more.

So you are finally getting around to answering my many requests at letting us all know what you take to be salvific and you are saying taking Communion/eating the literal flesh of Christ and drinking of His
blood qualifies one for salvation?
Interesting redirect.

curtpenn - "Jesus did not say if you eat my body you will have eternal life, so this assertion is wrong from its beginning."

Jesus - "Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." (John 6:54)

You don't even know what Jesus said relevant to the topic being discussed. And yet you've been here arguing against everything I'm saying. What's amazing is that you championed yourself as "taking Jesus at his word".....yet you don't even know his words!!

I think this clearly disqualifies your arguments.
curtpenn
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

So is Jesus saying that it's ok to break that specific command from God in the Torah?

Since Jesus is God He is not bound by Torah is he?
Oldbear83
Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Be better.

Disregarding scripture that doesn't line up with scientific human reasoning is the core of humanism.
Sorry but you are arguing something I did not say, and ignoring what I did say.

Dishonest, that. And repeating a false claim does not make you look like a Christian at all.

Having a crowd of spiritual witnesses in no way is support for claiming we should pray to them or ask for people we never met to intercede for us.

Christ does that. Yes there were and are witnesses, but again that does not change our limits, our commended actions, and our duties.
BusyTarpDuster2017
curtpenn said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Coke Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Since Jesus is God He is not bound by Torah is he?
Could Jesus break any law in the Torah, and still be the perfect sacrifice for sin? Could Jesus encourage others to break a law in the Torah, and still not be sinning?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Realitybites said:

Oldbear83 said:

Be better.

It's not disregarding scripture, it's disregarding a certain interpretation. Doing this based on honest, correct reasoning is NOT humanism.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.