Poll shows DeSantis and Haley would both perform better than Trump against Biden

26,219 Views | 550 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by boognish_bear
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

"He has originating authority while he is President. No argument.

However, it does not extend for life. The only docs that Trump has any authority over after he leaves the white house is his personal notes, tapes and memoirs. From what I understand, we are not talking those types of documents. We are talking National Security docs. Trump is citizen Trump while this happened, not President Trump. He has to work with the National Archives on what he can keep and what he can't. This isn't a King for life situation.

Jimmy Carter had originating authority so he can take a top secret doc from the white house and nobody can do nothing?? Think about what you are saying.

At the very least, like Trump being on the COL ballot, I have no problem letting the Courts decide. This is very different than the Clinton tapes or the Nixon tapes."

This is not about originating authority. This is about DOJ choosing to bypass civil litigation to answer extant questions of presidential power and instead levy criminal charges against Trump for purely political purposes. Among valid civil questions are:
-Did Trump declassify the documents prior to leaving office?
-Do prior rulings allow POTUS to deem classified materials as personal records?
There are quite a few more. You and I might disagree in substance on some of them. The proper place to sort those questions out is in civil court. And in every other instance in history, that's where issues of limits of Presidential powers have been hashed out. But civil litigation did not accomplish the political ends DOJ had in mind. First, DOJ might lose on most/all of those questions (and probably would have). Second, even if DOJ won, Trump would then have to option of complying with court order (which would render the issue moot politically).

What DOJ did instead was bypass civil litigation and proceed directly to criminal charges. All of the issues of limits of presidential powers would still have to be litigated, only under the penumbra of criminal charges which would create a never-ending fountain (for the purposes of the 2024 election) of ways to spin Trump as a crook. It deals with the issues in a way which does maximum damage to a man running for President. It's not unlike with the Colorado SC (CSC) did on the ballot issue - the majority knew full well it would get smacked down by SCOTUS, but in the meantime, it created lawfare that would sap resources and distract the Trump campaign and afforded a couple of months of helpful headlines building the narrative about the "threat to democracy."

This is not about espionage (a criminal issue). This is about the limits of presidential powers (a civil issue). DOJ has fooled you into focusing on the former rather than the latter.

Even Trump's detractors admit that had he agreed with the DOJ legal position and handed the documents back, he would not be facing charges. So why is he a criminal for disagreeing with the DOJ legal position on the question of the limits of presidential powers?

It is not a negotiation. He can disagree all he wants.m, as long as he gives them the docs they want. It is their call not his typical Trump response, it is not his call. There is enough there to see where this trial goes. If you are right, which I doubt or the Trump appointed Judge would have thrown it out, charges will be dismissed.
why do you think he needs to turn over disputed items until the dispute is resolved? Is that specific in the PRA?
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
FLBear5630
4th and Inches said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

However, it does not extend for life. The only docs that Trump has any authority over after he leaves the white house is his personal notes, tapes and memoirs. From what I understand, we are not talking those types of documents. We are talking National Security docs. Trump is citizen Trump while this happened, not President Trump. He has to work with the National Archives on what he can keep and what he can't. This isn't a King for life situation.

Jimmy Carter had originating authority so he can take a top secret doc from the white house and nobody can do nothing?? Think about what you are saying.

At the very least, like Trump being on the COL ballot, I have no problem letting the Courts decide. This is very different than the Clinton tapes or the Nixon tapes."

This is not about originating authority. This is about DOJ choosing to bypass civil litigation to answer extant questions of presidential power and instead levy criminal charges against Trump for purely political purposes. Among valid civil questions are:
There are quite a few more. You and I might disagree in substance on some of them. The proper place to sort those questions out is in civil court. And in every other instance in history, that's where issues of limits of Presidential powers have been hashed out. But civil litigation did not accomplish the political ends DOJ had in mind. First, DOJ might lose on most/all of those questions (and probably would have). Second, even if DOJ won, Trump would then have to option of complying with court order (which would render the issue moot politically).

What DOJ did instead was bypass civil litigation and proceed directly to criminal charges. All of the issues of limits of presidential powers would still have to be litigated, only under the penumbra of criminal charges which would create a never-ending fountain (for the purposes of the 2024 election) of ways to spin Trump as a crook. It deals with the issues in a way which does maximum damage to a man running for President. It's not unlike with the Colorado SC (CSC) did on the ballot issue - the majority knew full well it would get smacked down by SCOTUS, but in the meantime, it created lawfare that would sap resources and distract the Trump campaign and afforded a couple of months of helpful headlines building the narrative about the "threat to democracy."

This is not about espionage (a criminal issue). This is about the limits of presidential powers (a civil issue). DOJ has fooled you into focusing on the former rather than the latter.

Even Trump's detractors admit that had he agreed with the DOJ legal position and handed the documents back, he would not be facing charges. So why is he a criminal for disagreeing with the DOJ legal position on the question of the limits of presidential powers?

It is not a negotiation. He can disagree all he wants.m, as long as he gives them the docs they want. It is their call not his typical Trump response, it is not his call. There is enough there to see where this trial goes. If you are right, which I doubt or the Trump appointed Judge would have thrown it out, charges will be dismissed.
why do you think he needs to turn over disputed items until the dispute is resolved? Is that specific in the PRA?

Because all documents are property of the US since 1978. That means it belongs to the US Govt until it is determined it is his, especially non personal. It is not his call to keep what he wants. If NARA wants it, it is theirs.

2202. Ownership of Presidential records

The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter."

Trump needed to work with the Archivist and didn't. In addition we are talking hundreds of docs and at least 30 with National Security. It was Trump's responsibility to work with NARA not other way around. But as usual Trump CAN'T follow any rule, he does what he wants and his cult makes excuses for him.

The former President must set up a library for public transparency, this came about because of Nixon destroying docs. North and Poindexter were prosecuted. It was meant so Presidents don't white wash and destroy info. If they let Trump off, no President will follow it. I know it is Donald so he should be able to do what he wants with no repercussions. It is his schtick...

I want to see this play out.
4th and Inches
FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Because all documents are property of the US since 1978. That means it belongs to the US Govt until it is determined it is his, especially non personal. It is not his call to keep what he wants. If NARA wants it, it is theirs.

The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter."

Trump needed to work with the Archivist and didn't. In addition we are talking hundreds of docs and at least 30 with National Security. It was Trump's responsibility to work with NARA not other way around. But as usual Trump CAN'T follow any rule, he does what he wants and his cult makes excuses for him.

The former President must set up a library for public transparency, this came about because of Nixon destroying docs. North and Poindexter were prosecuted. It was meant so Presidents don't white wash and destroy info. If they let Trump off, no President will follow it. I know it is Donald so he should be able to do what he wants with no repercussions. It is his schtick...

fair enough
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
FLBear5630
4th and Inches said:

FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

fair enough
By the way, if the Judge rules he is innocent or dismisses. No problem, I accept that and then NARA and DOJ should be held to the same standard of why they prosecuted without a real case.

My usual problem is that we have processes in place for a reason and they have served us well for 200 years. They may render wrong decisions, but they are our decisions as a Nation and we all HAVE to accept them or we cease to function as a Nation. 2020 election was f-ed up, no doubt. But, like 2000, we can't start saying every election that is not pristine doesn't count and then attack Congress.

Call me old fashioned or a neo-con but our institutions are what make us the US and all of us agreeing on that is the only thing that keeps us united in some sense. It seems too popular right now to side with Russia, Europe, Palestine, Israel, Illegal Immigrants, Progressives, MAGA or the group du jour over the US. Everyone is right but the US and the actions we have taken. That can't keep up and neither Trump or Biden make that better...

That is the position from where most of my posts come, many on here don't agree.
whiterock
FYI

whiterock
A word about Haley supporters….

4th and Inches
whiterock said:

she doesnt have any other thsn the corp elites and the never trumpers

–Horace

Guy Noir
whiterock said:

I do not believe these statistics. I would like to see the way the questions had been worded and presented.
I would be in the 13% of Haley supporters that do not approve of the Biden administration.
whiterock
Guy Noir said:

whiterock said:

I do not believe these statistics. I would like to see the way the questions had been worded and presented.
I would be in the 13% of Haley supporters that do not approve of the Biden administration.
I agree that the number sounds high. But it's pretty clear Dems are (or at least were) engaging in an Operation Chaos, where party affiliation law allows, to prevent Trump from sealing the deal early.

One of my closer friends is a Haley donor. He will likely vote libertarian. His wife will likely vote Trump. If Trump were to pick Haley, he'd probably get them both....

most Republicans are ready for the primary to end and get on with the general. that would include the quarter to a third of the party that isn't particularly excited (sic) about Trump. Vast majority of that cohort sees the handwriting on the wall. The neverTrumper bitter-enders are very, very loud, but very, very few in number.
boognish_bear
4th and Inches
boognish_bear said:

grift worked well for her

–Horace

Whiskey Pete
boognish_bear said:

Those democrat backers sure know how to spend money. Just look at how much they gave Beto in his Senate bid a few years ago.
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
FLBear5630
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
Not sure I see it. But, destroying any future candidate when you are following a 78 year old Trump, just doesn't seem to make sense. Trump won, he is the nominee. MAGA seems to think there can be only one - Donald.
Osodecentx
FLBear5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
Not sure I see it. But, destroying any future candidate when you are following a 78 year old Trump, just doesn't seem to make sense. Trump won, he is the nominee. MAGA seems to think there can be only one - Donald.

Didn't realize 4th was that hardcore
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

FLBear5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?

Didn't realize 4th was that hardcore
he's just pointing out the obvious. Most of Nikki's money came from Democrat donors who were simply trying to disrupt Trump's nomination. Same is true, to a lesser degree, about her voters, large majorities of which were Democrats crossing over into the GOP primary for the same reason. Both dynamics have been well-documented.

It is amusing to see the portrayal of "MAGA" as some kind of fringe group that has seized the GOP in a palace coup and will evaporate into obscurity when he's termed out. In reality, it's just....the Republican Party, which has a leader with preponderant support within the party.
4th and Inches
FLBear5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
it is well known that you dont see it..

You are typically a well thought of and intellegent poster in this forum but anything Trump seems to cloud your vision pretty heavy.

–Horace

4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
seemed obvious. A look at campaign donors and where her vote totals came from might settle the muddy water

–Horace

FLBear5630
4th and Inches said:

FLBear5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
it is well known that you dont see it..

You are typically a well thought of and intellegent poster in this forum but anything Trump seems to cloud your vision pretty heavy.
That is actually my same evaluation of several of you! I am pretty comfortable listing the facts on Trump and his actions in the past to support my positions on Trump.

I do give him credit for what he did, I have said numerous times his 2016 policies are not the problem. Although he is going extreme on his tariffs this time! To put in another word, he is combat ineffective and we don't have time. He is a walking obstruction.

Just because I don't see Trump as viable doesn't mean I think Biden or the Squad are any better! The Dems are better organized and work together much better than the GOP. Things like Greene now calling for Johnson's job because he came to an agreement on a CR, doesn't help the GOP.
boognish_bear
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?
seemed obvious. A look at campaign donors and where her vote totals came from might settle the muddy water

Is she selling Bibles? Tennis shoes? Mug shots?

Is she using campaign donations for bond to save her property?

4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

boognish_bear said:

What was the grift?

Is she selling Bibles? Tennis shoes? Mug shots?

Is she using campaign donations for bond to save her property?

the bible is weird..

The shoes and mug shot Ts are brilliant..

Who knows what she is doing with it.. its hers and Dems gave it to her which is awesome in my book

–Horace

boognish_bear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Guy Noir said:

GrowlTowel said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Only tells the preliminary story. After debating Biden, Haley would flat out destroy him. As would DeSantis. After debating Biden, Trump would figure out how to seem like he had even worse dementia.
Trump wants no part of any debate stage at this point. He has made that very clear. Very disappointing.

Honest question - why? What about him or his positions are unclear to anyone at this point?

Trump has not addressed how he will control spending and how he will control inflation.
Yes he has. He will balance the budget and put us on plan to wipe out our national debt in 8 years. you just have to trust him. Roughly half of America does. I am not sure if this includes the 8 trillion he added
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.