Campus Protests

34,125 Views | 956 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by ShooterTX
Wangchung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The "From the river to the sea" chant is about wiping Israel off the map.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Frank Galvin
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

I have repeatedly said there should be arrests for actual crimes, whether that be unlawful assemnby, trespass, assault, etc. And that has happened. Its just that speech is not one of those crimes.

As far as the evil left, you might note that it all conservatives on this thread who want to restrain and punish speech.
It isn't evil to want to restrain and punish speech that promotes or incites violence. Anyone who is honest knows that "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" is speech that has been acted on many times before, leading to the violent deaths of Americans and Israelis.

I still want an answer to my previous question: do you believe that if someone says they will kill another person on a future date five years from now (so, not imminently) that it should be legal to say, and should be protected speech?

First, I said "imminent" is judged by juries on the facts of each case. Because there is no hard and fast rule, there could be circumstances under which the threat you described is criminal.

Second, to the extent the threat is not imminent I said it is legal and protected, not that it should be.
That's what I'm asking you - do YOU, Frank Galvin, think that speech should be legal and protected?

Do you believe that ANY threat to someone's life, regardless of the timeframe they put on it (imminence), should be illegal, and considered unprotected speech?

I don't think chanting Death to America by itself should be illegal. Just like burning the American flag should not be illegal.
Don't play games. Clearly we were talking about the threat to kill someone in five years, not the "Death to America" chant. An accomplished lawyer should not have lost track so easily.

I'll ask again: do you believe it should be perfectly legal to threaten to kill someone on a future date, and that it should be protected speech?
I have given you the answer before. Maybe, maybe not.

It is a case by case basis because the issue is whether it is a credible threat.

If a twelve-year old says it? If a drunk says it? If it is an obvious joke?

Frank Galvin
Wangchung said:

I agree. Hamas contends that Palestine should self-rule the territory. It does not contend that all Jews should die.
Wangchung
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

I agree. That is not the same as the people that live there. Hamas contends that Palestine should self-rule the territory. It does not cotned that all Jews should die.
My recollection is that the countries surrounding Israel aren't too fond of them, either...
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
CammoTX
Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

I agree. That is not the same as the people that live there. Hamas contends that Palestine should self-rule the territory. It does not cotned that all Jews should die.
My recollection is that the countries surrounding Israel aren't too fond of them, either...

Jordan would like a word
Frank Galvin
Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Its irrelevant because it is not going to happen.
Wangchung
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

But will they try again? Or just keep using Hamas to do their dirty work through terrorism and propaganda wars?
boognish_bear
Frank Galvin
Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

But will they try again? Or just keep using Hamas to do their dirty work through terrorism and propaganda wars?
My personal opinion is that Hamas chose now to start the war in part because it did not like the thawing of Israel's relatinonship witht he rest of the Arab world. It needed to provoke Israel to kill more Arabs.
Wangchung
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

My personal opinion is that Hamas chose now to start the war in part because it did not like the thawing of Israel's relatinonship witht he rest of the Arab world. It needed to provoke Israel to kill more Arabs.
A reasonable assumption. IMHO we have funded/allowed Iran access to $16,000,000,000 between Obama and Biden(not the opinion part yet) and that money has funded everything from the newly well armed Houthis to the newly invigorated Palestinians(Opinion). Similar to how this administration told Putin that a minor incursion into Ukraine would see a limited US response but now we are funding Ukraine's full scale war.
J.R.
The_barBEARian said:

Redbrickbear said:

Mike Johnson is positioning himself well as the Uniparty, Globalist, Zionist candidate in 2028
pull that tin foil hat up from your eyes, son.
J.R.
The_barBEARian said:

Redbrickbear said:

Do we really have to keep up this charade that America isn't under a Zionist Occupied Government, aka ZOG.

I wouldn't even mind it if they actually cared about anyone but themselves...
please explain how Merca is under ZOG? That is a new one on me. Do tell. However, you are not good at explaining yourself when called out. Specifically, I asked you numerous times to detail when you said "people like me are leading this country into the abyss", Please explain both amazing statements.
Oldbear83
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

I agree. Hamas contends that Palestine should self-rule the territory. It does not contend that all Jews should die.
It goes a ways towards it, though. From the 1988 Hamas Covenant:

Article Seven - "The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, has said:
Quote:

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (evidently a certain kind of tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Moslem)."

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BusyTarpDuster2017
Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Frank Galvin said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

I have repeatedly said there should be arrests for actual crimes, whether that be unlawful assemnby, trespass, assault, etc. And that has happened. Its just that speech is not one of those crimes.

As far as the evil left, you might note that it all conservatives on this thread who want to restrain and punish speech.
It isn't evil to want to restrain and punish speech that promotes or incites violence. Anyone who is honest knows that "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" is speech that has been acted on many times before, leading to the violent deaths of Americans and Israelis.

I still want an answer to my previous question: do you believe that if someone says they will kill another person on a future date five years from now (so, not imminently) that it should be legal to say, and should be protected speech?

First, I said "imminent" is judged by juries on the facts of each case. Because there is no hard and fast rule, there could be circumstances under which the threat you described is criminal.

Second, to the extent the threat is not imminent I said it is legal and protected, not that it should be.
That's what I'm asking you - do YOU, Frank Galvin, think that speech should be legal and protected?

Do you believe that ANY threat to someone's life, regardless of the timeframe they put on it (imminence), should be illegal, and considered unprotected speech?

I don't think chanting Death to America by itself should be illegal. Just like burning the American flag should not be illegal.
Don't play games. Clearly we were talking about the threat to kill someone in five years, not the "Death to America" chant. An accomplished lawyer should not have lost track so easily.

I'll ask again: do you believe it should be perfectly legal to threaten to kill someone on a future date, and that it should be protected speech?
I have given you the answer before. Maybe, maybe not.

It is a case by case basis because the issue is whether it is a credible threat.

If a twelve-year old says it? If a drunk says it? If it is an obvious joke?

Assume it is a credible threat. We are isolating the concept of "imminence" here. If everything about the threat is real and credible, then what say you?
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Pretty wild that it has come to this

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Meanwhile in Waco…

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
boognish_bear said:

Meanwhile in Waco…

At least our snowflakes are smart enough to not go all out Jihad. If UT doesn't squash this terrorist rhetoric, I hope they get bulldozed.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Harrison Bergeron
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Have to find a way to BLAME TRUMP!
Forest Bueller
BearN said:

The_barBEARian said:

BearN said:

Whites make up over 70% of the population in this country, and have never been seriously threatened with bodily harm en masse in this country. Christians (not talking about inter-denomination fights early in our history) have not been seriously threatened with bodily harm en masse in this country.

Jews are a minority. They make up less than 3% of our population, and are being threatened with bodily harm all over this country. Hundreds of thousands of protestors in this country are calling for mass extinction of the Jews.

This is something quite different.

Totally false.

BLM riots were much worse and they were not pro-black, they were anti-white riots.

Normal white people were assaulted and even a few were killed. Haven't seen these anti-zionist riots get anywhere close to the "summer of love"

This is absurd. BLM riots were nothing like what we are seeing now.

You are absolutely correct, BLM protests actually burned out businesses, completely looted out other businesses, burned and ransacked government buildings and KILLED people. They are nothing alike. Hopefully it stays that way. Real violence is certainly possible.
Harrison Bergeron
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Fair ... just the ones in Israel.
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear said:

Meanwhile in Waco…

Don't get to comfortable with the normality triumphalism

There are people in our administration and our faculty who would love to make Baylor like ut-Austin.

And over the past 8 years they have made some serious inroads
The_barBEARian
Redbrickbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Meanwhile in Waco…

There are people in our administration and our faculty who would love to make Baylor like ut-Austin.

Is Malcom Foley still being paid by Baylor to spread anti-whiteism?
boognish_bear
Frank Galvin
Harrison Bergeron said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Huh?

Why would that be Trump's fault? I give him props for his Mideast work while being uncomfortable with his celebrating the Saudi's given their brutality on human rights issues.
90sBear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

90sBear said:

Go back to accusing people of lying since you don't want to talk about thread topic anymore.
I've asked you repeatedly - did I have sufficient cause for it, or no?

The fact that you won't answer says it all, and that your argument against me has failed. Go away.
Yes, yes, you are right (because you say so). Even though you don't cite any laws and say other people are lying when they do.

Toodles.
Yes, yes, I'm SO wrong, that you are completely unable to argue why.

"Toodles" is exactly what you said when you argued with me for 2 pages about absolute vs. relative truth and later realized you had been proven wrong.
Yeah you quoted logic in that thread about as well as you quoted law in this one. But I remember you won! (Because you said so).
Right, that's why you couldn't answer the question there, just as you are completely unable to answer them here. If you disagree, then prove me wrong - answer it: if a certain hypothetical scenario contains "x", then is it absolute truth that the hypothetical scenario contains "x"?

You won't, and we all will know why.
I won't because I'm not going to derail this thread. However, if you would like I will create another thread later where I will respond to that question.
Likely excuse. In lesser words than what you just posted, you could have easily answered it. I don't need to create a whole other thread for it, the question is right before you now. You balked. I've proven my point.
Oh well. I offered.
It's a ONE WORD answer. So it required even less words than what you just posted right here. Nice try.

What exactly was the question?
He is saying I'm right only because I "say so". So I'm reminding him of a past debate where I asked him: "if a hypothetical scenario contains "x", then is it absolute truth that the hypothetical scenario contains 'x'?"

The only correct answer is "yes". The above is a tautology. Logically, tautologies are always true no matter what, therefore they are absolute truths. His answer, however, was that it is a relative truth. I'm demonstrating how he was clearly wrong, and I was clearly right, and it was based on logic and reason, NOT simply "because I said so".
Just for you and to help keep this thread from getting derailed because that's rude to everyone else who wants to stay on topic:

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/139135/replies/3728867
Redbrickbear
The_barBEARian said:

Redbrickbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Meanwhile in Waco…

Is Malcom Foley still being paid by Baylor to spread anti-whiteism?

Oh yea he is still on campus and "advising" the President.
Oldbear83
Looks like "Free Speech Week" (as they advertised it) was 6 months ago.

The little mobbies should have planned better.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Harrison Bergeron
Frank Galvin said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Huh?

Why would that be Trump's fault? I give him props for his Mideast work while being uncomfortable with his celebrating the Saudi's given their brutality on human rights issues.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek ... realize completely lost online.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.